“Always wonderful”
Review of Rundlestone Lodge

Rundlestone Lodge
Ranked #7 of 33 Hotels in Banff
Reviewed May 24, 2013

We have stayed at the rundlestone multiple times and it has always been a wonderful experience great staff and overall just a cozy hotel and friendly atmosphere i always recommend the rundlestone to anyone who is visiting banff.

Room Tip: King Jacuzzi suite will never disappoint.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Rundlestone Lodge

Reviewed May 21, 2013

The Rundlestone Lodge is a nice hotel. It is a bit older as with most of the hotels in Banff but is well kept.

The lobby is nice and has a very large wood burning fireplace. You could smell the wood burning fire through the hotel and while I loved it if you are sensitive to smoke or don't like wood burning fire smell then maybe stay elsewhere. I thought it was cozy and wonderful atmosphere for Banff!

The rooms are a fair size and ours at least had a balcony which was a wonderful feature and if it had been summer would have been taken advantage of more! The view out the hotel is nice. It's Banff, it basically can't be bad :) We stayed facing the street and it was still quiet in our room. Further down the main strip it might be loud at night facing that way but the Rundlestone is at the edge of the main area and perfect for a quiet nights sleep while being walking distance from the action!

The hotel and the rooms are very clean and comfortable. The staff was friendly.

We didn't order room service or use the hotel restaurant. While the restaurant is updated and quite nice looking it just wasn't too busy while we were there and didn't give off an aura of "come in come in" so we went next door to the Keg.

The pool area is nice and bright. It is large and well kept. The hot tub is nice and warm. The only addition I would make is to up the temperature of the pool area as it got a bit chilly walking around in your swimsuit and also make the pool warmer. I couldn't swim much as it was too cold for me to enjoy. We were also there in March and I believe the pool area is partially glass to the outside so the temperature may be much warmer and tolerable in summer when it is sunny and hot out.

We will definitely check out the Rundlestone again!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Kim S
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Fireplace, private hot tub and king bed... what more could you want! The staff were helpful and friendly. You can even order some fresh popcorn to accompany their selection of movies on offer. The fireplace and hot tub were exactly what we felt like after day of snowboarding.

We only used the restaurant for breakfast but the meals did not disappoint! Not the best value breakfast I have ever had but you got what you pay for. We got a decent rate on the room because we stayed mid week. (about $150 a night for the king jacuzzi suite).

Room Tip: King jacuzzi suite is definitely worth the extra couple of bucks!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Henry B
Reviewed May 8, 2013

My in-laws stayed for about a week and my 4-month old and I had our own room for a copule of nights. We didn't use their crib/playpen that was offered as I had brought my own playpen, but didn't use it as we had an unexpected king size bed. (not complaining)

The room itself was so huge that I never collapsed my full size stroller. There was a nice size patio and had great views.

The dinning room was nice, there was one night that the two wait staff had an almost full dinning room and were struggling with service. There was a tour bus full of people that were staying at the hotel, don't understand why they didn't bring in extra staff, overall we had a good dinning experience.

Underground parking was abundant, but the front doors have two steps and no ramp. When I had first exited the building for a walk, the front desk staff, who said hi to me and noticed the stroller, didn't say anything about the steps out front and I carefully took my stroller down. When we came back, I had carefully taken the stoller up the steps. When I made this issue known to the front desk, they had mentioned that there was a ramp on the north side of the building but that I would've had to come in (leaving my baby unattended outside wasn't going to happen) and have a staff member open the door as it locks from the inside. The ramp wasn't noticeable from the outside (no signage).

Room Tip: Unless coming and going from the garage, there are steps at the front entrance and no signage for th...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Josamdo
Reviewed April 29, 2013

We stayed at the Rundlestone Lodge for one night in April and it was a very positive experience.
We had a loft kitchen suite with a wood burning fireplace. I don't know many hotels that have real wood burning fireplaces in the room so that would certainly be a bonus for travelers. While we only stayed one night, this would be a very good place to spend a few days. You could cook your own breakfasts in your room, buy groceries for lunch and store them in the hotel room fridge, and then save money for eating out at night.

Our room was the perfect size for two adults and one or two small children. We had a king sized bed upstairs in the loft for us and then we had a pull out couch on the main floor for our son. We put him to bed upstairs and then moved him down when we went to bed. This worked well. If you wanted two beds, the Rundlestone has many different kinds of suites and lofts so you just have to view the various kinds of rooms on their website.

We enjoyed the swimming pool and loved that the pool had a large shallow end that our 4 year old could play in - and touch the bottom. Myself I liked the hot tub. We also liked that the pool area was really quiet and peaceful when we were there on a Sunday night. We had the whole facility to ourselves both times we went in.

The front desk staff were very friendly and made us feel at home. They were very clear that if we had any questions, problems, or concerns, that we should contact them and that they would happily assist us in any way. It was some of the best service I've had at a resort or hotel.

We also appreciated the location of the hotel. It wasn't right downtown so was nice and quiet. There was a playground next door and you could easily walk downtown if you wanted to eat out or do some shopping.

The free underground parking was a bonus for Banff. A bonus for most hotels in fact! Yay for this extra service.

Finally, the restaurant has great hours for families, opening early in the evening at 5 I believe, and then opening at 6:30am for breakfast. It was great having a restaurant on site so that we didn't have to go far to find food. On the constructive side, the restaurant had just hired new staff with their grand re-opening and some of the staff still had a bit of learning to do. We waited over 20 minutes for our bill the first night for example. The food was also merely average for a steak house. We both ordered steak and found it to be more well done than we had ordered. The salad bar was mediocre and the restaurant needs to get plastic cups for the kids instead of giving them big glass goblets.

All in all, a great stay.
More information on our stay along with photos can be found on my personal blog: http://www.rockiesfamilyadventures.com/2013/04/spring-energy-shot-in-banff.html

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank CalgaryGirlYYC
RundlestoneFOM, Front Office Manager at Rundlestone Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded May 4, 2013

Many thanks for the detailed, well-balanced feedback.

Naturally with opening of a new restaurant, there are teething troubles with staffing, efficiency and consistency. All feedback therefore will help us improve the experience for our customers, so 'thank you' for your thoughts. They have been forwarded to the restaurant manager for review with his team. We thought you were absolutely right about the plastic cups for children and now have them on order!

It was lovely to read your thoughts on the hotel and suite. It really is a pleasure to receive an insight into your stay experience and wonderful to learn you enjoyed interacting with the staff and were able to enjoy the many included amenities the Rundlestone Lodge offers.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Banff!

Reviewed April 18, 2013

This was a pretty decent hotel and we would certainly stay here again. Rooms were clean and staff friendly. I cannot comment on the restaurant since it was closed for reservations while we were there. The only thing I would do differently is request a room with an outside view rather then a view of the pool (We just left the curtains closed).

Room Tip: Don't get a room with a "pool" view.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kelly G
Reviewed April 10, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights and paid approx $80 per night. We really enjoyed our stay. Room was cozy and bed was excellent. We had a pool view room. Hot tub and pool area were nice to enjoy in the evening. Onsite restaurant but we ventured into Banff each night. Loved the indoor parking which kept our vehicle nice and warm.

We enjoyed our stay however I feel that we would stay somewhere closer to the town centre as we like to have dinner and drinks out and I don't like walking 15 mins to town or waiting 40-50 minutes for a bus. The price was perfect for us though and I would return if this was the case.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple