“Ridiculously Good Pizza”

Cuisines: Pizza, Pub
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed December 19, 2013

I love the Bear St Tavern it always has something going on and great specials pretty much every night of the week. I would reccomend any of the pizzas as they do live up to their slogan of 'ridiculously good pizza'.

I have had other food there and it was just as good as the pizzas. Great atmosphere, always busy and i love the open bar and kitchen.

The staff always seem to be having a good time and are always friendly. I have happened to have the same server 3 times now and she is great and its nice to be rememered when you walk in somewhere instead of being just another customer.
Bear St Tavern would have to be my favourite little local place in Banff.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,384)

Reviewed December 14, 2013

Travelling with a ,2yr old has its drawbacks when looking for evening meals, but this was a great choice. Initially we felt that the front of house young women were bothered by us, but we were seated quickly and our charming Australian waitress made up for everything and the food was great. We were served quickly, the childs meal coming out first which was very helpful, she cleaned the plate of macaroni cheese off so it must have been good! our pizzas were lovely.

Reviewed November 28, 2013

My wife and I stopped at the Bear St. Tavern after reading through TA. WOW! Everything about this place was unique. On a Thursday afternoon we found ourselves seated at the bar ordering a Big Bird pizza and an Okanagon Springs Brewmaster Black Lager. The pizza was like nothing you will ever find in a chain restaurant. Outside of a deep dish pizza from Chicago this is the best pizza I have ever ate. Kate steered us right when she suggested we drizzle a little chil oil and honey on the pizza. This added a whole dimension of flavors! Surprisingly, I also felt this was great value. Beer, pizza, tax and a tip came in less than $30. If you are anywhere near Banff and enjoy great pizza and a beer be sure to stop here.

1  Thank psdfan
Reviewed November 14, 2013

We ate here after eating at the Bison on a previous visit and loved it but wanted something a little cheaper and as this is owned by the same people knew it couldn't be bad and we were right. They were so busy we had to eat at the bar so would recommend booking. The food was great but some of the starters are huge so beware of over ordering. Nice choice of wine too and not that pricey.

1  Thank soozsuff
Reviewed November 12, 2013

The food in this restuarant is great. We are frequent customers and have never had an issue with the food or service at the restuarant. Their pizza is amazing and they have a great beer selection including some choices that they don't have elsewhere.

Unfortunately, despite all this I don't think we will be going back. They make it very clear that kids are welcome and in fact they have a great kids menu. However, this weekend when we showed up with 3 young kids, the hostess made it pretty clear that it was a bother for us (and the kids) to be there. She was rude from the time we walked in the door. She repeatedly scowled at us as we tried to take up as little room possible in the tiny front entrance way where she had us wait. It got worse when about half way through our hour long wait (we were told 20 - 30 minutes) for a table, my 1 year old accidently knocked over a cheap plastic picture frame in the very cramped hall as we were jostling around trying to stay out of people's way. My husband was holding her and as he got out of the way for a smaller group of customers, she grabbed it and it fell. I told the hostess what happened and her reaction was unreal, immediately storming to the manager and making a huge display over cheap picture frame broken accidently by what had otherwise been a very well behaved little girl.

So the moral of the story is, if it's just adults, the food and atmosphere are great and it's well worth even the hour long wait we had. However, despite kids being welcome, you may end up feeling like yours shouldn't be there....If you have kids with you, especially little ones I would go elsewhere. There are a lot of real family restuarants in Banff. Even the fancy one we went to for dinner that night was much better with the kids.

I should note that the rest of service was great, including the rest of the staff with the kids. Eventually another person allowed us to wait in seating section that wasn't open, out of the tiny entrance way and waitress brought us water ect and offered up appetizers. Once we got a table the service was great. Sadly I don't I would take a child into any restuarant where I might run into that hostess....it kind of ruins your dinning experience.

1  Thank Vino888