“Great little Eatery and Bar”

The Bear Street Tavern
Ranked #14 of 151 Restaurants in Banff
Cuisines: Pizza, Pub
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed March 1, 2013

We had dinner on a busy night and we didn't even have to wait for a table near the window. Prompt service while not being overbearing. So many people but seeming to have a good time out for dinner so it was easy to unwind here. Looking out the window was a nice ice-sculpture in a outdoor garden area. We had some amazing cocktails then ordered the specials of the night which were Calzone. Delicious to say the least, so a very enjoyable night in all particularly after a day at the ski fields. Would love to go again!

1  Thank Andy L
Write a ReviewReviews (1,383)

Reviewed February 24, 2013

I must start off my saying that we THOUGHT we were dining at the Bison (which has really good reviews) and instead somehow we ate at the Bear Street Tavern and didn't realize it til afterwards. Apparently the two places are affiliated and there was no indication we were eating at the "bear street tavern" when we walked through a door with a sign "The Bison"!!
So anyway... we came for lunch. Ordered the pizza, pork ribs and kids menu mac n cheese. Everything was excellent except for the $22 pork ribs which were surprisingly bad. They were tough and dry. I didn't think it was difficult to get pork ribs wrong, they are usually pretty foolproof. Not just a little tough and dry, but through and through every single one.
The kids mac n cheese was homemade and wonderful. The pizza was great, not a crumb of leftover. The ribs came with a coleslaw that was homemade and authentic and interesting and yummy! The ribs also came with a corn bread but it was mediocre and nothing to write home about. They should get a new recipe for that one. I personally like it when a corn bread has a few kernels of whole corn here and there, not just a boring over-ground corn loaf.
If it wasn't for the pork ribs I'd say we'd come back.

1  Thank WellWellTravelled
Reviewed February 12, 2013 via mobile

The restaurant was nice, but I ordered out. I went here purely on yelp reviews. It was pretty expensive and the food, at least to me, was not worth the hype. The thin crust was mostly burned and dry, I had to saturate it in some garlic dip. It was not crazy awesome like yelp alluded.

2  Thank Geminithecat
Reviewed February 10, 2013

After a day boarding all we wanted was a laid back atmosphere and a beer. The place was busy so we sat on the high tables near the bar. Customer service was fantastic, pizza was tasty, we got two pizzas between the two of us so we could half of each. Try the local beers! Enjoyed watching the game whilst eating.

1  Thank McClusk
Reviewed February 5, 2013

After a great day on the hill we were looking for some pizza. After some asking of the locals we were told to head to the Bear Street Tavern. Mondays offer 10 dollar pizzas and cheap beer. The place was packed and so we sat at the bar but it was good with lots of space per person so you didn't feel crowded. Ryan our bartender/server was very attentive and all around great. We tried some of his favorites as far as pizza goes and I am glad we did. The pizza is the best pizza I have ever had.....bar none!! Service was great, food was great, and beer was better!! Will be back every time I get to Banff.

1  Thank JeffOCrawford