“A really, really good experience”

The Bear Street Tavern
Ranked #9 of 147 Restaurants in Banff
Cuisines: Pizza, Pub
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Calgary, Canada
“A really, really good experience”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

I really enjoyed my dinner at the Bear Street Tavern. My wife and I were in Banff with our toddler and we needed an nice easy spot for dinner that would be child-friendly but doesn't sacrifice quality (we avoid large chain restaurants whenever possible).

The quality of the food far surpasses typical pub fare and my pizza (the Godfather) was absolutely delicious. My son was able to happily colour away with the provided crayons and both my wife and I really enjoyed ourselves. The beer selection was good and it's nice to see the Grizzly Paw represented (a great Canmore institution).

I think the BST would be a great choice after a day of skiing and I hope to test that theory this winter. Highly recommended.

1 Thank TDF_Abroad

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
Seattle, Washington
“Yummy Pizza...”
Reviewed October 14, 2012

At the recommendation of our hotel, we went here on a Monday night for $10 pizza. Our expectations were diminished a bit when we were told even before being seated that we would have a 45 minute wait for food. I asked if that also applied to drinks (I can always wait longer if I have a cocktail). She checked, and fortunately, it did not. We were seated within 10 minutes, ordered our drinks and food, and ended up waiting no more than 30 minutes. The food was really delicious. I had a vegetarian pizza, and it was better than any veggie pizza I've had. This place has great ambience, excellent food, and was worth the short wait. We were tempted to return for $10 calzone the next night, but why get in a restaurant rut on vacation? Oh yes, and the service was beyond good. Our server was friendly and very efficient. We will return!

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank grollett
Calgary, Canada
“It's Ok”
Reviewed October 13, 2012

We stopped for a late lunch, but really wanted the Bison upstairs, which was not open yet. We asked if they had the menu downstairs, but the hostess misunderstood and said yes. It was almost 3 so after the lunch rush, and the table she, wanted to sit us at was so small, for 2, and nestled on the wall between 2 small booths, where we could acutally rub elbows with the diners in the booths, how awful for them. That table should absolutely be removed from the floor. My husband asked if we could have one of the many empty tables for 4 and she unhappily let us pick a spot, after pointing out it was a table for 4 - a bad beginning, and very poor customer appreciation. We shared the chowder soup (amazing, very good), the meatballs (good but underseasoned), and the perogie/sausage skillet - ok, but deep fried, and refried, and a poor menu choice on our part. The wine was good, and our server was sweet and did a great job. The restaurant layout is too crowed in the dining area, but sitting at the bar looks fun. Surprisingly the restaurant was full of flies, which is a big turn-off for me. Everyone was swooshing them away from their food. All in all it looks like a fun place for a younger crowd, and the pizza looked interesting.

1 Thank Chestermere
Radium Hot Springs, British Columbia, Canada
“Good food, good atmosphere”
Reviewed October 9, 2012

I've been here twice. Both occasions were busy but worth the wait. Cozy and upbeat atmosphere. Pizza was great, everyone in our party enjoyed what they had. I would highly recommend this restaurant if you want to kick back, have a few drinks and enjoy good food. If your looking for an in and out type of place, look elsewhere.

• Visited February 2012
1 Thank Stephanie S
Miami, Florida
“Good pizza, good beer, what more can you ask for?”
Reviewed October 5, 2012

We asked at the desk of our hotel where we could get a good pizza. As Americans, we had noticed a pizza joint in Banff named after a prominent northeastern U.S. city noted for many things (chowder, founding fathers, odd accents) but not pizza. We were not sent there. Instead, the delightful young concierge directed us to Bear Street Tavern. We would not have noticed Bear Street Tavern from the actual street as it's pretty unassuming, but inside is lively and crowded. We ordered a Margherita pizza, on special, a Grumpy Bear Honey Wheat Beer from the local Grizzly Paw Brewery (also on special) and a Caesar salad. The Caesar salad resembled a Caesar salad in that it was made of romaine. There, the resemblance stopped. The salad had meat in it and a balsamic-based dressing (or so it tasted to us), but it was very good and we had no complaints. The pizza is thin-crust, crispy and tasty. They serve it with honey, which you mix with chili oil, which you then dip your pizza in. it was surprisingly tasty. The beer was very good and even better, very cold. The service was friendly, if a tad slow, but that may be because the place was packed. The veggie pizza was also on special, but it was out. That's what we really wanted, but we enjoyed the Margherita very much. All in all, Bear Street Tavern hit the spot.

1 Thank summerocean15