“Wife loved it, I'm more reserved about it.”

Waldhaus Restaurant
Ranked #50 of 143 Restaurants in Banff
Cuisines: German, Swiss, European
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Scenic view, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Transit: There is a bus service run by the town which runs approximately every 40 minutes into Banff. Fare is $2.00 per person. The bus operates daily from 6:35 a.m. until 11:15 p.m. See the concierge desk for a town bus schedules which are subject to change without notice.
Description: Nestled in the woods above the Bow and Spray rivers, you will find our Bavarian cottage-style Waldhaus Restaurant. Feast on a hearty menu featuring authentic Alpine cuisine, including Schnitzel and Fondue, in an atmosphere reminiscent of an old hunting cottage. Dark wood paneling, a large fireplace, and a beautiful wine cabinet housing an excellent wine selection, set the tone for a memorable dining experience in our "House in the Forest".
Santa Fe, NM
“Wife loved it, I'm more reserved about it.”
Reviewed July 16, 2014

This review is for the formal restaurant, not the outdoor pub. We went to the Waldhaus given my wife's craving for German food. Before descending to the restaurant we wandered through the Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel, which is definitely worth experiencing. The views from both the hotel and the restaurant can't be beat. We watched the moonrise over the Rockies from the restaurant. Wow! My wife loved the weinerschnitzel and is something of a gourmand on it. I haven't been exposed to German meals very often so can't offer an opinion. But, the restaurant atmosphere was congenial and the staff was attentive.

• Visited July 2014

Carrollton, Texas
“Everything was great!”
Reviewed July 11, 2014 via mobile

For appetizers, my wife had the tomato soup and said it was delicious. I had the beet salad which was a spring mix with thinly sliced purple and yellow beets. I thought it was great, even if the appetizers were a little pricey. For the main course, we had the jagger schnitzel and the prime Striploin. Both were wonderful and good sized portions. For the quality and size, I felt the main courses were priced reasonably, for such a nice restaurant. The service was friendly, prompt, and attentive. We were too full to have dessert, so can't comment on those. We will definitely eat here again if we are in Banff again. The walk down to the restaurant was a little steep and slick right after a rain, so we were glad that there was a shuttle back to the hotel afterwards.

Visited June 2014
Yellowknife, Canada
“Great view, food just ok”
Reviewed July 2, 2014

Had dinner here late evening, the views can't be beat! It was a bit chilly but there are warmers out on the patio (definitely eat on the patio!) Was a bit disappointed with the menu for the patio, I'm not sure if there's more available inside but I found it a bit limited (the patio is part of the pub). I was excited to warm up with some tomato soup but it was very disappointing, a bit cold and not very tasty. I had wings which were ok. My girlfriend had some kind of sausage with fries which was good. Actually, the fries were my favourite part of dinner! We also had a pitcher of sangria, it was delicious. Service also great, everyone friendly. Definitely recommend hitting the patio for some drinks and snacks!

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank Wendy M
Digby, Canada
“Great food and Service”
Reviewed June 25, 2014

Great German food and the service was excellent - appropriately attentive without being obnoxious. Highly recommended.

Visited May 2014
Texas
“Good food, not-so-great service”
Reviewed June 19, 2014

This review is for the Pub downstairs. This restaurant has beautiful views. We had a fun time watching the golfers take shots over the river, and a cute goose that seemed to enjoy hopping in the river and riding the current, only to get out, walk up river and do it again. But I'm always wary when you walk into a restaurant and the waitress tells you to take a seat anywhere you like, because from the get-go it seems no one takes responsibility for you. This felt like the case at the Waldhaus pub last night. While we were given menus immediately, and our order was taken in a reasonable amount of time, there was a real hurry hurry hurry feeling from the waitresses as they ran all over the place trying to cover all the bases. The table next to us waited a long time, and finally asked for a server. They waited another long time and were gathering their jackets and purses to leave when someone finally showed up. Another table was asking where the food was they had ordered some time ago. As for us, we ended up with a big bunch of salty food, which was tasty, but by then the drinks were empty and our waitress was gone before we could ask for refills. We had ordered a couple of appetizers, but weren't given any plates. When we finally did get drink refills, my husband's margarita tasted completely unlike the identical drink he'd ordered before, and very bland, as if some of the ingredients had been left out. Everyone was very nice, and the food was expensive but good. I think they just needed a couple more servers so they wouldn't be overwhelmed.

• Visited June 2014