“Very special artists' retreat”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Banff
Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity
Ranked #11 of 32 Hotels in Banff
Philadelphia
“Very special artists' retreat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2014

What an amazing place. This is a flagship artists retreat in North America. (Ah, US., why can't you respect and support the arts as much as our Canadian neighbors?). Theater, dance, visual artists, jazz musicians: all living, studying, eating and performing together in these great facilities. You stay in upscale dorms (no frills but just fine) and eat in your choice of dining areas by using a card with money on it. I loved seeing the jazz students performing at night at the onsite jazz club.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
  • Korean first
Pitt Meadows, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

Banff Center is a beautiful setting and it is obviously popular for conferences. However, despite the other reviews I found the hotel and service a disappointment. Reception while definitely polite simply was not informative. I asked some questions the first day and they gave me an answer, but it was not clear -- I did not understand why I was being charged so much for meal packages but there seemed to be so little. The meal package I had with the conference was forced on me with my conference enrollment. Other than a few conference snacks I did not take advantage of the package. Why, well mainly because I was busy over lunch preparing for my presentation. Dinner which I would have taken advantage of, was not included, and the package added on 100 to the bill daily. The parking is outside of the hotel in a down the hill lot which is fine, but on the second day when other conferences were in full swing, it was difficult because if you left your spot there may not be a spot for you when you came back. The hotel is about 2 km from town so you can walk, but you had better be in shape. Fitness area is lovely, but it is outside in another building and it was raining, so be prepared. The walls of the rooms are thin so you an hear people sneeze in the next room.

The wifi is excellent and does connect very well. I was on the road side so it was also noisy from the cars or someone starting up their vehicle in the morning and playing loud music. Not the hotels fault but annoying

Beds are good, but the pillows are pretty soft.

So...I think that it is good, but it has a dorm like feel to it, and the price is high, but for Banff maybe not so bad. If you do not have a car it is not easy to get around, but if you are fit and able its ok.

I think the overall service and information could be better, and it may be that my experience is with newer or younger staff......but it was odd.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the road side are quite quiet ..or so I was told. Just make sure you are clear on a...
1 Thank lyone1955
JimOlver, Guest Relations Manager at Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity, responded to this review, June 11, 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor. In particular I appreciate the detail you have included which I have shared with our management team.
Best wishes,
Calgary
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2014

This is my second time at this centre for work related activities, an overnight retreat.
Service- Exceptional! Every staff person I encountered was friendly, courteous and overall a delight!
Room- I was in the reception/arrivals building my room was beautiful, comfortable, clean with an incredible view.
Food- the best part of this centre! Every meal is amazing, so many options, including vegan/vegetarian/gluten free. Everything I tried was so tasty!
Board rooms/retreat service- so comfortable, snacks and coffee all day long with fast service. You never went without anything you could possible need. WiFi was so speedy!
If you are looking for a space surrounded by the most beautiful scenery, quiet and tranquil this is the place for you!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
JimOlver, Guest Relations Manager at Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity, responded to this review, May 28, 2014
Roseline, thank you very much for your detailed post! I look forward to your next visit to The Banff Centre. Please let me know when you are coming so that I can be sure to meet you!
Warm regards JimOlver
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2014

I recently had the pleasure to stay at this property during a conference towards the end of April 2014. I travel a lot for work and can tell you this was by far one of the best properties I've stayed at during my travels for the following reasons:

1) WIFI IS AWESOME - you can connect for free throughout most of the property without the hassle of finding a password or having to pay for anything. I traveled here from the states, so you can imagine my relief when I found out I had access to wifi from almost anywhere on the property - huge savings to my international phone bill!

2) Gym - they have a full gym onsite and for anyone that works out 6+ days/week like me, trust me when I say this, hands down one of the best hotel gyms I've been to.

3) Staff - everyone was extremely nice and welcoming from the front desk staff to the food servers and bartenders. Even Jim Olver (Director of Customer Services) was around the entire conference introducing himself and making sure everyone was having an excellent time. It's pretty standard to be reactive when you're in charge of customer services and a whole different level when you're proactively introducing yourself, making guests feel comfortable and very welcome like Jim did the entire time.

4) Location - It's beautiful. If you can't tell from the pictures, go there and experience it for yourself.

Hope this is helpful for anyone traveling to the area!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
JimOlver, Guest Relations Manager at Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity, responded to this review, May 8, 2014
Rob, thanks for your Post: WIFI, Gym, Staff Location! Thanks for your ongoing support and I look forward to your next visit to The Banff Centre. Best Wishes
MYRTLE BEACH
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2014

Spent one night at The Banff Centre on a tip from a friend. They rent out to individuals if the conferences they have don't take over all the rooms --- I never enjoyed any of the food services but the story is they are good. I stayed in the Professional Development Centre based on Trip Advisor reviews saying it was more modern and I was quite happy with the room. The grounds are very peaceful and the walk to town is not bad. I would come back here again.

Room Tip: PDC is more modern then the other place but is also a bit more expensive.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Thanks for sharing your experiences in this post. I look forward to meeting you next time you visit.
Best Wishes
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2014 via mobile

Spent the weekend for the Alberta Hotel and Lodging Association's annual conference. Some minor maintenance issues in my room, but it didn't take away from the experience.

Some of the absolute best customer service I've ever experienced.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Tyrel, thank you for taking the time to post your comments. We were very proud to host the annual conference for the Alberta Hotel & Motel Association. We work very hard on our customer service and I am delighted that you felt it. I look forward to your return!
Crescent Beach, B.C.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2014

With organizers from across Canada, I attended a writers' conference at the Banff Centre and stayed onsite. The rooms were most comfortable and clean. Meals served buffet style were varied and excellent. Conference rooms, equipment and all facilities first class. From being greeted at the front desk upon arrival to warm friendly staff throughout, our stay was amazing.I'd highly recommend The Banff Centre to artists, musicians and creative groups of every ilk.
On site facilities such as world-class library, sports and aquatic centre, hiking trails and, of course, skiing, are all at hand.

Room Tip: Everything at night was absolutely peaceful. Even during the day, peace reigned throughout.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
JimOlver, Guest Relations Manager at Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
Mr. Nuttal-Smith, thank you for taking the time to share your recent experiences at The Banff Centre on Trip Advisor! I have shared your comments with our service team. Please come back soon!