“Very disappointed with this dining experience”
Review of Bistro Cafe De Paris - CLOSED

Bistro Cafe De Paris
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Description: This restaurant is no longer open
Reviewed July 11, 2013

We booked at the Bistro for our Anniversary meal on the 11 July. Having not visited The town before before we chose this restaurant from the booklet 'Dining in Banff'. However as a long serving reviewer with TA I committed the cardinal sin of not checking the restaurant out first and I'm afraid I regretted that decision. The first impressions were very favourable and we were shown to a lovely table with gorgeous views, our waitress Natalie was friendly and attentive without being overbearing. My companion chose the special which was a Salad followed by Elk, served with red cabbage and mashed potato. Overall she found her meal tasty, having never tasted elk before she'd expected it to taste a bit like venison and was surprised to find the flavour much more gamey. My starter was a Caesar salad which was ok, though I do miss anchovies when they don't make an appearance as they should. I chose Veal escalopes for my main which was served with home made French fries, one slice of red pepper, one small parsnip, and half a carrot, more a garnish than a serving of vegetables. The veal had been fried to the point where it was dry and rather inedible, such a shame for such a beautiful delicate meat. I felt quite short changed.
To console ourselves my companion and I went to the excellent Moo Ice cream shop across the road and had one of their delicious cones. All in all I would have to say that the Bistro Cafe De Paris was overpriced for what we had, and we also found the wine prices fierce compared to UK.

1  Thank buckpoolloon

Reviewed June 21, 2013

We ate dinner here our second night in Banff. Service was good, the menu had interesting, different choices, and our selections were good (I had the escargots and Rocky Mountain trout). The trout was delicious.

1  Thank Grice-Fearing
Reviewed June 13, 2013

We ate in the less expensive half of the restaurant called the Beaujolais Cafe. We had the beef bourguignon with puff pastry dome and a filet with peppercorn sauce. The bourguignon was served in a huge container that was half filled and covered with the puff pastry. The meat and potatoes were unevenly cooked. Some soft and tender; other pieces hard and slightly tough. The filet and peppercorn sauce were good but not fabulous. Probably one of the better places to eat in Banff but not as good as we are accustomed to.

1  Thank lonestartravels
Reviewed June 11, 2013

We ate at the Bistro within the Beaujolais. We wanted to really like it because the people are lovely, from the friendly girl on the door to the lady on the desk and our utterly delightful waitress. It’s just that the food was overall disappointing. The Bistro is a cheaper offshoot of the restaurant (although still not cheap) where the dishes are a little less elaborate, but you’d still expect a high standard of food. The first off-note was that we had to wait ages for our food, and that when the place was half empty. For that we received apologies and a complementary glass of wine, so that was a good response. Unfortunately when the food did come it fell a bit short of that with one dish dry and uninteresting and the other overcooked. We were left disappointed and feeling we hadn’t had value for money. Such a shame.

1  Thank A&A_F-L
Reviewed June 6, 2013

We visited this restaurant on the evening of Sunday 19th May 2013. Liked the look of the Bistro Menu so decided to try it. Seated by a window, so plenty to see outside. Staff were incredibly friendly and attentive (not in your face though). We were offered the normal Bistro Menu, and the Sunday 3 course "Special". This was priced at $35 per person, so we decided to try this. Starter was a beautiful salad with poached eggs and Parma ham, with a delicious dressing (plenty for the two of us!). This was followed by an Alberta Chateaubriand, five vegetables and pommes frites, served on a covered salver placed on a hot plate, which meant we could help ourselves and the food stayed hot when we wanted more. The Chateaubriand was magnificent, cooked to perfection, and delicious. Quite the best I've ever had. Then the desserts! My husband enjoyed them both (I was too full to eat more, but they were presented in a truly beautiful way, please see the photo). We were really cosseted, and the meal has to be one of the best I've ever had. Well done to all the staff!

1  Thank SHew999