“Owner Isn't Nice !!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Banff
Banff Squirrel's Nest Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #9 of 28 Banff B&B and Inns
Saint John, Canada
“Owner Isn't Nice !!”
Reviewed August 2, 2012

Check-in time was limited to one hour between 4:00 and 5:00pm. We had to pay in cash, and I was not offered a receipt and had to go back and ask for one.

Our plans had changed and we were not able to cancel our second night, which was fair since it was last minute. The owner told us he would try to fill the room, and we understood that we would be refunded our money if he was able to fill it. He was able to fill the room for our second night, but instead of giving us back a full refund of $125. CDN he told us that he had "told the other people that they could have the room for $40."

I really can't stand being lied to, and I would rather Calvin just not give me back any money rather than lie. He knew that we knew he was lying and after some conversation increased the refund to $60.

I would not stay at the Banff Squirrel's Nest B&B again just on principle. Any of the amenities or helpful tips that we were given were over-powered by the cheap lies for a money grab. It left me with a bad taste in my mouth.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
14 Thank Helen F

Brasilia
Reviewed July 8, 2012

I agree with other reviews about the price: it was the same I payed for a HOTEL in Vancouver! Breakfast also could be a little better... BUT all Banff is expensive - we arrived without hotel and had to circle around to check prices. It was a holliday and all the B&B's were full. We found big hotels with cheaper prices, specially a little outside town, but they all looked so 1960's!! Old halls, old stains, smelly old rooms! I'm very allergic, so when I saw the rooms in this B&B, I was relieved! They have carpets, that I hate, but you can't avoid them in Banff. This inn's carpets are new, with no smell of mold; the room was very clean and they all have bathroom. The owners are very nice, but you only see them at night because they have other jobs - we didn't mind because we know this sometimes occurs with B&B. If you need tips of places to visit or where to eat, ask the owners the night before! :) The location is nice, in a quiet street, but within walking distance to the main avenue, with restaurants and shops. We stayed in a room in the lower floor, with half windows. We didn't hear late foot noise from upstairs or the train, that passes near, but I have to confess that we were always so tired of hiking all day, that maybe an elefant walking upstairs would not awake us...

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lina_Brasil
Manila
Reviewed July 17, 2011

The place was clean and comfortable. Breakfast was more than simple continental. They had Tim Horton's muffins, yogurt, english muffins and different kinds of cereal. Paula, our hostess provided maps and helpful tips on where to go and what sights to see. She was very friendly and took extra effort to make us feel welcome.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank yearly_traveller_46
upstate NY
Reviewed August 31, 2010

This B&B is in a nice location in Banff if you're looking to walk around town, shop, dine, and people watch. Check-in time is very limited and we had to come back twice before anyone answered our knock on the door. Breakfast consists of helping yourself to a variety of cereals, toast, english muffins, yogurt, OJ, coffee, tea. Parking is on the street, which can present a problem if there's an event going on in town. Price is good relative to other accommodations in the area.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank adkkev2
Edmonton, AB
Reviewed August 13, 2010

Stayed 2 nights at the Squirrels Nest Bed and Breakfast in Banff.
It is about a 5 minute walk from downtown Banff. The house was clean, and the owners very friendly and accommodating. We met one of the staff members, a friendly young lady who recently immigrated from Japan.
There were 2 other groups staying there during our stay: one French family from Quebec, and an elderly couple from Japan. Was nice to visit with them!

The beds are extremely comfortable (we slept VERY well), and having an en suite bathroom was a huge plus.

Breakfast was okay - a selection of cereals, yogurt, toast, and English muffins. Coffee, tea, juice, and milk were available to drink. The owners discourage people from bringing in outside food. Even though the breakfast was fine, I would have really enjoyed a hot meal (ex. pancakes, bacon, etc) as we have had this at other bed and breakfasts. I just thought that for the price we paid, we should have gotten a better breakfast out of the deal.

There is a lovely living room just off the kitchen with comfortable couches, books about the Rocky Mountains, and tv with satellite. The one thing I missed was having my own tv in the evening. When my husband and I came back from a long day of hiking, we just wanted to unwind and watch some television, but it was already being used by the French family. Not a big deal, but would have been nice to have our own tv in our room.

The man of the house was awesome! He was kind enough to sit down and show us the best tourist attractions on a map of Banff / Lake Louise. He also recommended restaurants. We tried one he suggested, "Melissa's." Middle of the road pricing with great food! Would go there again.

My husband and I did a lot of exploring during our 3 days there.
We went to Lake Louise, Moraine Lake (it was even better than Lake Louise, in my opinion - much prettier!), Johnson's Canyon, Tunnel Mountain, and the Cascade Gardens in Banff. We also did a bit of shopping and exploring downtown Banff, which is beautiful. Most of the shops are quite expensive, be we managed to find some great deals.

The local movie theater is quite affordable, and a nice way to end a busy day of hiking.
I really wish we could have tried the East Indian restaurant in town. The smell emanating from that place was marvelous! I definitely recommend checking out the local thrift store, located on the lower level of the mall beside the movie theater. I am always on the look out for a bargain, and there were some really neat things in there!

Would definitely recommend the Squirrels Nest Bed and Breakfast.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank ilovechadkrause
Montreal
Reviewed September 12, 2009

We stayed over with a group of friends and this is a cozy place to stay over. The bathroom spaces seemed a bit small, but the location was easy to find and close to the centre of Banff. It was felt a bit over-priced as the breakfast is simple, but it's a homely stomping ground with friendly hosts who were welcoming even for a late check-in.

Overall, it's a nice place for an over-night stop over and cozy enough to give it a homely feeling.

Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank Techyling
Med Hat AB
Reviewed September 8, 2009

It is basic, but it is clean, neat and tidy. No tv or drinks facilities in the room but they were available just outside of the door. Close to down town, easy to find, great location for Banff. Book direct far cheaper. Banff is a great town, if you look you will see the bargins.
This is one of them.