“Rustic Charm, Rusty Service”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Banff
Storm Mountain Lodge & Cabins
Ranked #1 of 18 Specialty Lodging in Banff
Reviewed September 3, 2006

Dating back to the 1920s, the lodge is wonderfully rustic as was the cabin we stayed in. Our friends stayed in one of the newer pine cabins, which had a nice kitchenette and was also very comfortable. The location was very convenient as we did several day hikes in Banff and near Lake Louise. The only problem is customer service. When we checked in, we were quoted a rate significantly higher than we had reserved. Fortunately, when we made the reservation (many months earlier) we INSISTED on a printed receipt. We had to request it several times, but thank goodness we did since it was our only proof of the quoted rate. Still, check-out was a lenthy process due to the convoluted bookkeeping system. The other problem is that the lodge is regularly used by a bicycle tour group. While we were there, the restaurant ran out of dinner entrees one evening, and the breakfast buffet was consistently wiped out by the time we got there (even at 8 AM). We were lucky to get a piece of fruit and we had to ask for everything, from a cup of water to an extra napkin. The setting is really quite beautiful and we didn't see any other accomodations that we liked better in the area, but we couldn't help imaging what a little bit of organization & planning would do to make this perfect.

Stayed: August 2006
7  Thank Wander_PDX

Reviewed August 23, 2006

Wonderful setting, very nice lodge, and quaint cabins (though not so good on the lighting). The only problem was that breakfast offerings become scarcer in the later morning hours.

Stayed: August 2006
6  Thank Murundanga
Reviewed August 1, 2006

Expecting to treat my family to a special experience at the end of our Canadian Rockies vacation (which otherwise turned out to be a beautiful ! trip with us staying at several fine places in Canmore, Banff, and Jasper) I booked the final 2 days at Storm Mountain based on what I'd seen of it on the web. Although not too much more expensive than the others, Storm Mountain was our most expensive booking. In this price range, most places have some real bonuses and some minor deficiencies. But Storm Mountain lodge was a near total disappointment. Yes, they provided a log cabin with some nice superficial touches (though some might find the faux snowshoe lamps a bit over) but our cabin's view was of the bustling highway through a few trees, which failed to block the day and night sounds of the rush of cars and trucks climbing the hill at 90k. In the midst of the view through the trees to the highway (NO view of the mountains!) was what I at first took to be an attempt to add some additional parking by landfilling in a short roadway. On closer inspection with eyes and nose, I concluded that "landfill" was an appropriate description. Walking down the main driveway to the road to see to see the view of the mountains, I passed this fill and picked up an unmistakable odor of gas. Occasionally during the night, perhaps when the wind shifted, the smell made it to the cabin.
If there were any hiking trails nearby, I didn't find them and wasn't told about them.
We were only provided with two sets of towels for three persons - oddly, when I arrived and even before we checked in, I was told that we might find the accomodations a little snug - would I like to book an additional cabin at a discount? (We did not find the cabin too snug for us, rather we found it too close to the road and not at all a mountain cabin-like experrience.)
We did not get to try the food. We left early the next day to return to one of our prior lodgings, where they were happy to book us for one day on short notice. Of course, Storm Mountain charged us for both days though they offered to reduce the second day to half-price if they were able to rebook the cabin - they weren't able to do so.
Perhaps others find Storm Mountain Lodge charming. Perhaps we just weren't the right people. Just make sure this is what you want before booking there.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
9  Thank Hiker0
Reviewed July 23, 2006

My wife and I have spent many summers hiking and winters skiing in the Canadian Rockies.
We have stayed in the 4 star hotels ( Fairmont Banff Springs, Chateau Lake Louise and Jasper Park Lodge as well as the Moraine Lake Lodge ) these are all elegant places to stay and very expensive especially in the summer when you must pay for activities you don’t necessarily want.

We stayed in the Tunnel Mountain Lodge, Rundelstone Lodge (avoid) and the Brewster Mountain Lodge (intown). These are all basic lodging.

By far the best place in the Rockies is Storm Mountain Lodge. Located between Banff and Lake Louise, it is a renovated camp from the heyday if the Canadian Railroad. It consists of a central Lodge, Now the shop, lounge, bar and restaurant. You stay in individual log cabins each with a fireplace and full bath. Some have kitchenettes. Very romantic!

It is perfectly located for most of the premier hikes in the Rockies (see: “Don’t Waste Your Time Hiking in the Canadian Rockies”) and the two best ski areas, Lake Louise and Sunshine. The restaurant is wonderful. It was chosen by the Canadian Prime Ministers for a dinner meeting.
The family that owns and runs the lodge are great. Last winter the loaned us there dog to take us on a X-C ski adventure.

Don’t miss this lodge. edlangrall@aol.com

Stayed: June 2006
5  Thank EdLangrall
Reviewed July 7, 2006

A brief stay in cabin number 6 was a fascinating and atmospheric stop - great to be outside Banff itself. You quickly realise that the Lodge and cabins date from 1920's, and the lodge had the feel of part-remembered Cary Grant films! The cabin smelt strongly of wood smoke, and (although it was the start of June) we were told that extra wood was available behind the lodge if it was needed for the hearth in the cabin.

A small bathroom with claw-foot bath has been built into the corner of the cabin, with basin in the main room, and the huge logs of the cabin walls are decorated with snow-raquets! We were travelling through and therefore one night was brilliant. A few paces to the Lodge where the fire kept us warm while we played chess, waiting dinner - a busy and popular place, with the tables set in the enclosed wrap-around former terrace to the Lodge. Good food, as was a serve-yourself breakfast of baked goodies, and coffee.

A little road noise from the trucks climbing the pass, but otherwise an atmospheric and good stay.

• Stayed: June 2006
6  Thank The-Saxons
Reviewed May 29, 2006

I tried to book with Storm Mountain Lodge having read the excellent reviews on your site. My credit card details were taken but I was then informed that no cabins were available on the dates I requested. I booked elsewhere. On returning home I discovered that my credit card had nonetheless been charged 153 dollars for a night's accomodation. Despite repeated emails and phonecalls, none of my messages have been returned and money had not been credited to my account. I was told they had no record of the charge, in spite of the fact that it is clearly shown on my statement. I completely understand that administrative mistakes are bound to occur from time to time but the neglectful attitude of the management and their failure even to respond to my emails make a very poor impression indeed. I would strongly advise other travellers to think twice before risking a similar experience. I am now taking legal advice.

• Stayed: May 2006
14  Thank MissMilner
A TripAdvisor Member
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed March 15, 2006

My wife and I recently got married in Banff at the end of December, and Storm Mountain Lodge was where we spent the first few nights of our honeymoon. It turned out to be everything that we could've hoped for.

We spent three days and nights in one of the log cabins through their Christmas Package, which included dinner for two of the nights. Since we didn't get there until late the first night, it worked out perfectly.

The cabin was beautiful and cozy and the real wood fire was a treat. The dining, as has been mentioned already, was excellent. We especially enjoyed the fact that they would space out dinner reservations so as to keep the laid-back, intimacy of the place.

This is a gorgeous place and we know that we'll be back numerous times.

• Stayed: December 2005