Back in the 1920's when there was little development in the Rockies, it's easy to see why this spot was chosen, surrounded by such magnificent mountains and close by to the rail lines.
Today it is just an hour from Calgary, but you feel like you are back in time, away from it all.
We had one of the original cabins with a large river rock fireplace and nice little front porch. It was on the front of the property nearer the road than some, but while other reviews noticed traffic noise from the highway, we did not at all. Could be the snow in winter muffles the sound.
The highlight for us was the combo of the secluded cabin feel combined with the cozy and friendly lodge with sofas and restaurant. Very pleasantly surprised that a lodge with mostly just guests eating there, maintains such a high standard. Very, very good food -comparable to some of the best in restaurant-rich Calgary. Great gift shop too- not your usual kitsch - very thoughtful and interesting clothes and gifts.
Went x-country skiing at Castle Junction (10 mins away) then did the snowshoe loop (about an hour outing) next morning, which started right near our cabin.
Overall a bit pricey considering it is funky....but we went on a Sunday and got dinner and breakfast included for about the same price as just the cabin on a Sat night....and hey funky in the woods beats luxury surrounded by asphalt when it comes to enjoying the Rockies.
We will return for another peaceful getaway.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Storm Mountain Lodge was constructed in 1922 as one of eight Bungalow Camps built by Canadian Pacific Railway to promote tourism in the Rocky Mountains. Our Banff Park cabins and lodge offer guests exceptional accommodations and cuisine amidst the majestic Canadian Rockies. Whether its a romantic getaway, weekend retreat, family vacation or a Canadian Rockies wedding, Storm Mountain Lodge provides an ideal setting. Guests will experience delicious Canadian cuisine prepared with a dedication to organic ingredients and naturally raised Alberta meat and wild fish pared with Canada's finest selection of wine. All of our breads, desserts and breakfast pastries are baked daily on site. The Historic Log Cabins provide guests with amenities such as wood-burning fireplaces, antique soaker tubs and offer a cozy place to relax! Stay at our Banff lodge and make the most of your Canadian Rockies vacation. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com and Travelocity so you can book your Storm Mountain Lodge & Cabins reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Storm Mountain Lodge And Cabins
- Storm Mountain Lodge & Cabins Hotel Banff
- Storm Mountain Banff