Brewster's Mountain Lodge
Fox Hotel & Suites(Banff)(Great Value!)
$234
$217
Hotels.com
Douglas Fir Resort & Chalets(Banff)(Great Value!)
$152
$145
Hidden Ridge Resort(Banff)(Great Value!)
$217
  • Restaurant
Fairmont Banff Springs(Banff)
$388
  • Restaurant
Banff Aspen Lodge(Banff)(Great Value!)
$228
$218
$226
$193
$320
$263
Orbitz.com
1,057 results
All reviewsgreat locationcontinental breakfastunderground parkingcaribou streetyogurtcentral locationcentre of townmagpiedowntown banffstreet noiseper nightstandard roomshops and restaurantsthe main streetcomfortable hotelski busloft room
Reviewed January 18, 2008

We have stayed twice at this hotel as part of a ski trip. The first was Feb 06 in a superior room, the second Feb 07 normal room.

Both stays at the hotel have been good and we would stay there again. The rooms are clean and of a good size. The extra for a superior room is not really worth it, one king size bed instead of two queen size and the room only slightly bigger.

Our time spent in the hotel was minimal but I would say that it is a good base for skiing.

The breakfast is basic but it is enough to see you through to lunch.

A member of our group did comment on the noise from the alley as other comments have noted and also the ice machine noise.

Everything is of easy access, shops, food, bars, ski hire.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled with friends
2  Thank Doddove
Reviewed October 19, 2007

When we picked Banff as a destination, we were hoping for a quiet getaway with a few lazy opportunities to see the area. We got exactly what we were looking for! Brewster's was accommodating and the staff went out of their way to make us feel comfortable. We got a quiet room at the end of the hall with its own balcony for a very decent rate for a resort town. The whirlpool and sauna were spotless, and the time of year that we went lent itself to having the hotel almost to ourselves. The only time we ran into people within the hotel was occasionally in the hall and at the continental breakfast (pastries and beverages). Overall, it was a perfect location for us to be: downtown, parking below the lodge, with a low-key atmosphere and a warm fire in the evenings.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank RiKiTiKiNiKi
Reviewed October 15, 2007

Brewster’s Mountain Lodge

We’ve stayed at Brewster’s Mountain Lodge many times in the past, and I’ve submitted a review to TripAdvisor for every stay. After our most recent visit, however, we won’t be returning. We stayed on for a Saturday and Sunday night in the latter half of September 2007.

The room itself was pleasant and clean, as always, although it was slightly annoying that the electric kettle in this particular room was too tall to be filled more than half full in the bathroom sink. Luckily, half full was all that was needed.

The main problem was the room’s location: facing an alley, and also close to the street. At 11 pm, when the restaurants close, there was a burst of noise from the street, as rowdy partygoers ended up outside. My husband looked out the window and saw a group of about 20 people in the street. The voices and laughter from the street continued off and on until 2 a.m. Then, at 6 a.m., the garbage trucks arrived in the alley below. Although they did not have obnoxiously loud beepers, the noise of the trucks themselves, picking up and crushing trash, was enough to keep us awake for the 15 minutes or so that it took to pick up all the garbage in earshot.

The second problem was the bed. My husband and I have not yet found a hotel with beds to match our notion of comfort; they range from a bit too hard to completely unsleepable (a bed in the Tudor Wing of the Banff Spring Hotel is still the worst in our experience). During our previous visits, the beds at Brewster’s Mountain Lodge had been a little uncomfortable, but not horribly so; however, the bed in this particular room was just too hard for us to have a comfortable sleep.

I find it hard to sleep late in the mornings, so I took a book down to the breakfast room and read for a couple of hours while my husband caught up a little on the sleep that he missed during the night. While I was there, I overheard a group of guests, apparently all on the same tour, chatting about their night. Apparently a noisy birthday party was taking place until about 2 a.m. in a nearby room, which disturbed their sleep. (However, they also said that they did not phone the front desk to complain.)

We were looking forward to a dinner that we had planned for Sunday night, so we decided to finish our stay at Brewster’s Mountain Lodge. After all, the next day was a work day, so the rowdy partiers ought to be snug in their beds; and garbage pickup wasn’t likely to take place every single day, right? Wrong on both counts; the next night and morning were a replay of the previous one. After much discussion, my husband and I decided that the partiers were probably Banff residents, employees in Banff’s service industry who were far from family, and didn’t have to go to work until 10 a.m. or noon the next day.

So we won’t be returning to Brewster’s Mountain Lodge, or any other hotel so close to downtown Banff. We’ll miss the convenient location and the rustic decor, but we won’t miss the noise.

Stayed: September 2007
5  Thank Country_Wife
Reviewed September 27, 2007

This is the first time I have ever written a review, but feel I must do it to warn other travelers, who can easily spend the same money (250 night) at a much nicer hotel. Stayed here on Saturday, Sept 22 and had one of the worst nights of non-sleep I have ever had. Was by far the noisiest night we have ever spent at a hotel, and we've traveled a lot (Dehli, Tokyo, Seoul, Istanbul, Hong Kong, Toronto, London, Amsterdam...). They gave us room 216. I had a feeling it might be noisy as it was an outer, corner room, so we went to the front desk to change rooms. They assured us it was one of the best rooms in the hotel, and were not keen to move us. Ha! It was like staying next to a highway, which I didn't think was possible in Banff. The Brewster mountain buses stopped outside our window (we were on the second floor; there are only the second and third floors), every hour until 10 at night and starting at 8 the next morning, and the traffic on the streets was non-stop. After getting to sleep around 11:30, we were awakened by bar-goers coming into the hotel lobby. The lobby was like an echo chamber. Group after loud group came in and we couldn't get to sleep until 4 am! Then we were awakened by the cleaning staff in the halls and the traffic outside at 8 am. When we checked out the next day (feeling like zombies), I was polite, but did complain about the noise. The front desk manager was quite abrubt, gave a very insincere apology, and told me I should have called the front desk. Because group after loud group came in, I assumed no one was at the front desk! She said, "Next time, you should call". As if I will ever pay for such a terrible night's sleep again! No thanks. Actually, we have stayed here 3 or 4 times in the past and it was fine, but we did get an inner courtyard room before. However, they will not guarantee a courtyard room if requested. It seems like the hotel has gone downhill, in my opinion, from 2 years ago. For the same central location, I would recommend Banff Park Lodge (a block away), which less noisy, as nice an interior but without the 'woodsy' theme, and has a much nicer breakfast.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
6  Thank GinaZ41
Reviewed September 26, 2007

We stayed at Brewster's for 10 nights in January. We were very nervous going there having read the reviews on this site - nervousness which nearly led me to cancel the holiday or request moving to Caribou Lodge. Thank goodness we didn't!

The staff were very friendly and helpful when we arrived much later at night than expected - shattered after a trans-atlantic and then connecting flight to Calgary.

Our room was great - I think we had a superior room. The bed was very comfy, and huge! The spa bath was great, and the shower was one of the most powerful I've ever used.

Customer service was very good, we never had any complaints about the way the staff helped us. Indeed they were very understanding when we'd lost a wallet an hour before leaving for the return flight home, and let us stay in the room much longer than we should have done.

The heated underground car parking was free (which we noticed wasn't always the case in Banff), as was the ski locker facility.

Brewsters is right in the centre of town - so when it was freezing cold walking home after restaurant meals, we didn't have far to go at all.

The only slight complaints were the breakfast and the night club. We have contacted our tour operator saying we believe breakfast is mis-sold. It's certainly not what I'd expect, especially before a day on the slopes. And we think that the noise from the night club is mainly smokers who aren't allowed to smoke indoors anymore in Canada.

All in all - we had a fantastic time at Brewsters and would definitely stay there again! The people who have complained nearly ruined my holiday - don't listen to them!

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple