“Awful - Will Never Return”

Brewster's Mountain Lodge
Ranked #9 of 32 Hotels in Banff
Calgary
“Awful - Will Never Return”
Reviewed September 27, 2007

This is the first time I have ever written a review, but feel I must do it to warn other travelers, who can easily spend the same money (250 night) at a much nicer hotel. Stayed here on Saturday, Sept 22 and had one of the worst nights of non-sleep I have ever had. Was by far the noisiest night we have ever spent at a hotel, and we've traveled a lot (Dehli, Tokyo, Seoul, Istanbul, Hong Kong, Toronto, London, Amsterdam...). They gave us room 216. I had a feeling it might be noisy as it was an outer, corner room, so we went to the front desk to change rooms. They assured us it was one of the best rooms in the hotel, and were not keen to move us. Ha! It was like staying next to a highway, which I didn't think was possible in Banff. The Brewster mountain buses stopped outside our window (we were on the second floor; there are only the second and third floors), every hour until 10 at night and starting at 8 the next morning, and the traffic on the streets was non-stop. After getting to sleep around 11:30, we were awakened by bar-goers coming into the hotel lobby. The lobby was like an echo chamber. Group after loud group came in and we couldn't get to sleep until 4 am! Then we were awakened by the cleaning staff in the halls and the traffic outside at 8 am. When we checked out the next day (feeling like zombies), I was polite, but did complain about the noise. The front desk manager was quite abrubt, gave a very insincere apology, and told me I should have called the front desk. Because group after loud group came in, I assumed no one was at the front desk! She said, "Next time, you should call". As if I will ever pay for such a terrible night's sleep again! No thanks. Actually, we have stayed here 3 or 4 times in the past and it was fine, but we did get an inner courtyard room before. However, they will not guarantee a courtyard room if requested. It seems like the hotel has gone downhill, in my opinion, from 2 years ago. For the same central location, I would recommend Banff Park Lodge (a block away), which less noisy, as nice an interior but without the 'woodsy' theme, and has a much nicer breakfast.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
6 Thank GinaZ41

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 26, 2007

We stayed at Brewster's for 10 nights in January. We were very nervous going there having read the reviews on this site - nervousness which nearly led me to cancel the holiday or request moving to Caribou Lodge. Thank goodness we didn't!

The staff were very friendly and helpful when we arrived much later at night than expected - shattered after a trans-atlantic and then connecting flight to Calgary.

Our room was great - I think we had a superior room. The bed was very comfy, and huge! The spa bath was great, and the shower was one of the most powerful I've ever used.

Customer service was very good, we never had any complaints about the way the staff helped us. Indeed they were very understanding when we'd lost a wallet an hour before leaving for the return flight home, and let us stay in the room much longer than we should have done.

The heated underground car parking was free (which we noticed wasn't always the case in Banff), as was the ski locker facility.

Brewsters is right in the centre of town - so when it was freezing cold walking home after restaurant meals, we didn't have far to go at all.

The only slight complaints were the breakfast and the night club. We have contacted our tour operator saying we believe breakfast is mis-sold. It's certainly not what I'd expect, especially before a day on the slopes. And we think that the noise from the night club is mainly smokers who aren't allowed to smoke indoors anymore in Canada.

All in all - we had a fantastic time at Brewsters and would definitely stay there again! The people who have complained nearly ruined my holiday - don't listen to them!

• Liked — Fantastic room, well located in Banff
  • Disliked — Breakfast!
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank A-and-M-Nottingham
Shreveport, Louisiana
Reviewed September 3, 2007

We were on a motorcycle trip to the Canadian Rockies from Louisiana of which we were to arrive in Banff on June 29, 2007. Before we left Great Falls, Montana we called and verified our reservations with our confirmation number. Their response was everything is arranged and they will be waiting on our arrival. Please note that this was the weekend of Canada Day and the hotels were all booked. Due to high cross winds on the interstate our time of arrival was extended. We called ahead to let them know we where delayed and would not be arriving until approximately 7pm. Again their response was the same. As per our call we arrived at approximately 7pm (on schedule), they escorted us to the parking garage and put us in an area that we could lock down our Harley. We then unloaded and went back in to get our key at which time they informed us they had given our room to someone else. I can't tell you how upset my wife and I were. Fortunately, they told us to go to The Juniper that was located just outside of town on the side of a mountain overlooking Banff. It was the best thing that could have happened. Our stay there was over the top Fantastic.
See our Juniper review. David & LeAnn Skinner

• Liked — nothing
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank Safety3755
Washington, DC
Reviewed August 18, 2007

I'm not here to tell you some of the other reviewers are being overly picky, or exaggerating their problems with the Brewster Mountain lodge. I don't know what happened to them, and all I can speak to are 2 days in mid August of 2007. But my stay at the hotel was excellent. I'll get to why I really loved the place in a moment, but first I want to hit on some points of contention from previous reviews.

Some reviewers have talked about bad noise issues. I heard nothing. Literally nothing. I had read the reviews and warned my wife that noise may be an issue. We were amazed that not only was there no internal noise as some complained of, but having a balcony overlooking a busy street in the heart of Banff, we heard NOTHING on the street after 10pm and before 9am. I was actually shocked.

Some reviewers were upset by the staff. While my interactions with the staff were somewhat limited due to having absolutely no problems and no complaints whatsoever, to the extent I did deal with the hotel staff, everyone was polite, friendly and helpful.

Some reviewers complained about the type of room they got. This is where a little homework pays off. I called the place instead of blindly booking. I explained exactly what I wanted--a mountain view and a balcony--and ended up with an incredible mini-queen suite on the top floor for a very reasonable rate at peak season ($250ish a night). I knew what I wanted, I went out of my way to find it, and I was completely satisfied. Make the call and you'll be similarly rewarded. Rely on internet booking, and proceed at your own risk. That rule applies to EVERY hotel.

Those 3 major issues aside, let me get to the specific of my stay. The hotel is located in an awesome area--right in the heart of Banff, amidst great shops and excellent restaurants. The parking garage is extremely convenient and quite cheap compared to some hotels (only $5 a day I believe). The room I stayed in was tremendous. Spacious, with a great view and a great balcony. We literally had a 20 foot tall window the ceilings were so high in our particular room. I'm not sure if that's typical of all rooms, but it sure impressed me! The bed was more than acceptable, the maid service was very much up to par, and the furnishings were simple and authentic-feeling. The hotel does not have central AC, but when we were there, we didn't need it. A ceiling fan plus the plug-in portable fan provided with the room was more than enough to keep the room very pleasant. The free wireless internet was also nice.

The biggest drawback of the hotel is the mediocre free breakfast, but with wonderful cafes like the Coyote Deli literally 30 feet from the door of the hotel and quite reasonably priced ($15/person give or take), a so-so breakfast didn't get me down.

The biggest plus is definitely location. While a mega-resort like the Fairmont Banff Springs offers a ton of luxury and a definite sense of removal from the bustle of town, being right in the middle of it all was cool too. I stayed in both locations during my trip, and I was glad I sampled both experiences. I picked Brewster Mountain Lodge because it appeared to have the single best location of any nice hotel in Banff. After spending 4 days in town, I still believe this. And the fact that you can get 3 nights at BML for the cost of 1 night at an equivalent room in the Banff Springs doesn't hurt either.

All in all, if you're looking for a mid-range priced room in the middle of the quaint town of Banff, I strongly recommend this hotel. Make sure you know what you're getting when you book and you'll enjoy your stay.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Breakfast
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LookingForHelp24
Kalamazoo
Reviewed August 4, 2007

My husband and I spent three days at this hotel as part of a group tour. There were 24 in the group. Our room and many of the others endured by our fellow travelers faced an alley alongside the hotel. The hotel is not air-conditioned - many of the hotels in Banff are not as usually the weather is much cooler. Because it was so warm, we left our window open. However, every night we had to get up and close it as the revelers coming out of the local bars and using the alleywere so loud they woke us up. At six am every morning a garbage truck came by to service the businesses from the alley. There were also delivery trucks, etc. One of the members of the group called the desk to complain about the noise and was told that he should call the local police! There are other hotels in Banff with locations that are just as good.

The continental breakfast was not up to par. The pastries were frozen and barely thawed when served. They did have yogurt and apples and oranges, but no healthy alternative to the danish pastries.

Stayed July 2007
Calgary
Reviewed June 23, 2007

My wife and i received a "romance package" from this hotel as a wedding gift - we booked a room for a Saturday in June - a date that was NOT noted as being "high season" or "excluded". Upon check in, we were informed that we owed an additional charge of over $100. They proceeded to tell us that the gift certificate was purchased for "low season", and that we were booked in "high season", so therefore we owed the difference, even though we booked the room within the listed eligible dates on the gift certificate. We sat at the front desk for 45 minutes while the front desk staff phoned the manager to sort it out - and we eventually had the "romance package" removed (a bottle of bubbly, gift basket and breakfast) and got our room plain jane. Completely frustrated and dissapointed, we had to listen to the employee call house keeping and ask that the "romance package" be removed from our room before we got our keys! Unbelieveable!!

Long story short - the customer ISN'T right at this hotel, and for the money they charge, stay at the Banff Springs, Mnt. Royal or Rimrock. The service is simply awful... DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL!

• Disliked — Brutal service!
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank MookieUofS
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed June 11, 2007

We stayed at Brewsters Mountain Lodge for 2 nights in February for the purpose of skiing Sunshine and Lake Louise. We loved the location of this hotel - just walk around the corner for shops and restaurants of Banff. The hotel itself has a pleasant ambience with warm fire and lots of wooden beams, and the rooms were a reasonable size for our family of 4 (2 children). We enjoyed the hot tub after skiing. The breakfast, as others before have said, is just adequate. We took our own cereal and supplemented it with yoghurt and coffee from the hotel. The pastries are not very fresh and not particularly appetising. One thing that would stop me from staying here again was the bedding. I found the synthetic blankets very hot and full of static so didn't sleep well at all. All in all, location great & hotel would be good with a couple of small changes like fresh pastries or cereal for breakfast, and woollen blankets or down quilts. We got a good price so for our needs it was satisfactory. Note that you have to pay for parking and there's not a lot of it if the hotel is full.

Stayed February 2007