“Cannot believe there are so many positive posts on this hotel”

Banff Caribou Lodge & Spa
Ranked #13 of 33 Hotels in Banff
Reviewed August 25, 2007

This was the most disappointing hotel of our trip. After reading the reviews I was expecting a very good hotel.

I was greeted at the front desk by the most unfriendliest of young ladies. She could barely manage a smile and checked us in without a single word. She simply gave me a key and told me the room number, no directions, no information on car parking, no information on the hotels proximity to the main high street, not a word about breakfast times - nothing!

I had to ask her if we could have 2 keys as there were four of us in the one room (every other hotel asked us at check in how many keys we wanted) She grudgingly got me another one, only for us to find that it was the wrong key. I also had to ask what the parking arrangements were (again, every other hotel had asked if we had a vehicle to park)

On getting into the room, more disappointment. It was the smallest room we had throughout our trip, it was very dated and not at all fresh and clean looking. The bedding was old and the towels were more like thin face flannels. Seeing as we had been given no hotel info from the front desk I thought I'd read the guest information folder that EVERY hotel room has. Not this one. I had to phone down to ask about pool/laundry facilities etc and had to pick up leaflets and a map downstairs to find out about restaurants/shops etc.

I found this hotel to be very inhospitable and in need of room refurbishment. I would definately not stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
5  Thank holidaynut!

Reviewed August 23, 2007

We were booked here by our travel agent. We had a very nice room with big comfortable beds....but with only a table top fan to cool the air it was very warm.
The location is good as it is just a short walk into the centre.
We found a couple of the reception staff rather off-hand though there was a very helpful Australian girl.

Stayed: August 2007
1  Thank Ruby_of_Arran
Reviewed August 7, 2007

This is the second visit my wife and I have had to the Caribou Lodge. This time we stayed for two weeks. We were not disappointed! There were many staff there who remembered us from our first visit in July 2006. They could not have been more helpful in advising us on places to visit and what to see. Because many of the staff were still there, I think is a good indicator of how the hotel is run and respected.

The room was very comfortable and always very clean. We even had a small balcony with flowers. The food in the Keg was delicious and the service was excellent- try the Alaskan crab and steak! I loved the extensive buffet breakfast.

My wife loved the Spa facilities that were available. What was interesting is that she met some local women there who considered it to be the best in the town. This must be a good indication of the service provided.

It was comforting to have secure parking under the hotel, and this year to have laundry facilities.

The hotel is easy to get to, off Highway 1, you do not have to drive around Banff, and yet is only a 10 minute walk from the centre of town.

All in all a great stay in a super hotel in a stunning resort. We would certainly recommend a stay at the Banff Caribou Lodge.

Alastair Turnbull
Scotland

Stayed: July 2007
6  Thank Scotsman7
Reviewed August 5, 2007

this will be our second trip to the caribou lodge and i have to say, i think we'll be going again.
the hotel has a lovely welcoming feel. the breakfast is fantastic and the beds very comfortable. the walk to the centre of banff takes about 10 minutes, which is fine as long as you wrap up warm in the cold of winter.

• Stayed: January 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank bcrave
Reviewed July 29, 2007

stayed 3 nights in Banff at the Caribou Lodge in a superior room. room was quite large and very comfortable. spa and pool in the hotel was 1st class - very relaxing. food and service 1st class as well - although we pre-paid our meals when booking the room but realised when we got there it would have worked out cheaper and we would have had more of a choice had we just paid for each meal out there. reception staff very friendly.
would def stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank GAWA_on_tour
Reviewed July 25, 2007

just returned from a tour of Rockies and stayed at this fabulous hotel for 2 nights. Room was fab with views of the mountains, with the biggest bathroom of all the places we stayed at. Breakfast was plentiful if buffet chosen. Didn't try eating there in evening as many other options available. there are major roadworks going on in the town but this did not affect out stay one bit. this is a lovely place and we regret not being able to stay longer. plenty of activities available. we went white water rafting and this was one of the main highlights of our stay - do try this even if like me, you don't normally do this sort of thing. Banff was however in middle of heatwave and an outside pool would have been welcome. As our stay was short, we couldn't get any spa treatments so think about booking ahead. TIP take mosquito repellent if going up gondola, we got attacked!

Stayed: July 2007
4  Thank GuildfordTodds
Reviewed July 20, 2007

Don't Stay here in Summer! It was over 80 degrees in my room all night. George, the manager, was an incredibly rude guy. He originally told that it was my fault since I booked a standard room. Mind you that it was $240. He also mentioned that they had moved me already. When I checked in with my wife, they sent us to a room with two full beds and I immediately called to see if we could have a room with one larger bed for the two of us to sleep in together. After all, we are married. They were very nice to move us immediately.

After asking for a second fan at 10:30 at night when the room was still 85 degrees, they told me that many rooms didn't have fans. Unbelievable for those poor souls. They gave me a reduction in price to $199 and two free drinks but I would have been willing to pay anything to have a comfortable night. I was told that it was a heat wave and it made no sense for them to have air conditioning for the 5-10 days a year that it was too hot to be comfortable. Given that other hotels in Banff have air conditioning, I would never risk staying here. Plus, the room we had was on the top floor with an incedibly small window. I am sure it was hot many more days that the 5-10 they claimed. This room would suck in Winter!

When I asked for advice for food since the restaurant in the hotel was booked, they only mentioned other places with their lodging group, even thought there was a great place next door.

All in all, the worst night I have ever spent in a hotel. It still was $200.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple