“An Ideal Choice in Banff”

Banff Caribou Lodge & Spa
Ranked #15 of 32 Hotels in Banff
Manchester, United Kingdom
“An Ideal Choice in Banff”
Reviewed March 24, 2014

This is a great hotel, ideally situated in Banff just a short walk from the main downtown area. The room was clean and well maintained and the staff were welcoming and hospitable throughout our stay. The Keg restaurant serves good food at reasonable prices and the breakfast buffet is great value for money.

As others have said, the only drawback is the heat in the bedrooms. Whilst I appreciate that Banff in Winter is a cold place and there is a need to ensure the pipes don't freeze, the lack of cooling (other than opening the windows to sub-zero temperatures) sometimes made it uncomfortably warm during the night. Oh, and on two occasions during our stay there was no hot water because of problems with the plumbing.

Overall, the positives greatly outweigh the negatives and I'd certainly stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Ian G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (347)
  • Korean first
Cochrane, Canada
Reviewed March 23, 2014 via mobile

This hotel was very nice at first glance. The feel walking in was amazing. They have a big fireplace when you walk into the lobby. Our room seemed to be newly renovated which was nice. It was nice to have a balcony too. It wasn't until the morning that I noticed that the room could have been more carefully cleaned. I had to pump milk for my baby so I went into the bathroom so I wouldn't wake the other kids, there was a lot of dust on the ledge under the bathroom mirror, tooth paste and scum going down the front of the sink, and vent was covered in a thick coat of dust. Next I really needed my morning coffee only to discover that all that was in my room was 2 packs of decaf, I had to opt for tea instead. The last thing I noticed was when I went to plug in my phone charger behind the night stand was the very thick layer of dust, and garbage that was left behind by other guests. Other than that... Beds were comfortable, sheets were fresh, pillows were comfortable, temperature was easy to control. The hotel was very accommodating, they supplied us with a play pen for our little one. I wouldn't say that our stay was bad because it wasn't, I just think that this hotel needs to pay closer attention for the fine details. I'm a little bit of a clean freak and have higher expectations especially when staying in a hotel.

Stayed March 2014
3 Thank Alicia P
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 19, 2014

Booked on a bed and breakfast rate for two. Best deal in town. Very good breakfast buffet and the room was great. Opted for the standard room, as a room with a view is of no value... unless you go to Banff to stay in your room!

Room Tip: Ask for the best rate over the phone.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank theoracle44
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed March 14, 2014

Had a really great stay and can't wait to come back again. The service was phenomenal, particularly James at the front desk. He was able to answer all of our questions and was supremely helpful and did so in a really happy manner.

Thanks again.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Clovenfords
Reviewed March 14, 2014

I travelled with my husband and my 9 year old son to Banff in February, and we stayed at the Banff Caribou Lodge for 2 weeks. This was my first time in Canada, and my experience there has just made me more determined to go back!
The Caribou is lovely. The staff are wonderful, and the facilities are excellent. I couldn't fault anything. Everyone was so friendly and helpful. The rooms are just right, if a little warm, but that's just a quibble. The Keg is a MUST. The food is to die for, and the waiting staff are attentive and friendly. Thanks must go to Mark, who looked after us all superbly well. Whatever he is paid can't possibly be enough!
Same must be said of the hotel reception. Ciaran ( probably spelled wrong) was a lovely guy, who always went that extra mile for you.
The bus for the ski resorts stops right outside the hotel, which is great when you've got 3 sets of skis to lug about! Those with ski passes travelled free every day ( I presume it's factored into the cost of the pass) . Those paying cash paid 15 dollars return. We also received a Roam bus card from the hotel, which allowed us to hop on and off the local Banff bus whenever we liked, which I thought was a nice touch. We used it quite a bit, as some nights it was too cold to walk up the street, for fear you would lose a nose on the way!
The skiing was FANTASTIC! It's my fist time in Canada, so I have nothing stateside to compare it with, but the ski resorts were superb. No queuing for chairlifts, no grumpy lift attendants, just great skiing, whatever your ability. European resorts would do well to go over there and see how it's done. These guys make it look easy. They even have ski friends or buddies on the slopes. They are around to answer any queries you have, and give free guided tours of the slopes. We didn't take advantage of them, but saw them around the slopes often. They were usually of a retired age, but BOY, were they good skiers!

Would we return? Hell yeah! Already saving up for 2016. And I'm willing to forego an interim European ski break to afford it! To think you can have a fortnight in Canada for £5k, but you'll pay £3k for a week in Europe. It's a bit of a no-brainer, really.
Anyone thinking of the Rockies for their next Canada trip could do a LOT worse than the Banff Caribou Lodge. It's got my vote!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Suzanne L
Canada
Reviewed March 11, 2014

Nothing bad about this hotel, all positive. Only thing I can think of that was below standard is the fact that the underground parking stalls were very narrow, I mean VERY narrow and tight especially if you're driving a SUV or mini van. The breakfast buffet inside the Keg restaurant was excellent. It may or may not come with your room package, do check first. We had a room with a balcony facing the main street. But with good insulation, we didn't even hear the traffic going by. And the hot tub/pool is big and spacious. Highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Innerleithen, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 9, 2014

stayed at the caribou for the second time and this hotel does not disappoint, excellent staff , yummy food served by the kegs excellent staff (mark.s, Rikki and the young ski guy cannot remember hisname) rooms clean and beds sooo comfy after a days skiing, lovely lobby with log fire and good efficient check in staff , all in all a great stay and will go again, WELL DONE CARIBOU LODGE !!
P.S give the keg staff a raise, they well deserve it!!!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family