“Great place to stay great location!”

Banff Caribou Lodge & Spa
Ranked #13 of 33 Hotels in Banff
Reviewed October 17, 2013

We've stayed here twice now. Rooms are good & WiFi was available. Having the Keg restaurant attached was handy with a breakfast buffet meant we could stuff ourselves and set out for the day and skip lunch. Rooms had the amenities you would expect and the price is fair. I would recommend the Banff Caribou Lodge to friends.

The lobby is warm and inviting especially on cold days with the nice large fireplace. Underground enclosed parking to keep vehicle dry.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CanuckGlenn
There are newer reviews for Banff Caribou Lodge & Spa

Reviewed October 17, 2013

My sister and I travelled to Banff. We stayed 4 nights at this hotel and were not disappointed.
The room was large with a huge bathroom. The beds were comfortable and the place was very clean and smelled fresh.
There was a coffee maker and fridge in the room which we used and liked. Only 1 small complaint: put larger mugs in the room. I hate those small coffee cups.
The room was a bit warm at night though although the windows could open, we didn't do so at night.
The lobby is very inviting, has a large fireplace and in the morning, you can get coffee and tea if you don't feel like making it in your room.
The staff were all very friendly and helpful.
No complaints at all.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Lisa480
Reviewed October 16, 2013

We just stayed 2 nights at the Banff Caribou (Oct 2013). We chose it as a cheaper alternative to other local hotels and were not disappointed. We received a free upgrade to a room with a balcony and 2 queen beds. The room was a normal sized hotel room, the upgrade must have been the queen beds.

Pros: Clean room, comfortable bed, good sized bathroom, good amenities in hotel including the Keg, rocky mountain handmade soap, very friendly and helpful staff, fridge in room, coffee maker plus a kettle for making tea although no milk just whitener. Free internet and parking. Nice decor.

Cons: 10 minute walk from town but it was an easy walk and the hotel gave us free bus passes. We didn't end up using them as we enjoyed the walk. Furniture was a tiny bit worn but I didn't care as long as the room was clean, and it was very clean. Room was hot so we turned off the heat. At one point it became hot again so we had to open up the balcony door to cool off which worked. Most of the time the temperature was comfortable. Thermostat said "heat only" (I assume no airconditioning) so, as mentioned in previous posts, the summer temperatures could be a problem.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony. You may not use it but have the option to open the door to let in fresh air.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank L B
Reviewed October 12, 2013

I too agree with the previous comments regarding the lack of air conditioning and the room being too hot for comfort or even sleep. There was a vent right outside my room door that would pump ice cold air in during the day, and then heat from the wood burning fire place at night...all night. I do not enjoy the smell of a campfire filling my room each night and not to mention the smell seemed to linger in the hallways as well. The rooms are small or as some might say "cozy". I had horrible water pressure for my showers each morning, and after having to lay down while in the shower to attempt to rinse the shampoo out of my hair through the bathtub faucet, we decided that it was time to cut our trip short. We checked out 2 days prior to our scheduled check-out date and decided to go back to Calgary. I would never stay at this hotel again nor would I recommend to anyone...even an enemy deserves air conditioning and water pressure!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank I1946HLSarah
CaribouFOM, Guest Relations Manager at Banff Caribou Lodge & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2013

We are sorry that your stay was less than satisfactory. We have contacted you directly to discuss your issues further, as some of them will need our attention if we can find-out which one was your room. We as a hotel constantly strive to do better and provide 100% guest satisfaction, and if given the opportunity we can fix some of the problems you encountered; I hope we didn't miss such an opportunity while you were staying with us, and I am sorry if we did. We hope to hear from you soon.

Reviewed October 12, 2013

I've stayed in many hotels in Banff over the years. This was my first time at Caribou Lodge. It was lovely. The room was extremely comfortable especially the bed with feather bed topper and many pillows, love the clean bathrooms with Rocky Mountain Soap company handmade soap. I never know where to pick in Banff as prices can be high and it is nice to have a fireplace. Though these rooms dont have fireplaces there is a wood fire in the lobby with chairs beside it to sit and relax. The hot pool in the basement is large and it's blue tone lights make a huge difference in creating a relaxing atmosphere.It's too bad there aren't balconies on most (any?) of the rooms, but overall this is a good hotel that is very clean, updated, very nice collection of historic photos on the walls, paintings, and textiles - nice to look at and be in, clean modern rooms - gorgeous aspen themed wall paper on the walls, and one feels in a quality hotel. The staff is helpful and listen to all questions and concerns. There is free parking and wi-fi and the rooms have a smart clock radio with MP3 hook up as well as large flat screen tvs. Views are OK depending where you are and it's a bit of a walk into Banff town but the hotel will give you free bus tickets if you don't want to walk/drive. It is also a bonus having the Keg Steakhouse on the main floor. The lounge is perfect for a relaxed dinner and/or drink. I highly recommend the Prime Rib Sliders and ROBSON ST. HEFEWEIZEN

Room Tip: I was first assigned a room on the Banff Avenue side, views of hotels across. For me it was too nois...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Cmaryt
Reviewed October 11, 2013

Not right in the heart of downtown - but a good location. Check in was not a good experience but the room was very nice and the bed great. Room was clean and quiet - too warm - but a small portable fan was available to move the warm air around - no a/c.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Marilyn H
Reviewed October 6, 2013

This place was very good value for money with an in room hot-tub and a two story suite with two bathrooms for a bargain price compared to some other canadian hotels. It has an underground carpark which must be nice in the Canadian winter and a very nice breakfast with complimentary take away coffee. The in house restaurant is average for dinner. The spa area has a giant hot tub that is very hot with a sauna and a very very small fitness area.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
CaribouFOM, Guest Relations Manager at Banff Caribou Lodge & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2013

Thank you for your positive review, and we are happy to hear you enjoyed our Loft Suite. We hope to see you again in the future should you make your way to the beautiful Rockies again.