We stayed for two nights in the hotel as part of a Canadian tour. We were there on a holiday weekend, so the town was full of hormonally charged youths, lounging about town in great drifts of affected ennui... but Banff is still a very pretty place, in a beautiful location. The hotel was a mixed experience for us, and we may well have had a different experience, at a quieter time - but here's what happened. We arrived late afternoon and checked in - the room was quite dark, but well furnished and equipped. We were tired , so decided to book a table for dinner in the hotel restaurant - which turned out to be part of a chain, rather than part of the hotel itself, although we didn't know that at the time. We asked at the reception, where the staff told us it was nothing to do with them and to ask at the restaurant ( just across the reception hall) We duly asked to book a table for dinner, and were told that the restaurant was fully booked for the evening - all night, apparently. We asked for any recommendation, not too far, since we had been travelling all day, and they simply shrugged their shoulders, and said that it was a holiday weekend.... We were a bit stunned at this, since we had never been in a hotel, where the staff didn't seem to care that you might have to go hungry all night. However, we eventually managed to get some food in the bar ( which is the nicest thing about the hotel - cosy and friendly) and took the precaution of reserving a table for breakfast the next morning,at a specified time. We watched a s the reservation was written into their book. We turned up at the restaurant in the morning, and joined a queue of people waiting to go into the ( very busy) restaurant for breakfast. As were waiting we chatted to a couple in front of us, who said they had just walked into the restaurant the previous evening and were seated, no reservation, nothing. ( Booked all evening...??) As we got nearer the top of the queue, we said that we had a reservation - assuming that we might not then have to queue much longer. The young woman in charge looked lost and then said that she couldn't see any reservation.... and proceeded to seat other people while we stood, feeling like second class citizens. When we finally got into the long awaited Nirvana of the restaurant, the food was fine, good quality. At no time during our stay were we made to feel that we were valued customers, or that our comfort was of any importance to them, so we wouldn't use this hotel again. The location is fine - a ten minute walk to the centre of town, which has a range of lovely walks.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Banff Caribou Lodge is centrally located on Banff Avenue, Banff's main street. It offers the Keg Restaurant, Red Earth Spa (a full service spa), free underground parking, free wifi, fitness room, hot pool and steam room. This lodge type accommodation has a large and inviting lobby to greet you to Banff. Enjoy your stay. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Priceline, Odigeo, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Travelocity and Orbitz so you can book your Banff Caribou Lodge & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Banff Caribou Lodge And Spa
- Banff Caribou Hotel Banff
- Caribou Banff
- Caribou Lodge Banff