“Great place to stay with helpful staff and excellent room”

Hidden Ridge Resort
Ranked #11 of 32 Hotels in Banff
Salisbury, United Kingdom
“Great place to stay with helpful staff and excellent room”
Reviewed June 8, 2010

We had only booked a one bedroom condo but we were given a two bedroom. We extended our stay a few times and were given the bigger room at the cheaper rate. Staff were very friendly and helpful and we really enjoyed our stay. The weather was very poor (snow at the end of May) but the log fire and free DVDs, complementary coffee and hot chocolate with the hot tub made it all the more of a very pleasant experience.
We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would recommend the resort.

1 Thank yoda95

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (438)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Burlington, Ontario
Reviewed June 7, 2010

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights in May. We just loved it. The location is good - not town centre, but very easy to get to. We used the free bus pass to get in and out of town which was a good service.

We stayed in a 1 bed suite, and the accommodation was nicer than we anticipated. The kitchen was well stocked, there was firewood available with more nearby if you ran out, the suite was very clean with good decor and in good condiition. Our only encounters with staff were front desk and housekeeping and both were very friendly and helpful.

We'd stay here again with no hesitation and thought the prices were very reasonable for the accommodation.

1 Thank Morven G
Northumberland
Reviewed June 7, 2010

Travelling with our two grown up boys we needed accomodation which would give us all some space. We had booked a deluxe condo with loft and asked for one with a view of the valley (some don't have great views - some do). On arrival they did not have one with the view but offered an upgrade to a much larger newly refurbished property which had a jaw dropping view of the mountains (for an extra couple of hundred bucks). The best £15 a night you could spend.

Very clean and tastefully decorated, with granite worktops, flat screen wall mounted tvs in every room and amazing bathrooms (2 of them) plus (and the hype is right...) the most comfortable beds you will ever sleep in.
The maid service was thorough (cleaning every day with two full changes a week) and they always worked arround our schedule.
All of the staff were extremely polite, friendly and couldn't seem to do enough to make our stay more enjoyable.

There's fresh coffee and hot choc available all day in reception plus local newspapers. They even drop off coffee for the machine in your room every day.

Wood burning fireplaces in the apartments are great and the firewood is free.

The outdoor hot pools are fab... plenty of room, scrupulously clean with a massive fireplace by the side and views of the mountains... Absolutely magical sitting drinking some fizz, watching the snow fall around you with a roaring fire lighting up the flakes...

The resort is about 20 minutes walk into Banff (we did it one time but wouldn't again). The free town bus runs every 40 minutes and is always bang on time. It's kind of a nuisance timing your return journey from town to avoid any lengthy wait (buts there's always the crazy banjo man for entertainment). The relative isolation has its benefits though... amazing views, peace and quiet and the wildlife wandering by your windows.

The Ski bus for Lake Louise stops right outside reception and is always on time. It takes you into Banff where you change onto a large coach for the 45 min trip to LL. This souonds like a pain but its very well run and pretty slick so goes without a hitch.
The ski bus for Sunshine Village doesn't require a change, takes about 15 min but you need to walk 300 metres to the stop (which is a bit naff when you're in boots).

We actually got stuck due to the Volcanic cloud and the response from the HR staff was so good.... The manager (Peter) was really understanding and made it possible for us to stay on at the Ridge without worrying too much about spiraling costs... They even gave us information on things to do in the area which would not cost us anything.

Highly recommended - there are some lovely hotels in Banff but I'd choose HR every time... Its so much better having your own space rather than just a room.
We had a terrific holiday and wouldn't hesitate to recomend Hidden Ridge to anyone......

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank DenNorthumberland
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed June 6, 2010

I went here with a few friends to celebrate a birthday. The room we stayed in was a one bedroom loft, and was more than I was expecting. I loved the fire-place in the room. The outdoor hot tub was great, saved us a trip to the hot springs because it's basically the same thing. There are board games and dvd's to borrow, in case you can't make it out one day. Although I didn't bring my own, I saw a lot of people with their dogs, so I know that I can bring her next time. The only thing that bothered me was the amount of times I had to ask for firewood. Other than that, it was a wonderful experience. Oh, and the view is spectacular!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank breazee
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed June 5, 2010

We stayed at Hidden Ridge for two nights and on our return trip from Jasper one night. We had our dog and the pet rooms are on the lower floor with a sliding glass door and patio. This made it easy to take the dog out and the scenery behind the hotel is a wooded area with mountain views so it was great to have a nice big window to look out. There was a fireplace, kitchenette, bath and separate bedrm which made it seem spacious. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The only bad experience we had was on our return trip, the room smelled like smoke from the fireplace - it was terrible! It was 40 degrees outside and we had to open the windows to air it out. I would have asked for another room but when we checked in they said this was the only pet room available. We got it aired out but I woke up the next day with a terrible sinus infection and I'm sure it was from the pollutants in the air. The housekeeping staff had just finished so I don't know why they didn't air it out or at least alert the front desk. I had to puchase a perscription and was miserable for the next three days.

1 Thank katiem1127
hotelgmBanff, General Manager at Hidden Ridge Resort, responded to this review, June 9, 2010
We're so sorry your time at our resort wasn't perfect. Many events can impact a stay at a hotel in ways that can detract from your enjoyment of the room or property. Our job is to ensure we've done everything we can to prevent these occurrences and to bend over backwards to solve any problems that may come up. For all travelers: Please call us anytime during your stay so we can ensure your needs are given top priority. Again, we're sorry to have missed this opportunity during your stay and hope to see you back in the future.
New York
Reviewed June 3, 2010

I wanted my Wife and I to take some time to get away from it all. After much research on a variey of sites (Trip Advisor included), we decided that the Hidden Ridge Resort would be the place for us. We could have not made a better choice. I am so happy that I we had the pleasure of staying there.

First of all, Banff has got to be the most beautiful place I have ever been to. The natural beauty of the Canadian Rockies is stunning.

On a side note - my Wife and I actually had a pretty rough time getting out of NYC due to inclement weather. It was Murphy's law getting to Banff.

We were greeted very warmly by the staff when we arrived. Upon our arrival, the staff gave us a complete overview of the hotel's amenties, including the hot pools and sauna which were absolutely great and complimentary passes with schedule of the bus that goes to town. HRR is only a short 20 minute walk from Banff but you feel away from the tourists, even if you are one yourself.

The staff was even aware of the journey we had and did everything to make us feel welcome. They sent us a little something when we were settled in our room and that was really kind of them. I was really impressed by that.

We made breakfast everyday in our kitchen. The rooms were well kept. The other guests were friendly and fun to be around. We had a fireplace in our room which was great at night. The firewood was complimentary as well as DVD's. Seeing an elk near the grounds was really awesome.

Right now we are planning on returning with friends because they would love Banff and the HIdden Ridge Resort and we would love to share this with them! I honestly cannot wait to go back. I cannot state how highly I recommend this hotel. Best choice in Banff.

1 Thank NewYorkHoward
Montana
Reviewed May 25, 2010

We were made to feel welcome and at home and all of our questions were answered by friendly staff. Our accommodations were comfortable and well equipped.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple