“Ok but...”

Hidden Ridge Resort
Ranked #14 of 34 Hotels in Banff
Reviewed October 27, 2013

We went to Hidden Ridge on Oct 25 for a girls weekend. Five of us stayed in a condo with two bedrooms and a loft as well as a pull out couch. We have stayed here before as the same group. We make an annual trip to Banff with this group and have experienced a decrease in quality of the condo each year. This year we tried to get up and make breakfast in a kitchen that didn't even have an egg flipper. Of course we discovered this after the eggs were in the pan. What a nightmare/garbage breakfast. We also had a lot of noise from neighboring units -- not the management's fault but still impacted enjoyment. I personally had the misfortune of getting to sleep on the pullout couch. The room was freezing and the pullout mattress could not have been any less comfortable so I slept very poorly. The second night when I requested extra blankets was better as at least I could sleep. I didn't struggle with cold and discomfort, just discomfort. At the price point, it just doesn't measure up. Next year we will look elsewhere.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank ThomasTroup

Reviewed October 17, 2013

It's a bit out of the way, and backs on to an undeveloped area with walking trails all around. I like the fact it's not smack dab in the middle of town and that one often wakes to a bevy of deer outside the window. For those who don't want to walk or drive into town, the resort provides free passes for a scheduled bus service into town that runs frequently all day into the evening.

The rooms are spacious, and great for those wanting separate bedrooms. The kitchens are well supplied, and the fireplaces (and free chopped wood) are put to good use by all and sundry. They have a lovely pool and hot tub that overlooks the valley with a spectacular view, a laundry room for those with kids, and the staff we found to be friendly and helpful.

This was my third or fourth stay there, and I have enjoyed it every time. It's warm, cozy and comfortable. The only drawback is that many of the units involve climbing stairs into the unit, and again within the unit so if this is a concern, make sure to ask for a unit that doesn't have stairs.

Room Tip: Ask for a unit along the back of the resort facing into the woods--you'll be able to pop out you...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Dawn L
Reviewed October 16, 2013

Loved our stay. Beautiful view. Awesome room with wood burning fireplace. Still close to downtown, and the hot tub is amazing. More then what I expected. Excellent customer service. Will definitely stay there again. First choice.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Shannon L
Reviewed October 9, 2013

This is one of the few places around Banff we could find which could fit our group of 6 in the one unit. On 3 levels, it is a comfortable and warm apartment just outside Banff township. There is one bathroom between 2 rooms downstairs, and on the top level is another bedroom loft with bathroom. Be prepared to haul your bags up steep stairs! The kitchen is small but usable, and if you need anything the staff are more than happy to provide it. The down side was the lack of storage and hanging space. For me, the beds were too soft but they were warm and comfy. And the best thing is the outdoor hot pool with its magnificent views. We spent lovely evenings basking in its 40 degree waters after a hard day of touring!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Tanmaier
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Hotel is based out of town near tunnel mountain. Nice loft rooms with open fireplace and unlimited wood. Nice looking outdoor hot pools, we didn't use them as a bachelorette party of girls seemed to be having a noisy time in them. Lucky our room was away from the pools. We were able to purchase supplies and cook meals for a couple of days which was really nice. Only problem which seemed to occur a bit throughout Canada is the trains, but here at Banff they tooted as they went through town, so very hotel would have had the same issue. We just used ear plugs. Overall would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 6, 2013

When we arrived here with full groceries in tote, I expected to have to wash all of the dishes and utensils. Everything was surprisingly clean. We stayed in the loft unit and it was heaven falling asleep with the fire crackling. We did a full tour through Jasper to Edmonton and this was by far our favourite place to stay.

Yes, they have a mattress pillow topper that makes the bed look worn in and used. I found the beds a little hard and used all of the pillows to build myself a sleeping bed fort and that helped substantially.

There is a great view from wherever you are in the resort so don't sweat it too much. Their check in process is quite labourous and time consuming. We paid ahead online and they tried to "upsell" us twice and when I turned it down, they gave it to us anyways. I was very happy with the loft and would spend the extra money the next time. I popped into the main office on our way in one night just to ask for towels while the front desk lady was attempting another upsell, the customer in front of me was being excessively indecisive. After waiting for over ten minutes (I'm too patient and polite for my own good), I excused myself and just asked for the towels. The front desk lady looked quite annoyed that I interrupted her sales pitch. That was my biggest complaint and that is trivial to me. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: I enjoyed the loft unit and was happy that we weren't on the ground floor. Spend the extra mone...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 2, 2013

we stayed there this month 2 families , great place for all families , couples .. fantastic location next to banff and isolated in the woods ,fantastic view from rooms and the great hot tabs in the Hotel ( no need to go hot tabs outside the Hotel) the hotel is maintained first class all look brand new , clean , if you want to make your own meals you have kitchen and gas grill out side with table to seat next to your room .
Staff is great, and I mean all of them .variety of room size yo can get even big apartments for 8 people.
Prices are reasonable one of the best places I have stayed in all my travels around the world .

Room Tip: Ask what are the options they have lot of them , you will might find room that is exactly what you n...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank YORAMD
HiddenRidge, General Manager at Hidden Ridge Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2013

We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and happy you were able to make it to the Canadian Rockies during your many travels around the world. It gives us great satisfaction to know that we are one of the best places you have ever stayed at. Thank you for the review.