“A snowy January must see”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Lake Minnewanka

and up
Banff Lake Cruise
Ranked #4 of 76 things to do in Banff
More attraction details
Owner description: Banff National Park's largest waterway.
East Sussex, United Kingdom
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“A snowy January must see”
Reviewed February 2, 2014

In January everything is closed so don't expect the toilets to be open or anything like that, however the parking lots have been ploughed so still accessible.
We stopped here as I was showing my boyfriend the lake as I had been shown it a few years ago, we were on our way up to Lake Louise so I had not planned on staying there long so we did not grab the snow shoes out the boot (I wish I had planned for spending more time here, you could see where people had been off in their snow shoes and I wished were were going too) however you did not need them for a mooch around the shore.
We had great fun and got to take some good photos, it really is a beautiful place and we could have spent a good few hours there just amusing ourselves (even without the snow shoes)

Visited January 2014

• Polish first
Banff, Alberta, Canada
87 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 138 helpful votes
“Lake at the end of the Road”
Reviewed January 12, 2014

Been living in Banff for a few years now and this lake is a center of late evening drives, cross-country skiing, swimming and animal watching. If you are coming to Banff the driving loop is a must due to the many animals that can be spotted along the drive.

The Lake it's self offers a nice place to relax and enjoy an evening but can become over crowded like most things in Banff in the summer. Best times for hikes and visits to the lake are shoulder seasons due to the cooler temps and less crowded.

Visited December 2013
UK
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Beautiful Lake”
Reviewed January 11, 2014

We went to Lake Minnewanka with a large family group and absolutely Loved this trip. The guide was very informative. Being on the Lake was so peaceful.

Visited June 2013
Calgary, Canada
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“nice lake”
Reviewed January 3, 2014

a nice drive if you have a car. Boats be driving across the lake all day. I think the rental canoes are probably more fun from what I've read about other's experiences. I've never done the boat trip but my family did and it was a 'meh' experience.

Visited August 2013
Toronto, Canada
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“A lovely easy winter walk”
Reviewed January 2, 2014

We drove to the end of the Minnewanka Road and parked in a large lot. The road was plowed and sanded. There are trails for cross-country skiers and hiking trails which are hard packed from use. We chose a trail along the edge of the lake and enjoyed a 2 hour walk in and back. There are shelters along the lake with picnic tables. One had a fireplace. Several were in use by people who brought a picnic and thermoses of hot chocolate. Smart move .. no food nearby. Some people were skating but that's not recommended as there is a strong current and ice thickness varies. There are toilet huts in the parking lot.

Visited December 2013