“Combined the Gondola with the Alpine Lights dinner”
Review of Banff Gondola

Banff City Sightseeing Tour
Ranked #1 of 75 things to do in Banff
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Soar to the top of Sulphur Mountain to experience a stunning bird's-eye view of six incredible mountain ranges. With breathtaking vistas in every direction, your adventure begins with an eight-minute journey to the summit of Sulphur Mountain in a modern, fully enclosed four-passenger gondola cabin. Glide up over the treetops to the crest of a steep-sided Rocky Mountain peak and step out into a jaw-dropping mountaintop experience at an elevation of 2,281 metres (7,486 feet). Stroll along the ridgetop boardwalk where the views get better with every step. Then warm up in our newly transformed, state-of-the-art summit facility. With new restaurants, interactive interpretive exhibits, a multi-sensory theatre and a breathtaking 360-degree rooftop observation deck, the new Banff Gondola summit heightens every sense.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Stairs / elevator, Wheelchair access, Food available for purchase
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Combined the Gondola with the Alpine Lights dinner”
Reviewed September 21, 2013

After seeing a lot of comments about the cost of the tickets, I saw one posted that suggested buying the Alpine Lights dinner package to make it more worth it. If my wife and I did just the Gondola, I could see the cost of the Gondola ticket making sense as we enjoyed the views. But add 3 teenagers who don't have the same love of the views, maybe too expensive.
The dinner was a Prime Rib dinner. Which I looked forward to if you have every asked somebody from Alberta about their Alberta beef. The meal wasn't 5 star restaurant type but it wasn't bad. Everybody enjoyed the meal including the Cheesecake desert! Yes you pay a lot more money when you add the dinner, but then we had this great table overlooking the Banff valley as the sun was setting.

Visited August 2013

• Turkish first
Ridgeland, Mississippi
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 125 helpful votes
“A must to for the total Banff experience”
Reviewed September 21, 2013

My wife and I bought tickets as a package through the Explore Rockies Adventure. We timed our visit around sunset and were rewarded with an hour or so view of Banff and the surrounding mountains, valleys and river as the lights came on and the sun set. Hard to describe how beautiful it was. We took the walk to the adjacent peak for an alternate view from a slightly higher vantage point. Met some nice people from South Korea and Ireland along the way who agreed that dusk is the best time for this attraction. All the attendants were helpful. Make sure to check out the last departure time because it's a long walk down the mountain in the dark! They said it happens almost every week.

Ottawa, Canada
48 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Beautiful views”
Reviewed September 20, 2013

I could have taken this or left it. While it's neat going up, I found it slightly expensive for only 'okay' views ($35 per person + tax). I don't think it's something I'd do again. While maybe not as high of an elevation, there are many more spots around town that in my opinion have just a good as, or better views.

Darwin, Australia
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“dont miss the view”
Reviewed September 20, 2013

We love this view, and paid and took the walk down,although if you walk up its free to go down. It's no easy hike up the mountain and we watched people fading earlier in the walk than even they expected., was a wonderful walk down, really a highlight for us.

What ever you do its a great place to stop and see the area, can grab a coffee and bathroom, and the whole magnificent area.

4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Great view of the area”
Reviewed September 19, 2013

In my younger years I would have scoffed at the idea of taking the Gondola up for a view preferring instead to hike the whole thing. With age comes wisdom which meant we had plenty of energy available once we reached the top for hiking above the Gondola and across the well constructed walkway to the farthest peak. Fantastic views in every direction.