“It is worth the price!”
Review of Banff Gondola

Banff City Sightseeing Tour
Ranked #1 of 85 things to do in Banff
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Soar to the top of Sulphur Mountain to experience a stunning bird's-eye view of six incredible mountain ranges. With breathtaking vistas in every direction, your adventure begins with an eight-minute journey to the summit of Sulphur Mountain in a modern, fully enclosed four-passenger gondola cabin. Glide up over the treetops to the crest of a steep-sided Rocky Mountain peak and step out into a jaw-dropping mountaintop experience at an elevation of 2,281 metres (7,486 feet). Stroll along the ridgetop boardwalk where the views get better with every step. Then warm up in our newly transformed, state-of-the-art summit facility. With new restaurants, interactive interpretive exhibits, a multi-sensory theatre and a breathtaking 360-degree rooftop observation deck, the new Banff Gondola summit heightens every sense.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access, Stairs / elevator
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Amazing views! REALLY good for taking nice pictures of the Rockies, Banff, and depending on your zoom, some lakes around. I takes about 8min to get on top. There is a nice "walking path" built on the top of the mountain, where you can walk for about 2km and see the landscape from slightly different angles. There are places to seat and admire the view along the way; so, don't worry about the distance! Take your time! :)
I was there during the winter, so be prepared for windy (chilly!) conditions! Go with an extra jacket, gloves, toque. There is a tourist centre on Banff's main street, where you can purchase the ticket in advance and also check the current conditions/view from the top of the mountain (for me it was really helpful, as the day was a little cloudy).

1  Thank Leila M

Reviewed July 31, 2013

I rode the Banff Gondola in the early evening (July) in order to get some late day photos. I'm not a big fan of enclosed spaces, so the windows being open helped with that. The views going up over the town of Banff are incredible! At the top, you can stay in the building you arrive in - there is a shop and food available - or you can walk out to the now-unused weather station. The walk takes about 20 minutes (along a boardwalk), and affords beautiful views of the surrounding mountain peaks. Yes, this is expensive, but if you really take the time to enjoy the view at the top, it's well worth it!

1  Thank lirwin13
Reviewed July 30, 2013

The boys loved this and the views were spectacular but not much change from $100 for 4 of us.
I suffered from altitude a little at the top so be aware, otherwise a great trip

1  Thank Anne M
Reviewed July 30, 2013

If you are as petrified as heights as I am, don't do it! I was determined to get to the top and then walk up the wooden walkway to the weather station but I honestly thought I was having a heart attack on the way up. The gondola compartments are very small and blow around quite a bit on a windy day. I was convinced I was going to plummet to my death! However, I did survive and once I'd slowed my heart rate down I managed the walk with no trouble. Bit disappointed that you can only look through the window of the weather station and not go in. A chipmunk begging for food was quite entertaining though. It was a cold, rainy day when we went so the view was that of swirling clouds with the odd glimpse of Banff. Going down in the gondola was a bit easier and despite the scary start going up I was pleased I gave it a go.

1  Thank Shirley J
Reviewed July 29, 2013

A trip to the top of Sulphur Mountain is an essential part of a stay in Banff and the views back down into the town and of the surrounding mountain ranges are spectacular. Taking the gondola is a pretty exhilarating way to do it although I feel the $35 + tax return fare is a bit excessive. We walked up the trail instead and took the gondola back down (which cost half the price). The walk up takes approximately 2 hours and it is a lovely hike - you can take in great views all the way to the top and see the flora and fauna of the Rockies up close. In contrast, the gondola bombs you back down in about 8 minutes and if you're unlucky to take it on a day when it's raining, the views are obscured as the cabin tends to steam up. If you're able-bodied and on a bit of a budget, consider hiking up and/or down. Be aware of potentially very variable weather - the day we did it (in July) saw near-sweltering temperatures change to snow in the course of a morning!

2  Thank Ambrose010