“not worth the cost”

GreenLeadersSilver level
alberta
“not worth the cost”
Reviewed August 6, 2009

upon arrival we waited in our car for over 10 minutes just to pull up to the front of the hotel.
We were then told we could use valet service or park ourselves. The valet service cost $33.00.
Then we went and stood in line to check in for almost a half hour.
There was a large group waiting as well, with young children running wild and throwing a ball, which actually hit me. The staff seemed to not even notice.

The room was dated, nothing different than any other hotel room I have been to.

we had breakfast in the bow valley restaurant, it was good, but nowhere near worth the $100.00 price tag for 3 of us. Go down the road to Phils and get the same breakfast for $20.00!

The service was nowhere near acceptable for the price this hotel commands.

Stay anywhere in Banff, but this hotel. If you want an upscale experience - go to the rimrock.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
4 Thank fromAB

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,448)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Houston
Reviewed August 6, 2009

My wife and I stayed at the Fairmont Banff Springs for one week. From the outside the hotel is simply overwhelming - it really does look like a castle. Inside, it was somewhat dated, as we expected. Our room was in one of the towers, so it was very small (even though our rate did not reflect the smallest room category). Also, I am 6'4" and had to duck to shave in the bathroom and hit my head a few times getting in and out of the shower.

We ordered room service a couple times and the food was very good, though not outstanding.

Service was spotty. On the one hand, the staff was generally very friendly and helpful when you spoke to them, but the problem was getting someone to answer the phone. They had a "royal service" button on the phone, but I found that every time I used it I ended up on hold. I was on hold for well over five minutes one time and gave up.

Also, we had one problem with ordering turn-down and extra towels and coming back around 11pm to find that no one tended the room.

Clearly the hotel was understaffed, probably a result of current economic conditions, but when you pay that much for a tiny hotel room, regardless of the location, you do expect someone to pick up the phone when you call from your room.

Overall I do think the problem was understaffing, as other than the turn-down confusion we found staff to be friendly and helpful. The room was very clean, linens were nice, the ventilation system worked pretty well and the hotel has a very elegant feel. I will return to Banff at some point, but I will consider some of the less expensive hotels.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
San Francisco
Reviewed August 5, 2009

We stayed for over two weeks including Xmas day & NYE on the Gold level. Perfect perfect perfect ... room was cozy and fresh, the complimentary bar, and snacks were fantastic we loved the skiing close by and the town was gorgeous a close walk. recommend if you ski/snowboard

Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
Northern NJ
Reviewed August 5, 2009

We stayed two nights this past weekend. Wonderful setting, but overall a major disappointment. Don't accept rooms on the mezzanine level (rooms numbered around 150) -- they are near one of the reception halls where weddings and other events take place. Which was, in fact, our experience -- Sunday night, loud music thumping through the short corridor, at 11pm, 11:30pm, until shortly after midnight. We called the front desk at 11:15pm, they assured us the party was over by 11:30. 11:45 rolls around, we call again, someone else states "it will be over by midnight. did someone tell you 11:30? oh, they were mistaken. We have security standing by to pull the plug at midnight". Not kidding, literal quote about security pulling the plug. The only thing that was being pulled, was them jerking my chain.

Complained on checkout the following morning. Pleasant, well-skilled person in handling complaints states: "Oh, we are sorry. Unfortunately we were fully booked so had to place you in that room". I stated that they must have known about the wedding for 6+ months ahead of time, why did they place us there? Later on she states, "did you ask for a room change?". How is it possible to be both fully booked, and have the possibility exist of a room change?

My view is that individuals who book at this Fairmont have little leverage, compared to tour operators who bring in much more significant revenue than my measely $300/night, plus dinner (guess a thousand bucks just doesn't mean much to Fairmont).

The front desk person did offer to take away the $25/night parking charges (totalling $50). But I declined, saying this wasn't about money to me, but about service and satisfying customers. I felt cheated, lied to, and very unhappy at the end of our stay. Will avoid this type of hotel and chain at all costs in the future. Buyer beware.

The Banff area is lovely, the Ice Fields parkway stunning, and not to be missed.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
London
Reviewed August 4, 2009

Checked myself into the Banff Springs for a month last year whilst doing some skiing. Rooms average and a bit tired but service is very good. The various restaurants all have good service although again the fare is very large hotel - i.e. nothing amazing but nothing too poor either. Location is breathtaking though. Memories of swimming in the outdoor heated swimming pool with a glass of mulled wine apre ski will stay with me forever. The hotel is one of the few that the Big 3 (ski resort) buses stop at and the ski store is right next to the stop - pick them up in the morning with a coat-check type ticket and drop them off in the evening. Bar has roaring fires etc and good wine/beer selection. Bowling alley is good fun. It is a bit of a trek into town from here though - especially if you're not used to -40 and high winds at night. Taxis are quick and quite cheap though. All round a standard hotel in beautiful surroundings. Spa and gym well kitted out. I would recommend for groups of friends or couples wanting a ski holiday but who don't care about being walking distance to the nightlife.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled solo
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed August 3, 2009

We just returned from our honeymoon at the Fairmont Banff Springs. Despite what some people are saying, our room was wonderful. We had a Junior Suite room with an amazing view of the Bow Valley. The bathroom was small, but that didn't bother either of us. Our travel agent had added that it was our honeymoon, so we arrived to a chilled bottle of champagne and a can of candies & nuts in our room. I highly recommend one of the online pre-paid specials to get the best prices. I had joined the Fairmont President's Club, so we were pre-registered when we arrived and had free high speed internet service in our room. Parking was also discounted as part of our package. I'm already hoping we'll head back up there for an anniversary.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
south carolina
Reviewed August 1, 2009

This experience was truly royal! The hotel was likened to a Scottish Castle. Some of the staff wore kilts!! Our plan included a large room, free appetizers, and breakfast in a secluded lounge on our floor! This hotel had everything....spa, golf course,shops and restaurants! All were top quality. I walked to town to shop while my husband golfed! Saw an elk right downtown!! The views of the mountains were magnificent! The interior as well as the exterior resembled a beautiful castle! We are still in awe of it!!! Hope we can return someday!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple