“perfect end to our holiday”

Fairmont Banff Springs
Ranked #2 of 33 Hotels in Banff
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 19, 2013

I stayed here with my mum and daughter the last 2 days of our holiday after a reunion holiday with mums sister. Having driven, it felt, continuously for 2 weeks I was mighty pleased to hand my car keys to valet parking guy! At $10 extra per day it felt at the time a bargain and was vey happy to leave car and luggage for someone else to sort!

Our room sadly was not ready and although the helpful receptionist said someone would ring when ready, they never did. As we had stayed at Fairmont Vancouver we were offered option to join Fairmont Club. Therefore automatically did not pay for internet or daily parking.

Our room was in Stanley Thompson wing, deluxe with lounge and mountain view. Too warm even with the thermostat down?? Room very clean, high quality furniture and decor. Not sure of the room price as we booked through Prestige Travel including flights, car hire and i think you get attractive hotel rate. At the time of booking i remember thinking upgrade was good value and a 'no-brainer'!

The public areas, bars, views were fantastic. Buffet breakfast first rate.
Outside pool with my daughter watching the tops of mountains turn pink at sunset were lovely. Enjoyed the large gin/tonic by helpful waiter in outside pool. I thought it tasted rather good, and then realised afterwards a 'double' gin is equivalent to 4 of our uk shots.

We had 1 evening meal and lunchtime snack. My mother is the most fussy of eaters and i spoke to staff at grill restaurant prior to booking. Special chicken request arrived as promised!
We had had such a lovely 2 weeks holiday with the most incredible blue sky each day. So stay at The Fairmont Banff was a super finish.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
FBS1888, Manager at Fairmont Banff Springs, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2013

We are delighted that your special trip was perfectly culminated with a stay here at The Fairmont Banff Springs. Thank you for your review.

There are newer reviews for Fairmont Banff Springs

Reviewed November 17, 2013

We have been looking forward to staying at this hotel for some time now. As we live in Calgary and were attending a function we thought it would be the perfect time to try it out, as we love a 5 star experience and like to visit Banff frequently. While the architecture and history are indeed impressive, they are far outshadowed by the negative aspects. Perhaps out stay would have been completely different if our room and service were adequate. First off, I was extremely displeased to hear the "you've been upgraded complimentary to a deluxe room" Schpeel which I know is complete fabrication in an effort to make you FEEL special when in actuality you are staying in a lesser quality room. We heard numerous couples arriving be given the same drivel. We arrived to our Stanley Thompson room and were quite surprise. For $400 a night and a five star reputation, we arrive to a room the size of a closet. Now I understand this is an older hotel but it is downright bait and switch...completely disingenuous to pay such a sum and be told you've been upgraded ... If this room was an upgrade... I would loathe to see what a regular room is like. The blinds were broken, the wall had scuffs and scratches. The duvet was dirty and placed between two sheets. The queen bed was quite uncomfortable and the room sweltering hot even with the heat down a d the window open.

The parking fees are outrageous, and on top of this there isn't even complimentary Internet access!? Let me tell you, I have stayed at ramada hotels (yes, ramada,) that have free Internet, free fitness room access, free parking, and free HOT breakfast including cereals, meats, and waffles! And I have paid far less. Just because it is a "5" star hotel does not and should not mean you must pay for those things. They should be included when one is paying top dollar for accommodation already! This makes you feel completely non-valued. I want to be treated like a five star hotel appreciates my business and wants me to come back and spend my money there again, and tell my friends to do the same! That is an effective business model, but unfortunately they have not created loyalty with me yet. I do not think I see a reason to return or recommend. Unfortunate because I really wanted to try out the spa there (which was also completely booked) ugh.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank lynxbaby_11
FBS1888, Manager at Fairmont Banff Springs, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2013

Dear reviewer,
We care very much about your experience and a hotel representative will be contacting you to discuss it further.

Reviewed November 17, 2013

Spectacular location and an elegant old hotel make this a very nice stay. Clearly a historic landmark. As you'd expect at a Fairmont, the service is really excellent, very friendly and helpful staff everywhere. Probably also as you'd expect from a hotel this old and historic, the rooms are not huge and the facilities, while good, show the age of the hotel (noisy heating, so-so plumbing). The restaurants are good but VERY expensive, really overly so given the food quality. In-room WiFi was good but also quite expensive. Overall, it's fun stay here because it's an historic castle, but for a longer stay I'd look for other Banff options.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your honest review. We are pleased that you enjoyed the engaging service at The Fairmont Banff Springs. We do certainly hope you will return. Our loyalty program does offer many complimentary benefits you are sure to enjoy. Ask us!

Reviewed November 16, 2013

An outstanding value for what you pay!
We stayed for a weekend to get away from it all.
Visited the spa for a day as a treat.
When you get a certain service, such as a massage, you get unlimited access to the spa for the day.
Had such a relaxing time, when I was ready to go, I had to ask a staff member to show me the exit.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

We are so pleased you loved the Willow Stream Spa! Thank you for your review.

Reviewed November 15, 2013

Our company booked this hotel for a corporate function and I have to say, everybody was pretty excited. The Banff Springs Hotel has a fantastic reputation and it did not disappoint. The place is, quite literally, a castle. If you ever can, stay here and explore. Find all the neat places to just exist for a while.

Anyway...

At check-in, I was in the President's Club line and both attendants were busy. One of the staff off the "regular" line came around to get me rather than have me continue waiting. Now that's knowing how to please your customer...however, I was one of the few with no complimentary room upgrade, haha, oh well. From beginning to end, the service quality was incredible, especially our bartender Maggy. Staff were always friendly and polite and genuinely looked like they wanted to be there.

My room, though in a major throughfare, was quiet. While small (definitely meant for single occupancy) it was immaculately clean and impeccably ornamented. I love the Le Labo toiletries and would heartily recommend filling your bag (or buying from the gift shop, it ain't cheap though).

The conference facilities were at the same level as the room and service. The meals were surprisingly good given the sheer number of people (I sincerely doubt most caterers could handle it nearly half as well) and all-in-all, everybody in our company was impressed by not just the surroundings, but the level of service.

If you are ever personally or professionally able to stay here, do so. You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

We are delighted to have received your review and to hear how pleased you were with your events at The Fairmont Banff Springs. Thank you. It means so much, and we have shared your revierw with our team.

Proudly celebrating 125 years

Reviewed November 14, 2013

I hosted my second event at the Springs this October.

The rooms are nice but I would not risk personally getting a ``Fairmont Room`` as they can be quite small with a weird layout.

Aaron, Shelley and Grace are very good at their jobs (managing your events) but the rest of the staff are just average. The amazing architecture of the the hotel really helps overlook any shortfalls.

If you are planning an event be careful as their seating capacities on their website are not accurate.

Room Tip: Ask to face the mountains!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Warm and engaging service is our mantra and anything less is not acceptable by our standards. We are truly sorry to know of any disappointment felt by our guests and we do apply all reviews and feedback to our constructive. use. A hotel representative will be in touch with you.

Reviewed November 14, 2013

Recently attended a wedding at the hotel and stayed 3 days to make a mini-vacation for ourselves. Very positive experience with our room, staff, and quality of food. Our room was in the older part of the hotel, and was very comfortable albeit a bit tight for space since we had to bring along formal and cold weather clothing. Every staff person we had opportunity to meet or quiz was very accommodating and made us feel special. Managed to do some walks along the various trails in the area. Had breakfast brunch at The Grill one morning - lots of variety and food quality very good. A number of the restaurants were closed in the hotel (assume low season).

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for choosing to stay a few extra days. We are pleased you enjoyed your time here with us!

The Fairmont Banff Springs

Also consider these accommodations in or near Banff
Moose Hotel and Suites
Stoneridge Mountain Resort by CLIQUE
Banff Aspen Lodge
Banff Aspen Lodge
#8 of 33 in Banff

Been to Fairmont Banff Springs? Share your experiences!