“A little disappointed”

Fairmont Banff Springs
Ranked #2 of 33 Hotels in Banff
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 11, 2013

We were really looking forward to our two night stay in Banff at the Banff springs Fairmont hotel. Due to flooding in the area our two nights turned into one, but Mother Nature had other ideas, and we understood that. The hotel was magnificent, and while hubby attended a wine tasting I went on a guided tour of the hotel, while waiting for our room to be ready, I loved the tour it was very interesting. After receiving our keys we headed to our room, it was small as we knew it would be due to the age of the "castle", our bed was comfortable and clean, BUT the bathroom was dirty, the toilet would have only had a wipe over as did the shower and the floor. Yes we should have reported it, more fool us. No doubt a lot of these problems were caused by a very long power failure, again due to the flooding.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Glenda C
EJROE, General Manager at Fairmont Banff Springs, responded to this reviewResponded July 13, 2013

Dear Valued Guest from Tasmania, Thank you for recently staying at The Fairmont Banff Springs and I am so sorry your trip was cut short by the floods. I am very please to let you know that everything is 100% back to normal at the “Castle” and within Banff. I was very pleased to read that you husband enjoyed the wine tasting and you loved the tour. I have certainly followed up with my housekeeping leadership team as there definitely is no excuse to have bathroom cleanliness concerns, no matter if the area is experiencing flooding and power outages, therefore please accept my upmost sincere apologies for this housekeeping oversight. I hope your travels do bring you back to the Canadian Rockies and to Banff in order to make up for the missed 2nd night, plus I hope you had a save trip back home to Tasmania. Thank you for taking the time to write this review on Tripadvisor. Regards, Edward J. Roe, Hotel Manager, The Fairmont Banff Springs.

There are newer reviews for Fairmont Banff Springs

Reviewed July 10, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for a few nights while celebrating our last wedding anniversary. The best thing about staying at a Fairmont property is the service and attention to detail. It is everything you would expect from a hotel in this class. The staff are friendly, professional and great at anticipating your every need--the hallmark of any great hotel. The rooms are exquisite but a little on the small size. However I have never seen a room with better attention to detail--perfectly clean without a spec of dust, turn down was perfect and discrete and the decor was perfect.

The hotel itself is really something to see even if you don't choose to stay. Its an amazing historic building and the architecture is really worth the stop.

The only disappointment was the food. We ate at one of the many hotel restaurants for dinner--the Waldhaus. The fondue was poor and like everything on the menu grossly overpriced for what you get. After looking at some other hotel restaurants we decided to eat in Banff all our other nights. The exception was breakfast--I love breakfast in bed so room service was a must. The service was prompt and excellent as always, the steak and eggs was perfectly done and the coffee was excellent. My wife's hot chocolate came with more sides (white chocolate shavings, dark chocolate shavings, whip cream, marshmallows and 2-3 other things I'm forgetting). The bagel and lox was also perfect. The value was still a little questionable given the cost but it was well worth it in my book!

The only other thing I would mention is that the Fairmont hotels are definitely geared towards older patrons. My wife and I are in our mid-30's and definitely felt like kids compared to the majority of other guests. However the hotel is absolutely worth visiting regardless of age if your a true fan of historic properties and exquisite service.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank superpete93

Dear Valued Guest from Portland, Thank you for taking the time to write this review about your recent wedding anniversary stay at The Fairmont Banff Springs. In addition, thank you for highlighting the great housekeeping attention to detail and the wonderful In-room Dining experience. Plus, please accept my sincere apology for the poor fondue experience as I will certainly be following up with my Waldhaus team to see if there is anything that can be learnt and tweaked to prevent a similar disappointing guest experience. I hope your travels do bring you back to the Canadian Rockies and to Banff, plus I hope you had a safe trip home to Oregon. Regards, Edward J. Roe, Hotel Manager, The Fairmont Banff Springs.

Reviewed July 10, 2013

Our room had a spectacular view of the river, mountains and the hotel grounds. While the room was small, it didn't feel cramped. It was very nicely appointed and comfortable; as with any luxury hotel, the linens and bathroom (tiny) were as wonderful as could be expected. The hotel thinks of every amenity to make guests comfortable... sports/field glasses to take along on hikes, umbrellas, plush robes & slippers, and a marvelous heated pool with conditioned water. Then, there is the spa, too, but we didn't use those services. Although we visited the golf club we didn't golf but the course looked to be in fine shape. Horseback riding was available, too. The concierge tried to arrange fly fishing for us but the rivers were closed to fly-fishing due to recent floods & heavy rain.

We were there during a recent heat wave & first night, the AC in our room didn't cool the room at all. Opening the window didn't help and there was no fan in the room. We attempted to report the situation but it was late at night and no one answered our call to the main concierge desk. We reported the problem the next morning and it was remedied immediately.

During this trip we also stayed at the Fairmont Empress in Victoria but the experience was not nearly the quality and luxury that we experienced at Banff Springs. We had cocktails at the Jasper Fairmont and visited the Lake Louise Fairmont as well but neither of these hotels were as appealing or enticing as the Banff Springs Fairmont. "The Castle" at Banff really is a unique experience.

We dined at the Castello and at the Waldhaus restaurants on site. Entrees and wines by the glass are expensive. The food was good but the service & atmosphere surpass the food in these restaurants.

We loved shopping in the hotel shops. Beautiful, boutique clothing for both men and women, jewelry, gifts & souvenirs, etc., that is well-priced considering the location and such.

There is a Hertz car rental on property so if people want the freedom that having a car affords, car rental may be a good option.

We overheard a departing guest say to the concierge, "Do you think I could just stay a year?" to which the reply was, "Yes, I think we could arrange that". We felt exactly the same way. We intend to return to this marvelous hotel in this beautiful setting.

Room Tip: Register for the President's Club to secure a room on the Gold Floor.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Lynne4078

Dear Valued Guest from Alabama, thank you so much for staying at The Fairmont Banff Springs, plus for frequenting the other Fairmont properties, in addition thank you so much for writing this amazing review highlighting the many things you experience, enjoyed and witnessed during your stay at the Castle. I certainly hope your travels do bring you back to the Canadian Rockies and to Banff, plus if you would like to stay a year please do not hesitate to let me know. I hope you had a safe trip home to Birmingham. Regards, Edward J. Roe, Hotel Manager, The Fairmont Banff Springs.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

This facility is truly a grand hotel with all of the service, amenities and qulaity food that one would expect. Our stay here was fantastic, from the valet to the front desk personnel.
It doesnt have the bus station feel that the lake loiuse property has, even though the hotel certainly has it share of bus tour guests. Even the bagpipes where playing for us.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mark090702
EJROE, General Manager at Fairmont Banff Springs, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Dear Valued Guest from Sedona, thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Fairmont Banff Springs. In addition, thank you for highlighting your great stay due to the wonderful service received by the valet and front desk teams, and I was pleased to read you enjoyed our resident bagpiper. Looking forward to welcoming you back in the very near future and I trust you had a safe trip home to Arizona. Regards, Edward J. Roe, Hotel Manager,The Fairmont Banff Springs.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

We stayed at this hotel during a friend's birthday weekend and really enjoyed ourselves. Our room was a suite although they are old looking and warm. No air conditioning, just an open window and fan. This didn't really cool off the room during the day, but seemed to work at night.

Much of our weekend was spent in and around Banff which is a fantastic location with a ton of fun things to do.

The hotel itself is old and a little disorienting in finding which wing to turn to get to your room. Still, a character hotel with a lot of ammenities.

The staff were super helpful and trained to care for their guest with great care and attention. We ate at the breakfast buffet and it was good although a little over priced. Our friend had a dinner in the Pyramid lounge at the back and it was ok at best. The temperature in this room was very very warm and became uncomfortable. I don't believe the meals were good at all. Most people (there were about 50 of us) didn't like their meals.

We would stay here again just for the ambience and location near the bow falls. Beautiful location in the Canadian Rockies. Can't be beat.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank tickledpink88

Dear Valued Guest from Edmonton, thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Fairmont Banff Springs when you were celebrating your friend’s birthday weekend. In addition, please accept my sincere apologies for the disappointment with the air conditioning in your suite, and please do not hesitate to let me know your suite number as all our suites should have fully functioning air conditioning. I was very happy to read that you found the colleagues were “super helpful” as “the Castle in the Rockies” certainly can be a little confusing due to its character and hallways, and I was pleased that you loved our location near the Bow Falls. Looking forward to welcoming you back in the very near future and I trust you had a safe trip home to Edmonton. Regards, Edward J. Roe, Hotel Manager,The Fairmont Banff Springs.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

My wife and I splashed out way beyond what we have ever paid in our lives for a hotel and stayed here to celebrate my 50th birthday. We had reserved a 2 night stay on the Romantic Getaway package which included breakfast and dinner for both nights as well as a bottle of sparkling wine upon arrival.. We also chose an upgrade if possible to a deluxe King room, which was duly available upon arrival.

From our perspective, we had read both great and poor reviews on Tripadvisor and arrived this weekend wondering which end of the spectrum we would experience.

We need not have worried. From the moment we arrived, all staff were friendly and courteous, with nothing being too much trouble. Our room, 887 in the main building was lovely, taking into account that we were up towards the turrets of the hotel, but the view.............just blew us away. As we looked out, the mountains, Bow Valley Falls and the river was just phenomenal. In fact sometimes, we sat on our window seat simply admiring the beauty below us.

Food, both at breakfast and dinner in the Bow Valley Grill was substantial and of excellent quality. Service was swift and personal with staff wishing me a happy birthday by name which was a very nice touch. Indeed, when we arrived, a birthday cake was in our room with the wine and further birthday treats were presented for dessert on my birthday yesterday.

Finally, this morning, we sat in our room cheering on Andy Murray to the Wimbledon title, in a lovely hotel with a view that is simply stunning. We will always remember where we were when Andy Murray won Wimbledon.

Thanks to everyone we met at the Fairmont (and Andy Murray) for making our stay unforgettable.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank patc01
EJROE, General Manager at Fairmont Banff Springs, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2013

Dear Valued Guest from Blackpool, Thank you so much for selecting The Fairmont Banff Springs as the destination to celebrate your 50th birthday and in addition thank you so much for writing a review on Tripadvisor. I was very pleased to read you were not disappointed, especially with the upgrade, room # 887, the bottle of sparkling wine waiting in your room, breakfast in the Bow Valley Grill, along with the swift & personal service that you received and to top it all off (which I cannot take any credit for) Andy Murray winning Wimbledon. Thank you once again for staying with us and for writing this review, and I trust you had a safe trip back to England and to the Golden Mile of Blackpool. Yours Sincerely Edward J. Roe, Hotel Manager,The Fairmont Banff Springs

Reviewed July 6, 2013

We stayed there for two nights on our way home from Yoho National Park an hour west.

We stayed on the concierge floor and had exceptional service. Our room was mid sized which was great as we were traveling with our adult son. Breakfast and happy hour appetizers were included and well done. A very nice stay aps the only disappointment were the morning scrambled eggs. That said the views and location are excellent. While we needed a car to go into Banff it was only a short drive. The town was a bit like a western version of Carmel, CA but more down to earth.

The concierge recommended a small vegetarian restaurant which was terrific. I am not a vegie. but it might be able to turn into one if I could have them cook all my meals!

I recommend the concierge floor if you can swing it. It is well worth it.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank nlwl
EJROE, General Manager at Fairmont Banff Springs, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2013

Dear Valued Guest from Ohio, Thank you so much for staying with us on your way back from the Yoho National Park and for staying on our Fairmont Gold Level. I was pleased to read that the Fairmont Gold Concierge and the amenities were very well received and thank you for highlighting the disappointment with the scrambled egg during the breakfast service, as I will certainly be following up tomorrow morning to see if this was a one off or if something needs to be tweaked. If there is anything that I can further assist with please do not hesitate to let me know and I trust you had a safe trip back to Cleveland. Thank you once again for the review and for staying at The Fairmont Banff Springs.Regards, Edward J. Roe, Hotel Manager,The Fairmont Banff Springs.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Banff
Moose Hotel and Suites
Stoneridge Mountain Resort by CLIQUE
Banff Aspen Lodge
Banff Aspen Lodge
#8 of 33 in Banff

Been to Fairmont Banff Springs? Share your experiences!