“Loved this hotel”

Fairmont Banff Springs
Ranked #2 of 33 Hotels in Banff
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 27, 2013

What a lovely location and room. We overlooked the falls and river. There is no air conditioning but it isn't needed if you open 1-2 windows and use the fan. The room is well furnished and comfortable. It is a short walk to the main street of Banff with LOTS of shopping. There is also a bus/shuttle if you don't want to walk. The breakfast buffet at the Bay Grille has a wide selection and is very good.

We stayed 2 extra nights due to the flooding in Canada. The staff did an outstanding job under very difficult circumstances.

We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank drsjewell
EJROE, General Manager at Fairmont Banff Springs, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2013

Dear Valued Guest from Atlanta, Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor and on behalf of the entire team at The Fairmont Banff Springs we were very happy to read you loved your view and found your room to be very comfortable. In addition, we trust the inconvenience of the floods did not negatively impact your visit to the Canadian Rockies and to Banff . We are certainly looking forward to welcoming you back to Canada in the very near future. Yours sincerely Edward J. Roe, Hotel Manager, The Fairmont Banff Springs.

Reviewed June 26, 2013

My husband and I live just outside of Banff, but thought we just had to go experience the Banff Springs. The property itself and scenery is breathtaking, walking around the grounds or lounging in the pool makes for a relaxing time. We were actually upgraded to a different room, it was a tad small (but older hotel rooms are on the small side, so this wasn't a surprise or a disappointment)...we had a great view and the sunlight poured in (some of my friends barely had a window...it really depends what room you get). The beds were extremely comfy, we had no desire to get up early and go snowboarding. The service was pretty good...kind of wondered why everyone else got baggage service but us though.
I am a little divided...overall, we had a great stay...I wouldn't stay here again only because I usually don't spend much time in my hotel room and could stay elsewhere for less, and be closer to downtown...but the setting of the hotel takes the cake, so I say go and stay here if you haven't before!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank KapotK007
Fairmont_Banff_Mgmt, Manager at Fairmont Banff Springs, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2013

Thank you for your review. It is very meaningful to hear from our neighbours and friends in the Bow Valley. Thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed June 26, 2013

We choose to spend our entire 5 nights stay in the Rockies at the Fairmont Banff springs hotel and we weren't disappointed. We had planned to split our stay between Banff and lake Louise (which we also visited), but we definitely fee we made the right choice!
The location was excellent, it's an easy drive from Calgary and the scenery is breathtaking.
We decided to stay on the Gold floor, which was pretty expensive relative to the other rooms, but we were concerned about size and space. We were upgraded upon arrival to a junior suite which spacious and had a stunning mountain view. However our only complaint was the absolutely tiny bathroom! It was smaller than the closet and a bit of a shock. It was impossible for two people to be in there at the same time and there was barely room to put your toiletries down. We did bring this up with the hotel staff, but they explained that because the hotel was such an old structure, this is unfortunately how the bathrooms were designed....so if like me you like to pamper and take your time getting showered and ready,..be warned!
The Gold floor lounge was relaxing and great for breakfast and all day refreshments, we certainly made the most of it. I often find it frustrating in a hotel when you have to call room service (and pay the delivery charge) for something as small as a cup of coffee or a bottle of water. So being able to walk to the Lounge and help yourself was really useful.
The staff throughout the hotel were incredibly polite and friendly, making us feel very welcome and always willing to help organise dinners and excursions etc etc.

the Fairmont likes to advertise their numerous restaurants, however we did find these a bit hit or miss. The Italian was very good and food delicious, whilst the Bow Valley grill, was huge, crowded, over priced and really very average at best. However there are numerous great restaurants in Banff springs towns (we highly recommend the local Canadian fine dinning and the Greek Restuarant!)
One of the huge advances of staying at the Fairmont is that you can walk into town, which is ideal for shops and eating options.

Overall... Whilst, we normally stay away from such huge hotels, we would recommend this hotel if your visiting the Rockies and recommending going for the Gold level for the more personal experience and privacy from the crowds.

Room Tip: Gold floor,mountain views...worth the cost.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Neelam P

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your perspective, and are pleased you enjoyed and would recommend the Gold floor. We hope you will return again.

Reviewed June 26, 2013

Inattentive trainee staff member working with the computer kept us waiting before we could check in, and then, when she finally acknowledged that we were standing in front of her (no one else was around), sent us somewhere else. When we arrived at the second check in, the clerk also ignored us until she finished a long phone call. Later, we walked some distance to a restaurant on the grounds only to find it was closed. Hotel literature said it would be open. Ended up eating in our room at exhorbitant cost.

Junior suite roomy, but bathroom tiny with only a shower, no tub, no counter space for toiletries. Shower was finicky and hard to regulate.

We have only begun a two-day stay, but it has not started out
well. Here's hoping things get better.

• Stayed: June 2013
3  Thank Trueblue2000

We appreciate the opportunity to connect with you and have read your review. A Hotel representative has emailed you. We hope to hear from you soon.

Reviewed June 26, 2013

I have a soft spot for the old CP hotels which are now run as Fairmonts and this is my favourite. It was built to entice travellers to take the train to this breathtaking location at the intersection of a number of Rocky Mountains peaks and rivers that still retains it's castle like feel. The rooms typical of an old hotel and sometimes smallish, but as a returning guest, they upgraded me to a suite and you could live comfortably in some of their suites!
My reasons for writing is that I was disappointed by a few smallish concerns like no milk/cream in the fridge to go with the coffee (an oversight which housekeeping brought up within 10 minutes) and a sink that wouldn't drain properly. I had to pull out the stopper and saw it was covered with mold (which again, I imagine you'd find in most drains because I doubt very many people clean the bottom of these). I responded to the hotel survey expressing my disappointment with these admittedly not huge lapses but truthfully at the prices you pay at some of the Fairmonts (including this one in season), you really do expect a seamless, almost perfect performance.
Well, the GM called me personally to apologize and offered me a couple of nights accommodation as their guest if I return in the next year. I'm not likely to take him up on the offer so my main reason for writing is to share this thought ...
No company can operate without making mistakes, so the mark of a great company is how they fix those mistakes. This gents attention to detail and offer turned my most recent impression from one of "they're slipping" to "how many companies still care this much". Middling word or mouth from me has become once again exceptional so kudos and 5 stars for how they resolved this.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Dave H

Thank you. Your review had been read by our team and appreciated.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

After staying at the Fairmont Banff Springs for the first time, I felt compelled to write a review after it just didn't live up to my expectations. For the price, I expected world class service and facilities. I was extremely unhappy with the poor cell phone reception, and excruciatingly slow Internet in the business centre. With the world becoming more connected, I expected better connectivity for a hotel that was supposedly exceptional. I also found the service to be hit and miss. After my massage I was told I would be given a glass of water outside, but there was no glass of water. There also wasn't enough sitting room inside the waiting area for the spa and it was a bit cold to be waiting outside. I was looking forward to showering, but the shower in the hotel room was lukewarm at best and the water pressure was weak. The room was too cold unless I was under the covers in bed. I made a point of asking for a feedback form and was only given a paper form for thanking employees for good service. I was told that the hotel was trying to be environmentally friendly by not having paper feedback forms and to email my feedback, but then why was the "good service" form on paper? And if I had to email my feedback, I would have to pay to use the Internet at the business centre using the slow connection there. To be fair, I enjoyed my massage and the food was reasonable, though pricey. Given a choice, I would go elsewhere.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank JenniferSmith80

Thank you for your review. It has been shared with our management team. A Hotel representative has emailed you to offer assistance.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

We visited the Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel for 4 nights in late June 2013. This was our second visit to the BSH.

Our visit was right in the middle of the Bow river floods in southern Alberta. Roads in and out of the area were cut off, but the service at the hotel continued at the usual top notch level. We were able to enjoy our vacation as if nothing was going on in the outside world. Actually, Banff was mostly still business-as-usual, as it was nearby communities like Canmore that were hardest hit.

We used the Willow Stream Spa on one of the rainy days, and as usual, their spa was fantastic. It is probably the best hotel spa we have ever used.

We ate at the Bow Valley Grill, the Banffshire Grill, the Waldhaus Pub and the Rundle Lounge. In every restaurant the meals were wonderful. Perhaps a tad expensive, but still excellent.

Our room was a 1-bedroom corner suite in the main building with views over the Bow river valley in one direction and down the Spray river valley in the other direction. It even had a walk-in closet. The furnishings are looking a bit tired, but the room was large, comfortable and had fantastic views.

When the Trans-Canada highway to Calgary closed on our second day here, we were unsure about how we were getting home. The Fairmont staff were great about keeping us informed about all developments so we could go on enjoying our vacation as usual. We eventually checked out of the hotel after 4 nights instead of the planned 5, since the only way back to the airport meant a 6-hour drive up through Red Deer instead of the usual 1 hour through Canmore. The hotel never charged us for the final night, and even made arrangements for us to stay near the airport on the final night.

We made use of the bell staff, valet parking, had many questions for the concierges, and service was fast and excellent.

We will definitely return to this property again.

Room Tip: Main building is nicer than the Stanley Thompson wing.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DCH_in_Canada

We sincerely thank you for your complimentary review. It was a pleasure to have assisted you, and our colleagues will like knowing you appreciated their efforts.