“The most perfect stay!”

Fairmont Banff Springs
Ranked #2 of 33 Hotels in Banff
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 2, 2013

After working in the hotel industry myself for 7 years and being an avid traveler, I have never experienced a hotel stay like my stay at your hotel.

I recently travelled to your beautiful hotel from March 21-23. I just wanted to send you a note to say how delighted I was to be your guest from beginning to end.

Everyone I encountered was upmost friendly, helpful and attentive. They used my name whenever possible and the Royal Service Operators treated me like I was their only call of the day and they wanted to keep me on the line! Exemplary service.

When I arrived, I was greeted by your bellmen and was offered service (great first impression). Your front desk clerk (didn't get her name, dark hair in a pony tail with glasses, hometown was a small town in New Brunswick) was very friendly and was happy to answer all my questions. She told me she really loves working at the hotel and working for Fairmont and it showed!

I was so happy that upon check-in, I was given a handy map of the property. This was very helpful and greatly appreciated. It allowed me to explore at my leisure. I must tell you that the signage throughout the hotel is the best I have ever seen. Certainly a plus. I felt like everything I could ever need or want was right there on your property. I never wanted to leave!

My room, 309, was perfect and had a nice mountain view. Nicely equipped and I really like the in-room Kieureg.

Your outdoor heated pool is a little piece of heaven. It's the most perfect place to relax and refresh.

I also experienced your spa. Miss Moses, my aesthetician, was wonderful and she told me she really loves working there too. Always nice to hear. Your spa is one of the best I've been to. The private pool is a plus as well. Very quiet and relaxing.

Your afternoon tea in the Rundle Lounge is wonderful. Everything was perfect and Lindsay your hostess is a true delight and a wonderful asset to your team. The food was daintily and delicious.

I also want to make special note of the various green initiates going on at the hotel. It is noticeable and so very important. Right down to the small sign in the fitness centre asking guests to re-use their water cup. Your property/Fairmont chain is a trailblazer for these types of initiatives. It is so very important and thank you for making me feel like I did a good thing for the environment by staying with Fairmont.

I don't ski so I probably won't be back to the area but I can't wait to tell people about my stay at your hotel. It won't be a stories about my trip to Banff, per say. It will be stories about my most prefect stay at The Fairmont Banff Springs.

Thank you and your staff again so much. Keep up the amazing work!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Terri M
EJROE, Manager at Fairmont Banff Springs, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2013

We are so happy to hear how much you enjoyed your resort activities - from dining to spa! We will share your review with our team. They will appreciate it very much and we hope we will have you back as our guest again for another 'perfect stay'.

There are newer reviews for Fairmont Banff Springs

Reviewed April 1, 2013

I generally find all Fairmonts to be top notch but this one was a bit of a disappointment. The hotel appears to be a castle transformed into a hotel. Rooms give you apt he feeling that you are in a cheap motel. Washrooms need work as plumbing fixture require some serious muscle to operate. I would look for another property next time in Banff,

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank GundaG_13

Thank you for your candid feedback. As we care very much about your perception and experience, a hotel representative will be reaching out via your private profile to discuss your visit.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

I have not stayed at this hotel in over 30 years, what a mistake that was. Treat yourself and your family to luxury at its finest!
PROS
Gorgeous Location
Amazing Spa
Clean, Clean, Clean
A fridge in your room that you can actually store food and drinks in!
Super Quiet rooms
Amazing Food with free Coffee Refills
Great beds with great pillows
Treated like royalty

CONS
A little pricey, but worth every penny!
Parking is $25 a day but beats finding a parking spot on the street

Dont wait to treat yourself to this lovely historic hotel nestled in the Rocky Mountains, I will return again and again!!

Room Tip: Stay anywhere in the Main Lodge
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank LisaA66

We certainly hope you will not wait 30 years to return! Thank you for your very positive review which we will share with our colleagues. Thank you for returning to the Castle in the Rockies, especially on our 125th anniversary year!!

Reviewed March 31, 2013

As expected, the service was outstanding. From the pre check-in person outside as you drive into the main entrance, who after finding your name in the list, radios in your arrival and assigns you a specific person to help you out with the check in process. You're better off using their Valet parking service, it's only a few bucks more than the daily parking cost, and you don't have to drag your luggage from the parking lot which is quite a ways away, they take all your luggage directly to your room. All tips, are included in your room's rate, so you're recovering the difference right there.
I was offered an upgrade to a view, and it was definitely worth the $40 a day to have a view of the river and the mountains at the back of the hotel from a 4th floor room.
The castle is outstanding, its history and its beauty. I would encourage to explore it as much as possible. They have a very open policy and don't mind people getting to know the place. They provide you with a map when you check in so use it!. It's like traveling in time and in space to some castle in Europe hundreds of years in the past, but with the majestic view of the Canadian Rockies.
Lastly, the rates are not as high as to stop you from treating you for a night or two if you're on a budget.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade to a view, it's not that expensive and worth it.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Calyponte

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. We are happy that we surpassed your expectations and that you found great value in your room, the upgrade to view, valet service and guest services overall.

Reviewed March 31, 2013

We stayed at the Banff Springs March 10 to 12, 2013 for a conference and found a huge change since our stay 2008.

Upon arrival we requested valet parking, the employee said he'd be right back and never returned after 15 minutes so we decided to take advantage of the free self-parking.

Our room was very small with two tiny windows overlooking the parkade. As well the room was very hot and if we wanted the window open for some air then we had to raise the blinds and have the bright lights of the parkade shining in, not to mention the lack of privacy.

The next day I left the card on the bed to request a change of linens only to find that the duvet had only been pulled over the wrinkled sheets which only makes us question if we had clean sheets in the first place. The duvet had seen it's day, the feathers were all clumped up in corners of the baffling. The coffee and sweetener had not been replenished properly. I did manage to get more coffee from Housekeeping. We also found the soap, shampoos, etc. to be very heavily scented with perfume, a suggestion would be to go with something unscented as many people have skin sensitivities.

Sheets and towels, thin and worn, are definitely not what you would expect for a five star hotel. The inside of the hotel is really in need of a facelift as it is looking very worn and shabby, wallpaper torn, carpets fraying.

When I went to the desk to settle the bill I asked the staff to please not deactivate my key card as I still had my belongings in my room until noon, only to find out that I was immediately locked out. I asked one of the Housekeeping staff if he could let me in and he said he would be right there. After waiting several minutes I called the front desk and they said they would send someone over. After 15 minutes a bellboy walking by let me in. Another 15 minutes later the Housekeeping staff showed up and said he had to finish cleaning the other room first before he could come to let me in.

We would have taken advantage of using the fitness centre however I did not feel I should have to pay an additional fee on top of the already overpriced room to use it.

On a positive note, staff are very friendly and courteous, just not enough of them to keep up with the demands of a huge hotel.

Room Tip: The hotel is great to look at from the outside but as far as rooms go there are much nicer hotels in...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
5  Thank IslandGal3P

We are sorry for your disappointment and please know we take it to heart!

A hotel representative has reached out privately to you, and will continue to investigate this service shortfall which is not our standard.

Reviewed March 29, 2013

Were currently spending the night, location and hotel are beautiful. Food is fantastic....room however was dirty...we noticed short black hairs on the pillows and dusty window sils. We immediatly asked house keeping to change the sheets and they said they would send someone right away. We went off to explore and came back after dinner and a swim. Room was turned down so we assumed everything was cleaned. Went to put my 22 mth to bed and seen the hairs were still there. My daughter then proceeded to find a sippy cup under the bed and started drinking from it. I obviously called housekeeping again and they sent a lovley girl to clean the bedroom (we were in a suite)and change all the sheets. While she was there front desk called they offered to give us a standard room (even though we had prepaid for a suite) with no renumeration. I said no to the room change/downgrade as housekeeping was fixing the issue and being downgraded was not sufficent. He then said all he could do was give us breakfast in the AM. As someone who works in the travel industry this is appauling. I understand things get overlooked and am a reasonable person. If the sheets had been changed when I had originally asked I wouldn't have complained at all. I have never written a negative review before but this case warranted it.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank maryrego

Please accept our sincerest apologies for your disappointment and please know we are committed to ensuring follow up on the shortfalls you shared. We have connected privately with you and appreciate the opportunity to do so.

Reviewed March 29, 2013

I have high expectations for hotels. I expect Great rooms. Great service. Great food. Especially when I'm paying (what I consider) top dollar for the experience. The Fairmont Banff Springs did not live up to those expectations. I had booked a suite for my family - so we'd have a little extra space to spread out. Upon arrival, I was given a Stanley Thompson Suite - room number 1825. To call this room a suite is a bit of a joke. The living room was the size of a walk-in closet. And yes, there was a sofa in the room and a flat screen television. But based on the room arrangement, it would be impossible to watch the television while sitting on the sofa. The bedroom was smaller than a standard room in the hotel with a window overlooking a stone wall. The room was dark, poorly designed and depressing. Needless to say, it was a bad way to beginning an 8 day stay.

I went back to the front desk and asked for a different room. "Unfortunately, due to the length of your stay, there are no other rooms available." So because I'm a customer staying for a long stay - and therefore spending more money - I have fewer choices. Really?

My only choice was a standard room with two full-sized beds. Which I gladly took because it was bright and in the main building. (By the way - The Stanley Thompson Suites are in a separate building next to the main hotel.)

So do the math, I'm paying for a one-bedroom suite. I stayed in a standard room. And the hotel was unwilling to do anything to make up for the price difference. That was my first two hours.

After that, my time at the hotel was fine. The service was fine, not great. The spa was overly expensive, so we used a facility in town. The restaurants were very limited during the week. The experience was not what I expect from a hotel of this type.

Even with the bad beginning, in fairness, I gave the hotel and 'Average' rating. Since parts of the experience were good. Would I go back? No. Would I go back to Banff? Yes, in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Rich058

We appreciate your candid review and the opportunity to connect with you, which we will do via your profile. We do apologize that if in Banff again you would not stay with us, and that is certainly our loss. We hope that through communication with you we can reassure you that your business is important to us.

The Fairmont Banff Springs

Also consider these accommodations in or near Banff
Moose Hotel and Suites
Stoneridge Mountain Resort by CLIQUE
Banff Aspen Lodge
Banff Aspen Lodge
#8 of 33 in Banff

Been to Fairmont Banff Springs? Share your experiences!