“What a Setting”

Fairmont Banff Springs
Ranked #2 of 33 Hotels in Banff
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 10, 2012

Now I have stayed in a few Fairmont Hotels and always find them to be a tad boring, albeit 100% functional for the traveller (with the exception of Fairmont Pacific Rim however which is awesome). This Fairmont is all of that but in the most beautiful setting you could imagine. The room I had was a large suite in the corner of the main building and to say it could fill a family easily is an understatement. Banff itself it just...... Amazing. If this hotel was anywhere else it would get 4 stars from me but the setting makes this one of my "Fairmont Faves". Can't wait to go back....

Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Grenville99
Fairmont_Banff_Mgmt, Manager at Fairmont Banff Springs, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2012

We are so pleased that Banff is rated high on your list of destinations, as is The Fairmont Banff Springs! We hope you will return again soon.

Reviewed November 9, 2012

We stayed here for our anniversary this year and I really did feel spoiled! It's unlikely we'll be going back there anytime soon (it's not in our usual weekend budget!!!) so we totally splurged and went for Gold. The Fairmont Gold rooms were about $150 more, however, the views from the room are truly spectacular, the rooms are very nicely done and large, you get complimentary access to the fitness room and, in the Fairmont Gold lounge, you are treated to complimentary appetizers and coffee/soft drinks in the evening (there is also an honour bar with surprisingly reasonable prices!) and a really nice complimentary buffet breakfast which has flair and imagination in the offerings! The staff is excellent - from the front desk at the main foyer to the private Gold reception area. All members of staff were attentive but unobtrusive. Another thing to note, the hotel does not take tips for its staff if you offer - the hotel manager decided it made things much less awkward for guests. Great!!! So the staff members are doing what they do because they care and not for the extra coin! Impressive! Another tip - if you join the Presidents Club before you go, you can enjoy the private spa facilities (pools, saunas and outside hot tub) without having an actual treatment for less too! We treated our parents to the famous Banff Springs Sunday brunch once we had checked out (great check out time of 12pm) and that was a fabulous treat to end our weekend.

Room Tip: Definitely go for Gold!!! Ask for a room away from the elevators.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Caro37

Thank you for spending your anniversary with us!! We are really pleased that you enjoyed your time on the Gold floor and the amenities the hotel has to offer. Our colleagues will certainly enjoy reading this review. Thank you again and best wishes for many more years to come.

Reviewed November 8, 2012

The staff at the Banff Springs are stellar! Every person I spoke to was helpful, knowledgeable and went out of their way to make sure we all had a good time and had everything we needed.
The hotel in my opinion; is one of the best in the world. I stayed in the Stanley Thompson wing which is in the newer part of the hotel. The room was large, quiet and comfortable.
This was a working weekend but I have stayed at other times and have always received wonderful service. The food in every restaurant is impeccable. There are plenty of spots to curl up in a comfortable chair to enjoy the view if you have the time!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Janspar
Reviewed November 7, 2012

I had a lovely stay at the hotel. I found the rooms to be small but considering the age of the property you would hardly want to spend anymore then an hour or two in them before you went out and explored.
The food was terrific and I found all the staff to be kind and helpful.
It is about a 10-15 minute walk to the centre of Banff but its an enjoyable one.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Adriwil

Thank you for your compliments to our culinary team and to the overall friendliness at the hotel. We do appreciate it.

Reviewed November 7, 2012

When going to the Banff Springs you can book a shuttle from the airport that takes you directly to the Banff Springs about $125.00 round trip. The drive is about 2hours as they stop at various hotels to drop off people. Once you get to the hotel and let me tell you that the 1st hours drive is boring then the mountains appear and its wonderful. The hotel itself from the outside is unbelievable. The view is spectacular! The hotel is very large almost in 3 sections. The people at the desk are very friendly. They give you maps of the hotel and before you know it you know your way around. When we got our room we were in the new section, however we had to change because we requested a KING size bed but instead we got 2 queen and a cot? That room was large as I understand all the rooms in that section are. The room was ok. We were then moved into the Stanley Wing. The door ways look like they were made for short people. The room was ok. I'm not usual critical but I expected more. The bed skirt was not properly placed, the bathroom was really small but overall clean. When I looked out the window-yes I could see the mountains but I could also see the dumpster!!! The restaurants were good! Lunch at the Rundle Lounge was excellent! The Grill offered a wonderful buffet which was great but expensive, but any of the Fairmount hotel restaurants are expensive. I loved the fact that they had a cafe in the lobby open 24 hours. Muffins, coffee or fast items to go were available at a much cheaper cost. We booked the Gondola's which was a must see $13.00 taxi ride or 2 buses. To go into town you can walk-15 minutes-Great Restaurants and gift shops. A bus ride is $2.00 each way and to get back you take the blue line. We even saw an elk wondering the street. Pictures does not do this place justice-the castle is wonderful with a lot of history. Take a wonder through the hotel as it has wonderful art, and history. They also have an outdoor spring which is free. The pool area was clean and well maintained. I didn't go into the gym but it looked good but I think you have to pay to use it. The spa looked nice but I did not use it. This place is a must see not only for its history (I think it was built in 1888 or there abouts) but for its view.

Room Tip: IF you want a larger room stay in the new section-Conference section but a bit of a walk from the ma...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank KatandAnth
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Stayed here as part of an Insight 2 week coach tour of Canada in August, so I don’t know the cost of a night at this Hotel.
The Room was rather small but fine very small bathroom, the Hotel however is great, the views from the rear terrace are beautiful . The restaurant was very good and we were well looked after, as was the buffet breakfast.
The Hotel is bit out of town approx 30 minute walk, it is worth staying here just for the atmosphere of the place, we had an elk walk across the road just next to the Hotel.
It is a bit of distance from the Sulphur Mountain Gondola and hot springs but we had the Insight Coach too take us, don’t really know how long it would have taken to walk.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NSWSTEAMPOWER1
Reviewed November 5, 2012

This is hotel is the best!!! My wife and I spent our honeymoon here 10 years ago and we returned for our 10th Anniversary. The hotel and staff made our stay the most memorable, even better than our Honeymoon!! This castle is immense and we have still to explore the full hotel but look forward to returning to continue our exploration of this grand hotel

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple