Fairmont Banff Springs
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
Good 3.5/5
7,211 results
All reviewsgold floorbanff springsrundle loungestanley thompson wingthe bow valley grillchop housewillow stream spawaldhaus pubbowling alleythe outdoor heated poolbucket listbeautiful hotellake louisethe main hotelcanadian rockiesself parkingrooms are small
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 7, 2012

When going to the Banff Springs you can book a shuttle from the airport that takes you directly to the Banff Springs about $125.00 round trip. The drive is about 2hours as they stop at various hotels to drop off people. Once you get to the hotel and let me tell you that the 1st hours drive is boring then the mountains appear and its wonderful. The hotel itself from the outside is unbelievable. The view is spectacular! The hotel is very large almost in 3 sections. The people at the desk are very friendly. They give you maps of the hotel and before you know it you know your way around. When we got our room we were in the new section, however we had to change because we requested a KING size bed but instead we got 2 queen and a cot? That room was large as I understand all the rooms in that section are. The room was ok. We were then moved into the Stanley Wing. The door ways look like they were made for short people. The room was ok. I'm not usual critical but I expected more. The bed skirt was not properly placed, the bathroom was really small but overall clean. When I looked out the window-yes I could see the mountains but I could also see the dumpster!!! The restaurants were good! Lunch at the Rundle Lounge was excellent! The Grill offered a wonderful buffet which was great but expensive, but any of the Fairmount hotel restaurants are expensive. I loved the fact that they had a cafe in the lobby open 24 hours. Muffins, coffee or fast items to go were available at a much cheaper cost. We booked the Gondola's which was a must see $13.00 taxi ride or 2 buses. To go into town you can walk-15 minutes-Great Restaurants and gift shops. A bus ride is $2.00 each way and to get back you take the blue line. We even saw an elk wondering the street. Pictures does not do this place justice-the castle is wonderful with a lot of history. Take a wonder through the hotel as it has wonderful art, and history. They also have an outdoor spring which is free. The pool area was clean and well maintained. I didn't go into the gym but it looked good but I think you have to pay to use it. The spa looked nice but I did not use it. This place is a must see not only for its history (I think it was built in 1888 or there abouts) but for its view.

Room Tip: IF you want a larger room stay in the new section-Conference section but a bit of a walk from the main lobby. If you want history stay in the main part. Walk around and explore the hotel it huge!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank KatandAnth
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Stayed here as part of an Insight 2 week coach tour of Canada in August, so I don’t know the cost of a night at this Hotel.
The Room was rather small but fine very small bathroom, the Hotel however is great, the views from the rear terrace are beautiful . The restaurant was very good and we were well looked after, as was the buffet breakfast.
The Hotel is bit out of town approx 30 minute walk, it is worth staying here just for the atmosphere of the place, we had an elk walk across the road just next to the Hotel.
It is a bit of distance from the Sulphur Mountain Gondola and hot springs but we had the Insight Coach too take us, don’t really know how long it would have taken to walk.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NSWSTEAMPOWER1
Reviewed November 5, 2012

This is hotel is the best!!! My wife and I spent our honeymoon here 10 years ago and we returned for our 10th Anniversary. The hotel and staff made our stay the most memorable, even better than our Honeymoon!! This castle is immense and we have still to explore the full hotel but look forward to returning to continue our exploration of this grand hotel

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ASpencer19
Reviewed November 5, 2012

First of all, the elevators broke again. The staff did not care that my guests including a 92 year old woman had to walk up several flights of stairs. They saw she had to walk up and made no effort whatsoever to accommodate her.

Next, the staff in general are not very helpful. It's just not what you expect when you stay at a hotel such as this. I had to go to three people to get guest services to hold my bags.

That's pretty much what's worth noting, but really, the place is not competitive. I would not go back.

Room Tip: Higher the better
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank fl-traveller123
Reviewed November 5, 2012

The service at the Banff Springs was excellent. The Hotel is beautiful and worth paying a little extra to stay there. It has one of the best Spa's as well. The hotel has great food and the Sunday morning Brunch is worth the price.

Room Tip: Ask to have a view of the valley
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business