“Great Hotel in Beautiful Banff...but that Mattress!!!”

Delta Banff Royal Canadian Lodge
Ranked #9 of 33 Hotels in Banff
Calgary, Canada
“Great Hotel in Beautiful Banff...but that Mattress!!!”
Reviewed January 31, 2011

I have stayed at the Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel many and it is a very nice hotel of course, but on this trip we wanted to try a change of scene, something new and closer to the center of Banff, so we choose the Delta Banff Royal Canadian Lodge this time. Our first Delta hotel stay. The hotel was nice and cozy, the fireplace in the lobby was welcoming. Though the lobby does have a buffalo head above the fireplace. This isn't offensive to be but I imagine some people would be put off. The front desk staff were welcoming and very helpful. We also choose to stay in this hotel because of the grotto pool, hot tub and eucalyptus steam room. These facilities, though not large, were as nice as i've seen in any other hotel and we really enjoyed them - in fact these features made our trip. We had a premier room, with a king size bed and a fireplace. Only the premier rooms have the king beds. The fireplace was nice and I especially appreciated the bathroom, which has an added enclosed space of toilet/tub& shower/sink combo separate from another sink and vanity. As a woman I really appreciated this feature!!!

But that darn bed. Too hard for me. It was ok but we have a new Sterns & Foster mattress at home and I guess I have become a bit spoiled. We got a good deal using CAA/AMA rate.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Calgary
Reviewed January 25, 2011

We fully enjoyed the hotel and amenities on our recent stay. Room was clean and well appointed, with nice touches such as fireplace, bathrobes, safe, bottle opener.
Very good service from all personnel in the hotel and restaurant. Price is high, but this is Delta and Banff, so if you go there, be prepared to pay.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed January 24, 2011

My expectations were that it would be Banff's hotel offering the second highest quality as much in terms of service as in terms of the quality of its ammenities.

Service was good, nothing to say.

Although the place does not look so bad, it is not of the quality most clients would expect. this place needs to be renovated/upgraded or else it will continuously loose its best clients; those looking for a "high-end affordable" place to stay.

Having to get vouchers at the front desk in order to get high speed internet is so 20th century :-)

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed January 20, 2011

Timing is everything, the locals have not seen this much snow in 10 years, avalanches are at a 30 year high. But if you have the real desire to ski, you have to go. The hotel was great, primarily due to the staff. This group of individuals made our stay, all we could ask for. The hotel was clean and the restaurant downstairs was excellent.
For a while we thought we were in Australia, due to the amount of young people on visa's working there, just to take in Canadian skiing. We do have much in common with them, great people.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed January 2, 2011

I travelled with a baby, and I requested for a microwave upon my reservation. When I checked-in, I was told that they did not have any microwave and could not provide one in my room. So, every time I had to warm something up, I had to call housekeeping to get it done. Try that at 2 am when your baby is screaming for milk...not fun! I stayed at other 4/5 stars hotels; none could not accommodate a microwave. This hotel just really wants to make sure you order all food from them...another way to get your money! I stopped tipping the staff who did my milk runs...if each milk run costs me $2...I might as well bought a microwave myself to put inside the room!

The bed we slept in was hard as rock. After the first night, we complained, and housekeeping put on a duvet as a mattress top, which did not help at all! So, after the second night, we complained again, and was told by the front desk that all their beds were like that and she had not heard of any complaints about their beds before (I then found out she had only worked there for 2 months!). She was not going to do anything for me. So, I requested to speak to the manager. After discussing with the manager and 2 hours of ordeal, they finally switched us to another room that had a pillow top mattress (wasn't I just told that all the beds were the same?) Finally I got a few better night sleeps after. The second room we stayed at was a suite...so it would cost more. Staying in a nicer room after was a mere compensation for the 2 horrible nights of sleeps I got. The manager told me that next time I book a room, make sure I ask about the mattresses, because they have 3 - 4 types of beds in the hotel. Seriously???? I never had any issues with beds before, because I expect good beds with 4 / 5 stars hotels. Why would I pay a premium for crappy sleeps?

We valet parked the first couple of days and self parked the last couple. It cost the same. With valet parking, you could end up waiting for 10 - 15 minutes for the bell man to show up, and then another 5 - 10 to get your vehicle. One time, we were told the bell man was on lunch, and ended up getting our own vehicle anyway. Also, you saved yourself some tip money when self park.

Every time we had a complaint, the staff was quick to brushed off our concerns. Their attitudes were not accommodating at all. At their hotel, “customers are not always right”. I got much better service at Fairmont, Rim Rock and even other Delta hotels. For the amount of money we spent on the rooms, we did not get the value we expected. Lastly, their location is not the greatest. It's a 10 minutes walk to the downtown Banff. We drove everyday into downtown because of the cold weather and our little one. To drive back to the hotel from downtown, you have to do a U-turn on Banff Avenue to get to the hotel as there is a median on the road. It's not that straightforward to get to the hotel.

Next time, I'm just going to stay at Rim Rock or Fairmont. With some good research, you will find rooms with comparable rates.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
BanffManagement, Director of Sales at Delta Banff Royal Canadian Lodge, responded to this review, January 10, 2011
Thank you very much for your feedback. I’m extremely sorry to hear that you did not have a satisfactory stay.

Unfortunately, we do not have any microwaves that we are able to provide our guests. We also offer the Delta “Sanctuary Bed” with luxurious pillow top mattress and I am sorry to hear that you were not able to enjoy your sleep as some beds might be harder than others. It was unfortunate that you had to retrieve your own car; we will have our valet coverage increase during the holidays and I apologize for the incident.

We want to make sure every guest enjoys their stay with us, therefore, we try to rectify any problem that is brought to our attention immediately. I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future so you can truly experience the high level of service we strive to provide.
Reviewed January 1, 2011

First time staying at a Delta Hotel, and all it's hype was not lived up to.
Beds very hard ... room between bed and the wall was less that 3 inches.
Front desk basically no help at all, had to ask twice for robes!
Not offered B&B on check in.
Ask for room with fireplace - was not given one.
Spa is just one room stuck in the basement - spa service was OK for the $.
WiFi Internet only worked for a few minutes after coding ... ancient system!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
I would like to thank you for sharing your feedback with us regarding your recent stay. We truly appreciate our guests’ reviews as it assists us to improve our quality of service. I am very sorry that we did not meet your expectations.

We try to accommodate all guest requests unfortunately only some of our room categories have fireplaces and rooms do vary in size. We do offer complimentary wireless as well as wired internet in all the guest rooms and I am sorry to hear that it was not working properly in your room.

Please be aware that all your concerns were shared with our department managers and we hope that we can look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed January 1, 2011

Several brightspots: location is short walk into town. Heated garage 75 degrees F keep all ski accessories nice and warm for the morning commute to the slopes. Coffee in the morning for early risers. Breakfast buffet good but pricey. Room nice...not special...just nice (junior suite with gas fireplace) Steam bath and hot tub good

Several bewares: sheets on bed had not been changed from prior guests! Closet not functional (stuffed in the bathroom with spring-loaded doors that dont stay open). Internet service constantly down - wireless service poor. TV service marginal - no HD and channel choices minimal. One lamp in our room had a short and electrocuted my son. Hotel staff not very helpful with dinner options.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Thank you very much for your feedback. It is with customer comments such as yours that assists us in ensuring that our product is consistent with the expectations of our guests and I am very disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. We encourage all our guests to contact the Front Desk or a Manager during their stay to advise us of any challenges they are experiencing so that we may rectify it immediately. We strive to ensure that all guests have a comfortable and memorable experience.

We offer a variety of menu items in our Evergreen Dining Room at a range of different price points and all menus may be viewed on our website. Our Housekeeping team has been awarded the Housekeeping award for many consecutive years and I can assure you that every bed linen is changed and rooms are immaculately cleaned on a daily basis. We do offer complimentary wired as well as wireless internet in all the guest rooms and I am sorry to hear that you were experiencing some problems.

These are definitely not our hotel standards and I assure you that we are constantly working on improving and providing consistent exceptional customer service. We are pleased to have been your host and hope we can accommodate your needs again in the near future.