“Fine hotel for a short stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Delta Banff Royal Canadian Lodge

Delta Banff Royal Canadian Lodge
Ranked #5 of 32 Hotels in Banff
Edmonton, Canada
“Fine hotel for a short stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

Was here for 2 nights on business. Room was just fine, spacious, good beds, quite comfortable. Bathrooms are big, but could use new tubs and needs to have a magnifying mirror as a convenience. 12 dollars a day for parking is quite reasonable and cleaning windshields at night is a nice touch. Restaurant menu is very good and food is great - chef knows his stuff! Prices in restaurant are reasonable considering quality, but the room rates are on the high side. Front desk staff were more than adequate. Needs a larger fitness facility, way too small. Overall a solid hotel in the Rockies.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Boris M
BanffManagement, Guest Relations Manager at Delta Banff Royal Canadian Lodge, responded to this review, May 11, 2013
Thank you for the wonderful review! I am so happy to hear that your overall stay with us met your expectations and that you enjoyed our menu at The Evergreen Restaurant. I have forwarded your compliments to our Chef and we hope to have you back to our hotel in the near future!

Kind Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

My family and I have stayed here numerous times over the past 10 years and we've always found the hotel clean and the service excellent. The location is excellent and provides easy access to Banff Avenue. The breakfast service and buffet is also quite exceptional. Overall a good value.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Jeff_Larsen
BanffManagement, Guest Relations Manager at Delta Banff Royal Canadian Lodge, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Thank you for the excellent TripAdvisor review! I am so happy to hear that you are a return guest and that our staff have provided you with the great service you deserve while travelling to Banff over the past ten years! I have shared your feedback with our Department Heads and we look forward to having you back to our hotel during your next trip to Banff!

Best Regards
Calgary, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

Decided to bring my significant other here for a birthday getaway. Problems were experienced right away when they set us up in their luxury suite only to see that someone else's name was on the free gift on the bed. We went back down to let them know that this didn't seem to be our room where they told us we were correct. We were then put in a room that was barely the size of a queen bed for which they were charging an outrageous price for. We were then upgraded to a larger room which was just a standard hotel room. The rest of the stay was fine as we didn't have to deal with anyone else at the front desk. However, after the weekend I checked my credit card and there was over $1,000 worth of charges on it and I had already prepaid for the rooms using another website. Since i'm still dealing with the ridiculous charges I can't write about how it is dealt with, but it should have never been an issue in the first place.

If you want an overpriced, poorly managed hotel to stay at in Banff then this is the one for you. If not, I'm sure the Best Western would blow this out of the water.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
4 Thank Quinn C
Thank you for your detailed review. We are very concerned by your feedback as your experience was in no way reflective of the exemplary standards of service, cleanliness and overall quality that guests should expect from our hotel. I wish to thank you for bringing this matter to our attention and for allowing us the opportunity to correct this issue personally by telephone. Our General Manager and Executive Team are aware of your feedback and we are in the process of addressing each issue that you have reported. We will ensure that your experience is not repeated and appreciate your comments.

Victoria, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

We stayed here one night on route from Drumheller heading home through BC. We didn't have a chance to really research where to stay, but we checked via smartphone all the chain hotels and thought this Delta would be a nice choice due to how its quoted online price compared with other chain hotels in the area. We were happy when our walk in price was actually lower... and, given that it was Banff, was happy it was within our budget.

We were met with very polite and helpful staff at the front desk. Our room was on the first floor and we were 'upgraded' to one with a fireplace. The room was nice - a decent size and clean. The bathroom was well equipped. Our view wasn't great - looked out onto the road, but we weren't in the room long enough to really care.

One of the first things we wanted to do was head down to the mineral pool/hot tub area. Although small, it was very nice. For me, the pool area appeared that it was meant to be part of the spa. It was nice, but small and on the darker side. It had a rock 'waterfall' on one side which was a nice feature. We were by ourselves there which was great...I'd hate to see that area filled with families as there just isn't the room. And if I was wanting a spa treatment, how would that be if the pool was filled with a bunch of people? Just not sure how that area would be a busy season.

We didn't eat at the hotel...we quickly looked at the menus and found they were pretty pricey. So we went next door to Chilli's for dinner, and then down the road the following morning for breakfast.

The hotel is a 5 minute walk down the road to the town area. Easy walk with lots to see along the way. On the way back from our evening walk, we ran into a large deer walking down the sidewalk towards town. (we get deer all the time at home so it wasn't unusual for us to see deer, but to have it walk down the sidewalk towards us..it was still a treat!)

I would recommend the Delta to stay in Banff and would likely stay again if/when we are in Banff (but would check on prices as I get the sense there is a lot of variability).

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Sharon M
BanffManagement, Guest Relations Manager at Delta Banff Royal Canadian Lodge, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Thank you for providing a TripAdvisor review about your recent stay with us and for the recommendation! I am pleased to hear that we provided you with great service and value which you deserve while travelling. I have shared your feedback with our staff and we look forward to your next visit to our hotel!!

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

I stayed at the Delta Banff for just one night to break up the travel from Calgary to Jasper. The service was amazing. They went out of their way to help me with the reservation. When I arrived after a long day traveling, my room was just being serviced by housekeeping so would be a few minute wait. The front desk staff was so polite and kind, and offered me tea or coffee while I waited and I had a fresh cup of coffee served to me in minutes. After settling into my room, I went out to explore the town a bit. When I returned, my bed had been turned down, and there was a little note and some sweets for me. As I travel for business on a regular basis, these little touches made a big difference. Also, the entire staff was friendly and polite. I would definately stay here again in my travels take in that direction.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Tracy S
BanffManagement, Guest Relations Manager at Delta Banff Royal Canadian Lodge, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Thank you for the amazing five star review!! We are thrilled to hear that you experienced the quality stay that you deserve while travelling and that you found our staff to be friendly. I have shared your comments with our Department Heads to ensure that our staff receive proper recognition. We look forward to your next visit to our hotel!

Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

We stayed 3 nights this week. Were upgraded to a suite. Quite location but only minutes on foot away from the main 'downtown' action.
Staff were polite and very accomodating. We are definitely coming back for more R and R.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing Couger St.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Eugenie B
BanffManagement, Guest Relations Manager at Delta Banff Royal Canadian Lodge, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Thank you for the five star review!! I'm glad you enjoyed your three night stay with us and that our staff were polite and accommodating. I have passed along your comments to our staff. We look forward to your next visit to our hotel!!

Calgary
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

We stayed at the Delta in Banff for 3 nights earlier this week. It's a great hotel, very comfortable with accommodating staff. We were able to check in a bit earlier than the designates time, the check-in staff was very accommodating, upon request they changed our room location for a quieter option. The room (executive junior) was very spacious, with huge bathroom and a small kitchenette area. There is a little fridge, sink and kettle and a coffee machine. I appreciated two packets of regular coffee instead on one that is typically provided. We used the room service for pre-ordered breakfast a couple of times, the services was timely and friendly. The food was great. We had dinner at the Evergreen restaurant, honestly might have been the best artic char I've ever had. There wasn't a ton of wine options by the glass but we were able to get a great bottle of wine for a reasonable price. The grotto pool area was a nice way to wind down after a day of skiing. The location is convenient as well, it's a far enough from downtown to be a bit quieter but close enough that you can walk to the restaurants and shops.

Room Tip: ask for a room at the back of the hotel not facing the main street.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank VikaCalgary
BanffManagement, Guest Relations Manager at Delta Banff Royal Canadian Lodge, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Thank you for the great feedback!! We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed our services and facilities during your visit with us. Thank you for the positive feedback about our In-room Dining, as well as your dinner at the The Evergreen Restaurant. I have shared your feedback with our staff and we hope to have you back to our hotel in the future.