“Doesn't meet 4-star rating”

Delta Banff Royal Canadian Lodge
Ranked #9 of 33 Hotels in Banff
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We were very excited to spend the evening in Banff at the Delta. When booking, we thought the pictures on the website looked nice and the Delta name usually lives up to higher standards - not to mention that we paid a premium to stay here.

The outside of the hotel looks very modern and inviting but nothing inside this hotel screams 4-stars. Our stay started off poorly as the parking garage was full and difficult to maneuver. After driving around the block a few times we parked in the loading zone and informed the front desk of our problem. They offered to valet the car, we were satisfied with the resolution to this issue and happy to see that we weren't charged for parking. ** Note they charge for parking, which is uncommon for the majority of hotels that do not charge in this area.

The room was tiny and outdated, however clean. The hot tub look very inviting with the lovely stone work but was uncomfortably hot. We lasted about 5 min, but perhaps this was our intolerance.

I would like to point out that the staff were incredibly friendly. I score this so low as our expectations on value were not even close to being met. I don't recommend staying here if you're looking for a true 4 or 4+ star experience in Banff.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank travelar0und_12
BanffManagement, General Manager at Delta Banff Royal Canadian Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2012

Dear Guest;
We appreciate your feedback and apologize for the lack of space in our underground parking as a few parking stalls are being taken by constrcution materials for the existing renovations.
Please accept our sincere apologies in this regard.
I would welcome the opportunity to hear from you directly as we try to address your specific concerns among our own employees. If you wish to contact us, please call the hotel directly (1-800-661-1379) and ask to be directed to the General Manager

Kind Regards

There are newer reviews for Delta Banff Royal Canadian Lodge

Reviewed November 4, 2012

Went to Banff for a friend's wedding and they chose the Delta Banff Royal Canadian Lodge. A bit pricier then some of the hotels we've used before but it was there special day so we booked it to be close to them.

I will say the hotel was great to them and had some special treats for the newlyweds when they returned.

The beds were very comfortable and the fireplace was nice. We were right off the lobby so we heard some noise as people went by. The construction didn't really affect us as we were gone all day.

I loved the pool and hot tub and it was a great and relaxing end to the events of the day. I don't know that I would specifically choose the hotel again, as there are less expensive options, but I don't have any complaints.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank CalJay
BanffManagement, Manager at Delta Banff Royal Canadian Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2012

Kind Regards

Reviewed October 30, 2012

We arrived to find the hotel under pretty major renovations in the front lobby and surrounding area, to the point where I could not hear the clerk at the front desk explain the details of my stay. There were no warnings that the hotel was undergoing renovations, and no discount for the inconvenience, either. The front desk clerk gave us an option to ‘upgrade’ from a room with two queen beds to a room with a king bed for a surcharge (really? Even lower end hotels offer this at no charge these days, especially on days they are not busy, as was the case). The first room we were given had windows DIRECTLY facing the construction (in fact, the construction workers and equipment were within five feet of the window, and visible from the beds). The cordless phone to call the front desk did not work. We asked to be moved, and while we could still see and hear the construction, at least we were one floor up from it. The room condition was ok; the heating had been turned off for a while so it was cold, and there were some suspect stains in the bathroom. The room was very simple - not what you would expect from a lodge (no fireplace, no couch, only two beds and a TV). The best part was the comfortable beds – and we had two of them (!). Overall, I would say that the Banff Delta (along with other Deltas I have stayed at) is more like a three to three and a half star hotel with four star pricing, and I would recommend going elsewhere. The nice furniture does not make up for the lack of service. I know that I will not stay at a Delta again given the choice.

2  Thank vancouverik
BanffManagement, Manager at Delta Banff Royal Canadian Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2012

Thank you for your feedback. I'm sorry to hear you did not have a satisfactory stay
We would welcome the opportunity to hear from you directly as we try to address your specific concerns among our own employees. If you wish to contact us, please call the hotel directly (1-800-661-1379) and ask to be directed to our General Manager.

Best Regards

Reviewed October 27, 2012

We booked off Expedia for $160/night. We spent one night at the Delta. It is right in town so you wont get much of a view. We did upgrade our room for $20 to be off the main floor and looking at the path and a dingy old shack with brown icecles that is next to the property. The staff had no issue changing the room and were very sweet. There is not much to the upgraded room, just a king size bed and a fire place instead. It was better than the first floor - but not really worth the money in off season. The bed was comfy and room was clean. There is a pool, but it was closed temporarily. The in-house restaurant looked nice but we did not eat there. There is under ground parking for $12/night. The room service list did not strike our fancy and seemed very pricey for what choices there were.

Room Tip: Don't bother with a 1st floor room.
1  Thank irishsiren74

Thank you for your review. We greatly appreciate your feedback, and hope you are back to enjoy Banff again.

Best regards

Reviewed October 26, 2012

I stayed at the Delta because of the ratings and reviews I had seen and for its quirky grotto spa/pool area only to arrive and find the pool and spa area were out of order due to maintenance for 5 days. The room was standard with 2 queens which was nice but it was such a blow to find the pool and hot tub were out of order for 5 days. I told the staff on check out I was unhappy and they simply said " oh yeh sorry."The hotel could have comped parking or upgraded us to a room with a fireplace to compensate for this or just have gone that extra mile make up for it. They offered another pool at there sister hotel couple mins walk away but that's the last thing you want to do when you pay a high rate. I paid $185 a night for this room and it was definitely not worth the money. There was maintenance equipment all over the outside walkway at the lobby which I wish I would have photographed. I work in the hotel industry myself and I will never stay at this hotel again. I would fork out the extra cash and stay at the Fairmont which I believe gives you the true banff experience.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank H F

We are very concerned to hear that you had a poor experience at our hotel. The overall feedback we receive from guests helps us improve for the next guests. We would welcome the opportunity to hear from you directly as we try to address your specific concerns among our own employees. Please accept my sincere apologies for your experience.
Please do not hesitate to contact me with any further comments (1-800-661-1379)

Best regards

Reviewed October 24, 2012

we got a premiere room, with the fireplace. Nice and clean. The pool/hot tub was amazing. Lots of towels! Within walking distance to all the shops and restaurants in Banff. The only bad thing was the restaurant, the buffet had bruised bananas and pineapple....same with the garnishes on the food....wouldn't touch them.

I would stay there again, just not eat at that restaurant.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Joanne G
BanffManagement, Manager at Delta Banff Royal Canadian Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2012

Thank you for your positive review, and for bringing to our attention the issues on our breakfast buffet, Be assured all of your comments were reviewed with our F&B teamand the situation will be improved.

Reviewed October 23, 2012

Beautiful room, quiet and comfortable, great and friendly service, great location directly on Banff Avenue 10 min walk from the town center, close to restaurant, bar and shopping, we hope to be back for another enjoyable week end, thank you for a perfect week end.

Room Tip: We got a room with access to the patio, on the second floor.
1  Thank dianedugas-imagen

Thank you for taking the time to provide such positive feedback. Your review has been shared and is appreciated. We hope you return soon!

Best Regards