WINNER WONDERLAND
Ranked #9 of 32 Hotels in Banff
Canada
“blah”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2009

This isn't a bad hotel - just not great.

positives: location is central with walking distance to everything in town, the room had a balcony, newer furniture, price is very reasonable, the bell boy was nice.

negatives: room was not very clean, the lights buzzed and the light cover held at least 50 dead flies, the balcony (although nice) had no furniture, I could see into other guest rooms from my window and I assume the same for them, there was a large gap between the room door and the floor so I heard everything that went on in the hallway (including my neighbours kids screaming and running up and down the hallway and the cleaning staff vacuuming), big old tube TV' made me feel like I was staying at the motel 6.
A bit annoying also - this hotel is very long and narrow and on my way back I had to walk everyday past my hotel room 300m to the front entrance of the hotel and then spend five minutes winding my way through the hotel to get back to my room.

I have taking many trips to Banff and in truth, this hotel has none of the Banff charm that I have come to expect.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
  • Korean first
victoria bc
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2009

Our visits to the BPL have never disappointed. From dealing with Olga in reservations to Joanne in housekeeping, everything met our expectations. This is the second time we have spent a 50th birthday in Banff and there is no better place to make your home-base.
The rooms are comfortable and the views are excellent. Food and drink rank right up there and the spa is great.
The only thing I would suggest is that if you are on a roadtrip, bring your chairs as there are none on the balconies!
See you next summer!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Carstairs, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2009

Our room was well appointed with a comfortable mattress. The bathroom had granite countertops and a jacuzzi tub (which was heavenly). The rate was very reasonable however, the Wireless Internet was an additional charge as was the parking. It was $20 for both not terrible, but it came as a surprise to me. I liked that the hotel is only a block off of Banff Ave (the main street) and had easy access to everything. I think I would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Calgary
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2009

Stayed there as part of a wedding party. The front desk was rude and completely unhelpful. They screwed up my room reservations, and instead of apologizing for the error, blamed me and lectured me about their cancellation policy. Made me late for the rehearsal dinner. Hotel was clean, and the rest of the staff was friendly, but was disgusted with the front desk. (I had a couple run-ins with them while I was there). Would never stay there again, based solely on the front desk staff/management.

• Stayed July 2009
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
aflierjans, Manager at Banff Park Lodge Resort and Conference Centre, responded to this review, August 6, 2009
It is always easy to hide behind a screen name when you have a complaint, disallowing a solution by the management.

However, we think that we know this person as only one person had an opinion like this two weekends ago with the wedding.

The foul language used by her at the front desk when we informed her that we could NOT give out room numbers of other guest (attending the wedding) for privacy reasons was still ringing in our ears days later.

The bride's mother apologized to us for her language.

And for screwing up the reservation I can only say that we send out e-mail confirmations with all the booking details almost immediately (when provided with an e-mail address) and we did in this case as well.
Nova Scotia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2009

We stayed one night originally but changed that to 3 when we saw the room . The front desk staff were super ! Felix told us the regular rate was $179.00 but would let us have it for $139.That was then lowered to $99.oo when we took 3 nights and also the $8.50 indoor parking fee was waived. Katrin at front desk was also most helpful and these 2 young people will one day make their mark in the accomodation industry. The room was sumptuous, 2 sinks so one could wash hands,etc while the other was using the bathroom. Water pressure was super. There was a coffee maker, hair dryer, clothesline in tub,......Everything you could ask for. The room faced the side street and was so quiet that you'd think you were the only ones there....even though the garage was very full. There was a balcony where one could see the mountains. (rm.228) I would love to stay here again. Downtown was only a minute away, so we didn't need to use the car; walking everywhere. Banff is lovely. We tried many cafes but out favorite became the Wild Flour ; which has organic treats galore .

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Wales
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2009

Stayed at the Banff Park Lodge this week and it was lovely and a great location for the town. The leisure facilities, whilst the gym is small, are great - there is a fab pool, jacuzzi and steam room - perfect after a days skiing to chill out. There is a lovely lounge bar for a few beers in front of a roaring fire or the tv showing all the ice hockey games etc. The restaurant has speciality buffet nights for $26 which are really good value with good food and plenty of choice. Ski buses run regularly from the hotel and are on time. The Hotel has a few shops set into its promenade which cover the majority of basic needs along with some nice gifts.

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Coventry
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2009

Stayed at this hotel on the 14th-21st Jan 2009. Booked through Inghams for a ski holiday. I read the mixed reviews on this site before I left, can I just say that anyone booked in at this hotel should not worry. From the moment we checked in we were made to feel VERY welcome. The room was spotless (room 271) two queen beds, TV, tea and coffee making, bath with shower, 2 sinks, fridge and a free safe, OK maybe the bathroom could do with a re-tile but I'm being really picky now. There is also a balcony with lovely view of the mountains, no chairs but -7 degrees so not wanting to sit out there for long.

The pool area has been refurbished and is very nice a reasonable sized pool a bit on the cold side! But able to swim in. A nice hot jacuzzi, a separate hot plunge pool, steam room and a small gym with a running machine, Free weights dumbbell rack, two exercise bikes and a ski walker. Free towels are supplied and also shampoo and shower gel is supplied in dispensers in the shower. Also free lockers are available.

We used theChinook restaurant for breakfast only. Very nice with a choice of hot or cold buffet for around $17-$18CAD a bit pricey but you can order individual items off the menu such as toast and tea or coffee for around $6CAD ect. Great staff (Kate).

Overall a great stay all the staff were very nice and would do anything to help. Thinking off going back next Jan.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Pool temperature
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family