WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Banff Park Lodge Resort and Conference Centre

Banff Park Lodge Resort and Conference Centre
Ranked #9 of 32 Hotels in Banff
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
“Disappointing in many ways”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2012

On the plus side, the hotel showcases incredible open beam architecture. the staff are pleasant, rooms are spacious, beds are comfortable, every meal was good. Everything is almost good enough to justify the high rates they charge but after such a good start, there are a lot of shortcomings. Tiny CRT TVs with the most basic of channel selections. A $10 daily surcharge for internet that nobody on our conference could believe. Parking charges. Minor items I mentioned to staff last year and in a review a year ago - but no action.

This year, for some reason, I was assigned a wheelchair accessible room (maybe because I drew attention to their shortcomings last year?). This would not have been a major inconvenience but the floor slopes didn't contain the shower water so you end up with water all over the bathroom.

I forgot a couple of items and when I was finally able to contact housekeeping they did agree to send them at my cost (the one other time this happened to me, that hotel was kind enough to send the items back as a courtesy - and I still go back THERE). They were to be shipped Fedex ground (about $12 - which was fine - I agreed to this) but then they were shipped Fedex overnight (about $40) and my card charged accordingly.

I attended the same conference at this hotel a year ago and management has done nothing to address the shortcomings. There are better quality guest experiences available for the price - or more economical choices where you can still enjoy the beauty of Banff.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Hawki56

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
  • Korean first
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2012

It was 27yrs ago that we got married by a JP in the beautiful Banff Springs Hotel. After the ceremony and a dinner with our guests we retired to a Jaccuzi suite at the Banff Park Lodge for our wedding night. Fast forward to 2012, as a surprise for my wife on our 27yr Anniversary I decided to treat her to a night in Banff for a dinner and another night in a Jaccuzi suite in the Banff Park Lodge. Well to our surprise it was like going back in time.....little has changed and the hotel has aged. There have been little or no up dates to the decor or furniture. I was surprised that the TV was still a picture tube type TV, very few channels to choose from ( almost expected to get "The Beach Combers" on one of those few channels). The room itself was clean, except the carpet which needed a good shampooing or replacement. Now the hallways were another story, filthy. Food remnants and dirt everywhere. The staff were pleasant enough and the checkin was painless. Being located in a tourist hub probably does not help because they will probably always be busy and making money and meaningless reviews like this one will make no difference.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank D H
BPLManager, Manager at Banff Park Lodge Resort and Conference Centre, responded to this review, November 25, 2012
Thank you for choosing the Banff Park Lodge for your very special occasion and happy 27th anniversary.

We appreciate you taking the time to post an honest review on Tripadvisor and as it is my responsibility to monitor these reviews I can honestly say that I am checking them on a daily basis and we take all feedback both good and constructive very seriously.

I was very sorry to hear that your experience was not as positive as it was 27 years ago especially under the special circumstances.

Just to clarify for all of the readers, the following updates have been done within the past 5 years;
•A 100% makeover of the 2 restaurants and the swimming pool area
•A 100% makeover of the bathroom in the Jacuzzi suites including granite counter tops and a multi-head walk in shower
•New fridges, beds, bedding, curtains and art work in all of the rooms

In addition to these changes, we are in the process of changing all of the chairs in our rooms this month with tables to follow shortly and I am happy to say that new 42” LCD TV’s have been ordered and we are in discussions with a cable provider for enhanced services.
In the New Year we will also be updating our lobby and public areas with all new furniture, new carpet etc.

Your comments regarding the hallways do concern me and I will be discussing them with our housekeeping and room service departments. There are certain times during the day when the hallways may appear messy especially during times of high volume however these should always be small windows while our cleaning teams are working their way through it.

As you obviously have a sentimental attachment to our hotel, we would love for you to return for future anniversary celebrations, so if you have any further questions or concerns, or would like to make a future booking, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Jim Milley
Operations Manager
Rooms Division
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2012

We went with friends to Banff Park Lodge for a one night getaway on November 11, 2012. Because we checked in early, we went to the lounge to watch a quarter final football game. The bartender was great and the desk staff let us know when our room was ready. The hotel is quite large, but is in desperate need of an upgrade. The colors and furniture are quite outdated and tired looking for a hotel of this calibre. The bathroom/shower area was especially run down and there were water stains on the walls and mildew stains in the tile. We booked into the restaurant for a 5 course dinner with wine pairing. WOW!!! The food was spectacular and the chef came out to chat with us. I can't recommend the restaurant enough.

So, my final opinion? Hotel is great, restaurant is 5 star top notch, rooms are meh...

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank neushan
Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2012

My husband had a conference to attend to, so I decided to tag along. My job allows me to work from pretty much anywhere, so I packed along my work. The hotel was very clean, and staff hospitable. The pool area was amazing, one of the best! The room was big, with plenty of space for me to spread my work around. The location was great too, easy walking distance to shops and restaurants. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Suzanne D
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2012

BPL was a perfect place to stay for a weekend in Banff. Great location and access to restaurants and bars, nice spacious room and good customer service. Pool area looks like it has all been renovated and it was beautiful as well.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank NurseBG
Livingston, LA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed here in Sept of 2012. We loved our stay. The room was very nice and clean. The location was excellent. We were able to walk to all of the local shops. We had a balcony overlooking the front street and mountains. All of the attendants were extremely helpful. I would definitely recommend this hotel and most definitely stay there again. We loved Banff and the whole experience there.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank kk1927
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012

My girlfriend and I totally enjoyed our stay in the Banff Park Lodge (even though we got locked out on the balcony and after yelling for help for 45 minutes the cleaning staff below happened to hear us and came to let us in...must say was starting to get a little scary but it all worked out). The beds and pillows were amazing,the room was very nice and we loved the saunas and pools. Overall, had a very pleasant experience and will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: We stayed in Rm.207 which was on the west side of the hotel facing the river, trees and mtns. Would...