“Trafalgar tour pick”

Ranked #7 of 32 Hotels in Banff
Warren, New Jersey
“Trafalgar tour pick”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2012

This hotel was on the itinerary for a Canadian Rockies tour with Trafalgar. Hotel okay, nothing to write home about. Extremely limited use of the wifi internet (one hour per room per day) and controls for heat/air are controlled by the hotel (you cannot set your own comfortable temperature). I give it a thumbs down.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Magilla59_12

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
  • Korean first
Derby
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel on various ski trips since 2000. We went in Dec 2011 and are returning Dec 2012. The rooms are very comfortable, clean and, have all you need, even a small fridge under the vanity unit. Balcony in all rooms. The breakfast is again, excellent value for money. I have not dined there for evening meals, preferring to take in the delights of Banff. Perfect secure ski equipment storage. The shuttle works like a dream. You are last to be collected and first to be dropped off, that means your skis are on the top and, no time spent doing tour of Banff drop off points! If the head count shows there will not be enough room on the bus, they simply arrange for another bus. Last year I experienced their newly refurshed pool area, lovely. The rooms could possibly do with a little tlc, nothing major. Could do with having free internet or, a much cheaper rate. Location, well couldn't be better, just one block back from the Avenue, so the convenience without the noice! All in all, why stay somewhere much more expensive just for the sake of an updated tv and coat of paint! The hotel staff in my experience over the years, have always been excellent, particularly the front desk and Robin - Concierge is simpy the best! Dining tip, Melissas over the road excellent, alternative on budget, The Spahetti House.

Room Tip: Ask for room with a view
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank Normskidoo
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2012

This hotel is in a fantastic location in the town center, near the Bow River. We were very happy that we could easily walk to all the shops and restaurants. The beds were comfortable, the room was a decent size, and the view from the balcony was nice. We were on the river side of the "Rundle" wing looking at the back of the hotel and the top of Cascade Mountain.

Our main complaints are that they charge $9.50/day for parking and $10/day for VERY SLOW internet. If I'm paying $10/day for internet, it better be blazing fast, especially when most of the surrounding hotels offer complimentary internet access! Getting in and out of the parking garage was difficult because the town was resurfacing the roads. While city construction is not the hotel's fault, you'd think that they would waive the parking fee for the inconvenience.

Overall, a decent place to stay, but do your research on the surrounding hotels to see what amenities are included in the room price.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Piriya M
British Columbia, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2012

Very nice hotel and it's all about location, location, location. Have stayed here several times and we all love it, adults and kids. Nice pool. It is our #1 pick in Banff because we can walk to all the great shops and restaurants on Banff Avenue. Free parking is appreciated, need a car to get out and see all the beautiful natural scenery and wildlife. Not the newest in Banff but definitely our favourite and we'll be back again and again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Patricia S
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2012

I booked a king-bed and jacuzzi room at this hotel for our anniversary. I admit, upon walking into the room, it was not what I had expected. The room was not as nice looking as the photo and seemed very dated. The tv was old and small, and the jacuzzi looked smaller than the room I saw online. I tried to see if there was a room we could upgrade to but the hotel was full. Fair enough. I was also told they're going to upgrade the tv's, which is good news for future guests. However, I felt like my romantic getaway was not turning out as I wished and was disappointed. But to the hotel's credit, when I booked the room, I mentioned wanting to order a bottle of champagne and found it waiting for us. That made me feel a bit better. And the shower was quite nice, very modern with lots of jets. Overall, the room was ok, but nothing special.

One issue I did have was that we called the front desk to order a taxi. They confirmed the room number so I thought they would call upon the taxi's arrival. Wrong. We waited and waited and finally went to the lobby. I asked if there was a taxi for us and the front desk staff said if we're not here when it arrives, it leaves pretty quickly. I asked if they typically let the guest know when a taxi has arrived and the staff didn't seem to understand my question. She kept saying if we're not there on time, the taxi leaves. I would suggest that if a guest orders a taxi from the room, please let them know to wait in the lobby instead of expecting a call. I tried to bring this up to the front desk staff and felt like she was not listening and insisting it was our fault for being late. Granted, we came down late since we were waiting to be notified. But as a guest, I didn't appreciate her attitude and unwillingness to listen or be helpful. I would like to feel that the staff cares about its patrons and that's definitely not the service we received.

Overall, the stay was ok but I would not recommend this place for a romantic getaway.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank exzhang
India
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2012

parking 9$ per day
internet 10$ for 24 hours
breakfast not included.

on top of this front desk very rude. Check in person told me our room was next to elevator exit so we will not have much walk with luggage. But when I parked car and went up on the floor, it turns out our room was the last room in the aisle and very far away from Elevator. The front desk person does not seem to know their own hotel/room layout. When I told front desk our room was too far they told me it was my misunderstanding and they never told me that my room was next to elevator. finally they changed our room but that was again after more arguments. I don't know if front-desk staff knows what "customer Service" means.

I just wish i had stayed at some other place after such a experience with front desk staff.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank ViralShah
Saffron Walden, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2012

Stayed for 3 nights and found hotel in ideal location for the sights of Banff. Room very comfortable and well appointed and a good size. You can also eat for a reasonable price in the restaurant. Underground parking useful and convenient,

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple