“Nice place”

Ranked #6 of 32 Hotels in Banff
Fort Worth
“Nice place”
Reviewed August 24, 2010

We stayed here for 2 nights. We had a second floor room facing the street. The balcony was a nice size and was great for enjoying the cool evenings and watching the world go by. The hot tubs were great, especially the fireplace. Breakfast was included each morning. We did appreciate having the fan in the room to keep the air moving since there was no a/c in the rooms. It was in a great location with an easy walk to restaurants and shopping.

Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank the2Dacys

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Albany, California
Reviewed August 20, 2010

My room was clean, spacious and cheerful, and Internet was free. Breakfast was humble but fine. I got a package that included a night's stay, a ride up the gondola and a soak in the hot springs, all for less than the normal nightly price. The one drawback was the the views were not what I expected. If I stood on my deck and looked up and to the right, I could see a mountain, but I'd thought I was getting a panoramic view. But that was no big deal. Another downside is that I could occasionally hear water draining from a room above, but it was minor. The biggest plus was that the front desk people were extremely helpful and friendly, from sorting out internet problems to calling the hotel in my next destination to help me work out a booking problem. I would definitely stay here again. It's not five-star luxury, but was more than satisfactory for the price.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank matesol
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 13, 2010

Best inclusive breakfast in town. Friendly staff quiet clean comfortable and at a reduced midweek rate who could ask for more.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank peterutherford
Reviewed August 12, 2010

I must have gotten a newly renovated room as it was a beautiful, modern looking room and I had two sliding glass doors. It was terrific. Those doors came in handy at night because the hotel does not have air conditioning and I needed to cool down the room before I sent to sleep. It just happened that it was a really hot day, my first night here. The mountain air at night helped cool my room but I wasn't comfortable sleeping with my patio doors open so keep that in mind. My room had a small fan that I used at night which was somewhat helpful. The outdoor hot tub is great! Take advantage of it. Although this hotel has about 10-15 parking spots underground and maybe another 20 spots in the back, I still had to look for street parking as I checked in after 8:30pm. After a long day that's not what I wanted to do but I was blessed with a parking spot across the street from the hotel. Just keep that in mind. The front desk is very helpful about identifying parking options. A great location as well - only a few blocks to all the shopping and dining in downtown Banff and safe to walk to/from. Beds were really comfy as well! Enjoy your stay!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank GuidedbyGrace
BanffAspen, Manager at Banff Aspen Lodge, responded to this review, August 13, 2010
Thank you for your note and I’m glad to hear that you enjoyed your newly renovated guestroom; all rooms will be renovated by the end of this year! The hotel features two outdoor hot tubs with an outdoor fireplace; they are an incredible way to relax after spending a day exploring the Canadian Rockies. Parking is included in our room rates and is subject on availability. It’s great to hear how helpful our Front Desk Staff were to assist you in finding alternative parking.
Hope to see you on your next visit to Banff~
Portland, OR
Reviewed August 10, 2010

As the title says, great hotel all around. Very well located minutes (walking) from downtown, room was in excellent condition and seemed to have been recently updated. Overall good size hotel, nice interior design, and great hot tubs (one with fireplace) in center courtyard. We've stayed at other hotels in Banff, and at this price point this is a wonderful option. We will stay here again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank PierreCJ
So glad to hear that you enjoyed your time at the BanffAspen; hope to see you again sometime soon!
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 9, 2010

The hotel is a bit dated, but the room is very clean. We are very nicely surprised that the room is kind of separated by the washroom and double-sink in the middle. This made two couples much less awkward. The hot tubs are nice but can be crowded sometimes. Not super close to the town center center, but quite good already. We would definitely stay again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank jackiezzzzzzz
Thanks for your feedback on the Banff Aspen Lodge. The hotel is located two blocks from downtown Banff; only a three minute stroll. Currently 2/3’s of the hotel’s guestrooms have been newly renovated and by December 31, 2010 all 89 guestrooms at the hotel will be complete; receiving new carpet, wallpaper, lighting, curtains and bedding. I’m glad you enjoyed our Premium divided room; we also have divided rooms with three beds (two singles and one queen) which is great for families! I look forward to having you stay with us sometime soon.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed August 6, 2010

If you are into very noisy street-side accommodations and lousy service from the breakfast room this is the place for you. When we made our reservations we were told we would have a room on the backside (mountain view). When we arrived the backside room was not available. Instead we were assigned a newly refurbished "premium" room on the second floor with a stunning view of the bus stop. The room did not have A/C as nighttime temperatures cool down considerably and you can open a window or door to the balcony to get some natural air conditioning. With the door open you get all the noise of the vehicles stopping and starting all night. Close the door you get no air but less noise. Close the curtains for privacy and, again you get no air flow but all the noise. People, including of drunks, having a good time late into the night kept us awake as well on the first night. On the second night there were no drunks but a group of early departing hotel guests woke us up very early with non-stop chatter echoing off of the building unitl someone from the front desk got them moved across the street but it made little difference.

The hotel provides a free breakfast for each guest which requires a ticket. As an early riser I nornally have a cup of coffee and read the paper until my wife is up and ready for breakfast. I went down to the eating area and asked for just a cup of coffee. To get it I had to turn in my ticket for breakfast. I was told that I could not come down later with my wife and have breakfast. without the ticket. I was told that if I wanted coffee then I could go back to my room and make it using the packet of the lousy instant coffee in the room. Most hotels today, that I am aware of, offer fresh coffee in the lobby area. Given the cost of the room at this hotel I would have expected the same kind of service but that was not to be. How chinzy can you get? Fortunately there was a Starbucks about 2 blocks away. As for the breakfast that was available, it was very average at best.

In the morning, when I was checking out, the gentleman ahead of me was complaining about the noisy room and asking to be moved. He looked like he had not slept much as he had been on the front side of the hotel the night before. This hotel would be well served with individual A/Cs for all the front side rooms so that the door or windows could be kept closed at night.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank thehillfamiyx2
Thank you for your review and I hope you enjoyed your time in Banff National Park. We appreciate your comments as it is the feedback from our guests that enables us to improve the quality of our hotel. Please note that 75% of Banff hotels are not air-conditioned due to the extremely short summer season in Banff. The Town of Banff is regulated and patrolled by the local police authority. They do their absolute best to keep the noise levels to a minimal throughout town.
We apologize for not fulfilling your coffee request. Coffee and tea making facilities are provided in the guestrooms to accommodate personal needs. Your request of a Mountain View room was met. The room you stayed in (facing street side) has a stunning view of Rundle Mountain and Sulphur Mountain. The views from the rooms on the backside of the hotel are obscured by trees.
Again, your comments are valued as we strive to meet our guests need while staying in Banff~