1,713 results
All reviewsgranolahot tubeconomy roompremium roombreakfast staffbreakfast was includedbreakfast roomthe main streetshops and restaurantstwo sinksthird floorsteam roomstreet noisewould definitely stay here againunderground parkingwithin easy walking distancestayed here for nights
Reviewed October 26, 2009

Lobby and breakfast area were newly renovated. The rooms were clean and quiet. Good value for the money. We booked a package for the room and tickets to the Hot Spring. Continental breakfast was included.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank jmolintas
Reviewed October 16, 2009

I stayed 3 days with my husband for Thanksgiving weekend, booking online thru Expedia/AMA and driving 1.5hr over from Calgary. Overall, I was impressed by the hotel staff, amenities (pool, steam, sauna, underground parking, and breakfast) and location, considering the low price.

It was unexpectedly colder for the weekend, so we were thankful it was only 2 blocks away from downtown main thoroughfare. 15-20 underground parking spots, though above ground parking was very close to entrance. Great Breakfast: drink orders (coffee, tea, juice) were taken by warm and friendly wait staff and brought to the table; serve-yourself fresh assortment of breads, pastries and cereal/muesli mix/ fruit salad mix with yogurt and milk. We stayed in a corner room which had ample space, side table, balcony and had the hairdryer, ironing supplies, fridge, coffee maker and what I especially liked, a separate water kettle (useful to make non-coffee flavored tea!). Beds were ok, and the furnace could be a bit loud, but it was no problem keeping the room nice and toasty. Contrary to other reviews, I didn’t find anything bad about the room cleanliness, but we opted to keep the ‘Do not Disturb’ sign out all the time so it felt like home (not that hard to make the bed). Their bath amenities are all eco-friendly/all-natural, but I liked my own brand-shampoo instead.

I loved the hot tubs, steam and sauna room, which were so convenient to get to, and rarely that busy (Open 9am – 10pm). I had planned on going to the Banff Upper Hot Springs, but going between the hotel pool and hotel room was so much easier. You might want to bring your own robe and sandals for convenience, though they offer poolside towels.

In Banff we visited the shops and ate at 3 great places: 1) Barpa Bill’s Souvlaki (earned lots of top local and Calgary reviews) for their donair, souvlaki, lamb and barpa burger (with tatziki sauce instead!). Fries were plenty tasty too and price is definitely affordable ($7-8) for most dishes. 2) The Bison– highly rated gourmet restaurant, with a tasty brunch selection for under $20 (lots of local / fresh ingredients, especially liked the salmon/double cream brie benedict!). The Aspen Lodge blog had recommended it and I look forward to visiting again. Both are located on Bear Street, one street west of Banff Ave (beside the free 3 hr parking lot). 3) Old Spaghetti Factory – can’t go wrong with their all-inclusive soup/salad, pasta, ice cream, and coffee/tea meals.

We stayed in Banff to relax and enjoy the ambiance, and visited the touristy sights (bow falls, cave/basin, upper hot springs, Fairmont hotel) which were all within a 10-15 min away from the hotel. We would definitely consider coming back here again.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank madsab
Reviewed October 8, 2009

Clean, decent size rooms with outside porches. Great continental breakfast. Short walk to downtown. A bargain compared to other Banff hotels.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Wisconsin68
Reviewed October 5, 2009

After more than 14 hours and thousands of miles traveling, I walked into the lobby of the casual but homey Aspen Lodge and was greeted with a smile and very friendly hello from Amanda at the front desk. (Like many of the workers in town, she had an Aussie accent, and since I'm a sucker for a Down Under accent, she had me at hello....) Check-in was easy, and the walk from the free parking garage to the elevator was extremely short. I then went up to my room .... All right, I'll give you the bad stuff first, but do read all the way through to get all the good and the bad.

I had a reserved a premium queen/king, which thanks to the Frugal Days sale advertised on the hotel's website, I was able to get for cheaper than the middle-tier deluxe room. (Booking was easy and when you select your days, all of the sale options are displayed, so no need to hunt around. Kudos for that.) In general, the room was dated - popcorn ceilings (drop ceiling at the foyer), a stained wall-to-wall carpet (except for tile in the foyer and bath), and a bedspread that looked older than the desk staff downstairs... On the other hand, the room was light in daytime, very spacious, and had a comfy, homey feel; basically a causal lodge-type setting. And besides, I only spent time in my room to sleep....

However, when I picked up the phone to make a call, I found earwax on the receiver. There was also a long, dark strand of hair on the bed, under the pillow. And a pair of bathing shorts from the prior guest on the balcony railing. Plus a couple of plastic bags lying about. Some of these are minor infractions, but the wax, the hair, etc., gave me the impression that perhaps this room hadn't been cleaned very thoroughly. . . My first morning I handed a comment card to a young man at the front desk, noting the ear wax and hair, and as I walked away he read it and agreed aloud that yes, that was disgusting. I was therefore surprised that management Never contacted me about the situation, to apologize and assure me the room would be cleaned better. Indeed, while checking out several days later I gave a run-down to the manager, who took notes and nodded but didn't say a word to me. So, no 5 stars, and only 2 for cleanliness.

That being said, the room had a balcony with a nice view of the surrounding mountains (my view was somewhat obstructed by the tree right in front of my balcony, but that also provided more privacy, so no complaints). Thankfully the room comes with near-blackout shades, as well, although why hotels in Banff don't have A/C is beyond me. Just leave the curtains closed and the window open, and you should be fine. The room could, however, use more light -- at night it was a bit dim.

The hotel makes a noticeable effort to be environmentally responsible, which is appreciated (required?). I didn't use the outdoor hot tubs -- enjoyed the hot springs in town, instead -- but other guests seemed to enjoy them. Breakfast is as others described it (vouchers, continental but ample supplies with fresh baked goodies and a friendly wait staff). And, of course, it's free, which is hard to beat.

The location of the hotel was amazing -- literally a few blocks from the heart of downtown. There's a Safeway I think two blocks down, towards town center, and a fridge in the room where I kept juice, water, etc. That block begins the main stretch of Banff Ave, where many of the stores/restaurants/etc. are located. Downtown Banff is small and very walkable; and the cars actually stop for pedestrians at crosswalks in the middle of the block! Parking can be difficult, but there's several lots on side streets -- and some good finds on the side streets, including Melissa's and Nesters, both mentioned in reviews, and the movie theater (whose screens were surprisingly big, and the films were current releases). They only play at night, except on weekends.

Back to the Lodge. Aussie Amanda was very helpful with dinning suggestions (we both recommend the sweet potato fries at the Elk and Oarsman) and activity assistance. Indeed, Amanda learned my name and called me by my first name every time I saw her -- which made for a much more friendly, personal and pleasant hotel experience than the staid and formal (and not particularly genuine) "hello Mr. so-and-so" that one usually gets, and that I got at the Fairmont later that week.

All in all, the place is in a great location, mostly charming rooms, with a genuinely nice, friendly and helpful staff that I think more than makes up for the dated furnishings. A great value for the money. I would stay there again ... as long as they double-checked the cleaning first!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank SirBowen24
BanffAspen, General Manager at Banff Aspen Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2009

Thank you for your review and I’m so glad that you enjoyed your time in the town of Banff. The Banff Aspen Lodge has just started a two-year guestroom renovation project. 22 guestrooms will be totally renovated this fall, with the remaining rooms being completed by December 31, 2010. As well, all guestrooms have recently received new TV’s, mattresses, armoires and dressers.

The Banff Aspen Lodge addressed all deficiencies that you experienced at the hotel and apologize that a manager did not contact you directly during your stay. Please feel free to contact me to discuss anything further at gm@banffaspenlodge.com

We hope to have you stay with us again ~
Barbara

Reviewed September 30, 2009

The hotel location is convenient to downtown, and we enjoyed the outdoor hot tubs. The best part was a friendly staff. Amanda, in particular, went out of her way to help us more than once, and always with a sincere smile. We would definitely come back.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple