5,742 results
All reviewshot springsprimrose restaurantlarkspur loungeprimrose dining roombanff gondolarim rocksulphur mountainpremium roombeautiful hotelspectacular viewsself parkingfree shuttlebow valleycanadian rockiespool and hot tublake louiseeden
Reviewed August 18, 2007

My husband and I traveled to Banff to celebrate our 15 yr anniversary (without the kids!). What a terrific time!

We booked through Travelocity and got a 20% discount for staying 7 days - less than $300 per night. What a deal! We had room #949 with a beautiful view of the mountains. The room was more than adequate with a king size bed, computer table & chair, two fluffy chairs with ottoman, great closet space, and a nice bathroom. Coffee maker, fridge, and blowdryer supplied, as well.

The room was usually not cleaned until later in the day (if you chose to sleep in past 8am), but also has a turn-down service in the evening complete with chocolates on the pillow! The room was always maintained wonderfully. However, our "take and be charged" room snacks were never charged to our room - and never re-stocked during our week long stay, either. Oh well - I don't think that's really a complaint from me!

You do have to pay $10 per night to park - ample spots to chose from at all hours of the day & night. I didn't have an issue with that.

You also have to pay for internet - a total ripoff if you ask me! They should just build this into their price and be done with it! Our internet was turned-off after 5 days - and we had to ask to pay for the additional 2 days of our stay - a slight pain. Then - we were told to pay MORE to access the business center in order to print our flight details. I rose a slight stink and they offered to let us use it "on the house." For an elegant hotel - this should all be included... even the dungiest of motels have free internet access these days!

We ate at the Primrose the first evening, as we got in late. Great food, great service, and not a bad price. We attempted to have breakfast (buffet) there a few days later - and WAITED FOREVER as the waitress stated she was just setting up a few tables first. Unfortunately - there were about 5-6 tables ready & waiting for the four families waiting and waiting and waiting. We left and took the bus (free) downtown.. We sat FOREVER in the lobby twice to get drinks & food at the Larkspur, and were NEVER WAITED ON! We left and took the bus downtown again. We never ate at the Eden. However, we ate at Diva's (piano lounge) and had GREAT service the the food was priced perfectly! No complaints - my husband really enjoyed their version of the bloody mary (the Caesar).

The concierge(s) were pleasant and helpful. The front door (wo)men were helpful, as well - and very eager to chat.

There is a free public bus (the #3) that takes you directly from the hotel to downtown. We did that daily. It runs every half-hour. The morning bus driver is a friendly older gentleman who does not take any tips. The afternoon/evening driver is insane and moody. An interesting soul, in my opinion.

We ate at Bruno's every morning for breakfast. Great specials (sometimes they make it up as they go), great service, great food, at TERRIFIC prices! It's right next to where the bus drops you off downtown.

We ate at The Bison (twice - so wonderful!); Rose & Crown (not bad); Tommy's Neighbourhood Pub (great!); Elk & Oarsman (just so-so); and the Natur'el Tea Room (GREAT tea and desserts).

We rented a car, so were able to travel everywhere: Lake Louise, Moraine Lake, Jasper, Columbia Icefields, Lake Minnewanka, Banff Springs Golf Course, Canmore, and Calgary. We also took the Banff Gondola (superb!), and walked endlessly around town and to the gardens at the town centre (beautiful!).

The downtown area is going to a $32 million renewal - so there is a lot of construction on Banff Avenue. It's not so difficult to navigate around down - and is has minimized the crowds. They expect this to be done by this fall/winter.

All in all - a wonderful time - you can 't beat the scenery and the people in Banff!

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MicheleA
Reviewed August 10, 2007

Just returned from our trip to Banff and thought I would share my thoughts on my stay at the Rimrock hotel. We booked a mountain view on the top floor – this was a deluxe room. Immediately I found the staff friendly and helpful and was pleased with the curbside service with our luggage and check in was effortless. Parking at $10 a night was fine, never had to look too hard for a parking place, (though the parking stalls are a bit cramped). On arrival at my room I was somewhat disappointed, the room was fairly small, decorated or furnished in a manner that did not match the price of the room. The very small television looked like it was from the 1980s I assume (not important to me but of some importance to my son). The room itself was large enough to hold two queens and a couple chairs but nothing else, fine for sleeping but not really good for just relaxing. The staff was great; every request was met with a smile and efficiency – especially the housekeeping staff. The restaurant (Edge) is fabulous and rates a separate review. I needed internet service and the $15 a day fee was a bit steep. In summary – the price we paid was basically for the view and the service…period. We loved Banff – it was an awesome vacation and we will return. I am thinking I’ll try the Fox next time and come up to the Rimrock to eat at the Edge.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank markhs
Reviewed August 6, 2007

It had been over a quarter-century since I had been to Banff...and I wanted to bring my wife to see this extraordinary part of the world. I knew that the Fairmonts (both at Banff and at Lake Louise) were very popular with tourists (especially day trippers, overrunning the properties during daytime), so I looked for something similarly elegant, but less over-run. Thus, after research, the Rimrock was chosen for our four-night sojourn. Perched on the side of a mountain overlooking Banff valley, with the distinctive, dramatic eastern Banff mountains viewable down the valley (from the premium room we reserved), this was, indeed, a beautiful...and "off-the-beaten-day-tripper path" location. The facility is very large, especially in height, with over 15 stories of rooms in a large V-shaped building, with premium rooms facing down the dramatic valley and less-than-premium rooms looking up at the mountain(s) into which the Rimrock was carved. At C$560+ per night for the room we reserved (but, disclaimer, by booking through a Banff Hotels site, we were able to get that rate down to under C$400 per night), I/we expected something rather extraordinary (the rooms run from the C$400s to over C$1200 per night)...Unfortunately, they fell far short. The "Premium" room was rather small, with dated furniture and an OK but unimpressive bath. No balcony, marginally opening windows. The view was lovely...no doubt. In addition, the Hotel/resort charged extra for parking (C$10 per night...out in the puckerbrush in a nondescript concrete garage) and for internet connection (C$13.95 per day). In our minds, this is excessive - when a "basic" room charge starts at over C$400, and the place claims to be a "Resort," virtually all should be included (but, not, for sure, food, drink and other "variable" consumption items). Service was OK - not "over-the-top" as we've experienced at the Four Seasons, the Fairmont, JW Marriot and others of like ilk at which we've stayed...and which service we'd expect at such as the Rimrock, which ballyhoos itself as a Four-Diamond lodging. Bottom line: We'd avoid staying there again - unless major changes were implemented and patrons and service to patrons were more in the forefront of the Rimrock management's mind.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Windsigh
Reviewed August 6, 2007

My husband and I spent the first 9 days of our Honeymoon in this fantastic hotel. We felt utterly spoilt! We were upgraded to a room with an unspoilt view of the Bow Valley. Friendly service and very helpful concierge, brilliant bars, not to mention the wonderful food! We highly recommend that you spoil yourselves with a trip to Eden, the 5 diamond restaurant at the resort. We went twice in the time we were there - outstanding! (Try the wine paring option for an unforgettable meal).

This is the best you can get - forget the fairmont - so impersonal.

Mrs B

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank browney3
Reviewed August 5, 2007

If you're looking for luxury at an affordable price, Rimrock Resort Hotel is the way to go! Fabulous view of the mountains, great service, walking distance to the Hot Springs, and Gondola. The hotel provided free shuttle transportation daily to town and back every half hour until midnight. Quite convenient since there was major construction downtown Banff. Considering our rate was $500 less than the offered rate at the "castle", it was absolutely worth it! I highly recommend!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family