“Save your money and have a nicer time at Brewster's in Banff instead”

Rimrock Resort Hotel
Ranked #3 of 32 Hotels in Banff
Coventry
“Save your money and have a nicer time at Brewster's in Banff instead”
Reviewed June 16, 2010

We stayed here for one night at the end of an excellent holiday at the Three Bars Ranch in Cranbrook, before flying back to the UK. We paid £280 (offer price) for a Grand View room. Make no mistake, you are paying for the grand view and nothing else. We had spent the first night of our holiday in a loft suite at Brewster's mountain lodge in Banff. The room at Brewster's was fabulous, very spacious - on two tiers with a big outside balcony overlooking the mountains, had a big whirlpool bath and was in the middle of Banff itself which meant we could explore. Ok, the hotel isn't on the same level, luxury-wise but it was still very pretty, the staff were very friendly and at £118, it was much cheaper, much more convenient for Banff and we had a lovely continental breakfast included. At Rimrock three beers cost us $26, breakfast was extra and the room was nothing special. The view was very grand though! (And very expensive!). We intend to return to Banff as soon as possible and will stay at Brewster's again. Rimrock? Well, we can see the mountains for free from outside so we'll give it a miss.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mrsbeebee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (902)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Derby
Reviewed June 15, 2010

Having stayed at the Rimrock previously, my fiancee and I decided to book in at the hotel again during our recent visit to Banff, in spite of some of the less than flattering reviews which have appeared on this site.

To our delight the Rimrock was just as good as when we stayed before. All staff were courteous, efficient and welcoming. Both ours and my parents rooms were spacious, light, well furnished and equipped, spotlessly clean and commandeered magnificent views which were breathtaking.

Although we didn't eat in the hotel due to us having prior engagements in Banff, we had drinks in the Divas Bar and were served by friendly staff and enjoyed the ambience of this great venue.

We also took advantage of the free shuttle bus for a return journey into Banff town centre, which meant that everyone could enjoy a drink out without having to worry about driving back to the hotel.

Our overall experience of the Rimrock was fantastic and I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone wanting luxury accommodation in Banff without having to pay Fairmont prices. We will definitely be returning!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank GagaGirlDerby
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed June 11, 2010

Great hotel - we had a beautiful view - only wish they had robes. On other concern was we saw the maid leave our room upon returning - 15 mintues later we heard a light knock....seconds later an asian man entered to say he was there to inspect the room....not sure if that was standard, but we ensured to add the "do not disturb" sign the following day.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank supportautism
Leeds
Reviewed May 31, 2010

We stayed at the Rimrock for 3 nights in early May. Based on previous reviews on Trip Advisor, when we booked, we specifically requested a deluxe room with a mountain view. We were not disappointed with the room. We were on the top floor and the view was stunning.

When we arrived to check in, we were informed that car parking was $25 per night for valet service, or $15 per night without. We opted for the cheaper option, due to us staying 3 nights. From the car park, you can easily access the hotel. I was disappointed to see that there was a charge for parking, because unless you are on coach tour, or want to pay for taxis the hotel is a drive out of town.

The room was fantastic and had a lot of space. Our room had 2 queen size beds, which were extremely comfortable. The bathroom was of a good size and there was also a safe in the room. Even though the hotel is large, it was very quiet, which made our stay feel peaceful and relaxing.

We did not eat at the hotel. We did make use of the fitness area, swimming pool and whirlpool (all of which are free to guests of the hotel).

I would have been hesitant to book this hotel without a car, due to it being 3.5km away from Banff townsite.

The hotel is pricier than other hotels in Banff, but was worth the splurge for the location and the views.

Whilst in Banff we ate out at Saltlik Restaurant, where the food was excellent and the wine list extensive.

2 Thank NinaandBen
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed May 30, 2010

Rooms have been renovated, however not a lot was spent upgrading them. Lounge, bars and restaurants are all 4+ star. Great views from our room. We stayed in a Premium Guest Room which had two nice leather chairs and a great balcony with cedar deck chairs. We had to call to room service as no face cloths were in our bath. They never did deliver them! This amazed me as something I wouldn't have expected in this class of hotel. I still like this hotel better than the Fairmont. One nice add since the last time we visited; free bus service from the hotel to downtown. The service was just as quick as a taxi

1 Thank Hillhurst
Kelowna
Reviewed May 25, 2010

A wonderful hotel and our long weekend romantic getaway was in the perfect location. Will definitely be going back.

Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed May 22, 2010

My two sisters flew in from Ontario to Edmonton for a sisters reunion. I thought I would treat them to a very nice stay at the Rimrock Resort in Banff. When I walked into the room I was very disappointed-nothing was special. I thought I walked into a $89.00 room. I had paid for the third person but had to call housekeeping for more towels, glasses etc. The view was looking at the side of Rundle mountain…no view of any other scenery, just trees on the side of the mountain. I even upgraded us to a Deluxe Room assuming that we would have nice linens, comfortable bed and yes a better view. I assumed, never assume, the bed at a five star resort would be comfortable. My sister woke up the next day with a sort back and we agreed we had terrible sleeps. I really wanted this stay to be special for us since it's been 15 years of us on our own-no other family. I wanted to apologize to them for the terrible room.
The one good thing is that it was quiet, never heard another person and that was nice.
I could not recommend this hotel and I left very disappointed in my stay at the Rimrock Resort.

• Stayed May 2010