“great views, lousy management”

Rimrock Resort Hotel
Ranked #3 of 32 Hotels in Banff
Alberta
“great views, lousy management”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2006

Its been over a month since our weekend getaway to Banff. It was an unforgettable experience in a way, not in the way that we imagined and hoped for however. Let me say that the views are unparalleled. We booked a premium room, with breathtaking views and shoddy interiors. The owner/general manager obviously does not care about the upkeep of his/her hotel.
What was most upsetting however was the level of service (dis-service) we received. Not to generalize but the frontline staff especially at the reception are much better trained, more courteous and overall much more professional than the manager. I don't know if the individual was a manager or someone who "calls himself" a manager. Firstly, nobody seemed to know exactly when he was to come into work (???). I was finally given a time for his arrival after much coaxing to be 3 pm. However, he did not arrive until 4 pm. No effort was made towards contacting me asap. I ended up approaching the desk for the umpteenth time at 4:25pm, upon which he rather grudgingly pretended to "assist" me.

Let me say-all I was upset about was that my room was not ready until 5 pm although they promise 3. Given that we have 2 toddlers, it was all the more harrowing. i understand that hotels tend to be busy on a Friday, but after 2 hours, no acknowledgement for the inconvenience. Luckily the manager did us a favor by seeing us. No apologies, just a curt "I know that you were looking for me sir, I was going to contact you at a less busy time" (???).

I asked him how long he had been with the hotel and in this line of work. He proudly claimed- more than 5 years. With individuals such as that in your "arsenal" its hard to see the Rim Rock maintain its star rating.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
7 Thank fs2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (894)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2006

Really enjoyed my 2 night stay here.
Location - not a walk into town but the free shuttle makes up for that. Hotel is built into the side of a hill with amazing views over a mountain covered in trees.
Service - excellent. I was upgraded to a better room even though I did not book direct.
Restaurant - very good, a little expensive but what you'd expect from a good hotel.
Room - very very good, very clean and well serviced. Again the view was phenominal. Good bathroom with nice Aveda products. Very big too - I met guests staying at the Fairmont who complained about the size of the their rooms which are apparently much smaller.
I'd also highly recommend booking tours with Discover Banff who were exceptionally good and use small vehicles with lots of windows.

• Stayed September 2006, traveled solo
2 Thank _________________
orange ct
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2006

We flew to Calgery and hopped into our car rental and dashed to Banf to stay at Rimrock. The place is a gem, away from the crouds. It is lovely, the rooms need a bit updating and the baths could use some work. However, the view and relaxation that it offered was wonderful. We would stay there again in a flash.

• Liked — Located away from the crouds and a great view
  • Disliked — expensive and needed some updating
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sue2sons
London,England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2006

If you are looking for a luxury ski hotel then this is your place. We stayed here in March and throughly enjoyed our stay.

The room had two Queen sized beds and furnished to a high standard.

The breakfast in the morning set us up perfectly for our ski day. The staff knew exactly which mountain to visit and where the best snow was. At the end of breakfast any left over coffee was put into take away beakers, perfect for our journey to the slopes.

The gym/pool/spa also comes highly recommended. The pool was open at 0600 hours which is handy when you wake up early due to jet lag!!! (If travelling west!)

We had a car so getting into the town and to the slopes was easy. The concierge delivered our skis to our car each day as well.

Banff is a great little town and the Rimrock just enhances your visit!! looking forward to going back next year.

• Stayed March 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank PoppyTT
Luton, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2006

Bit suprised about some of the previous negetative reviews as this was our favourite Hotel of our 2 week trip across the Rockies.

The check in process was very smooth and the staff very helpful.

We were allocated a room on the top floor and as the room was on the corner we had two windows, both of which gave absolutely stunning views of the Rockies.

Room was massive with very comfortable beds and a good sized bathroom. Also table and 2 chairs in the room.

The hotel is located a little way from the main high street, but this does add to the charm of the hotel as it is located in the mountains, and as the Larkspur Lounge offered us nice food this wasn't a problem when dinning in the evening. The Larkspur lounge was very well designed with a roaring log fire and comfy chairs. The service here was also excellent.

The excellent service continued at breakfast. There was a good choice at reasonable prices (compared to the other North American hotels we have stayed at).

Would very much recommend a stay at this hotel when visiting Banff.

• Liked — Stunning views and excellent service
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Cladrian
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2006

My wife and I stayed at the Rimrock for two nights in late August during our honeymoon. We arrived at 4pm and were told by the front desk that the room was not yet ready. They gave us two free drinks in the Larkspur Bar by the lobby while we waited. (FYI: They put pickled asparagus in their bloody marys. I was a fan. My wife was not.)

The deluxe room had a king size bed with two chairs and a writing desk. In all, the room was fairly standard, but the view was absolutely incredible. What really set this hotel apart from the hotels in town are its service, location, and unobstructed views of the surrounding mountains.

Our second night there we ate at Eden, the hotel's 5-diamond restaurant. Excellent food and great wine!! Very expensive, but this restaurant should not be missed if at all possible. It was the best meal that I have had in my entire life.

Room service was great, delivered a tasty breakfast right on time.

Highly recommended. We will definitely stay here again.

Stayed August 2006
5 Thank mb1993
new york, ny
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2006

Got a great rate for August (through the hotel). This hotel is up Sulphur mountain, so a bit away from the crowds in the Banff village, which makes is great b/c it makes it feel more like a secluded mountain resort (I also picked it because it has a/c, unlike many of the other hotels in the area). To be honest, the rooms were pretty average (I guess I expected more from a "leading hotel of the world") but the location and amenities were excellent (including a fridge in the room and really nice views, even for the "low-rate" rooms). The service throughout was also excellent, including the front desk, concierge and housekeeping. We also asked for robes (they are available upon request). The pool area is nice, and we heard the spa was great. We did not get turndown service like some other rooms but when I mentioned it they added this service for our room. We didn't eat at the hotel but can recommend the Maple Leaf and the Bison in Banff very highly (and do not recommend Wild Bills for dinner). Temperature regulation was a bit problematic (we never quite figured it out), but we would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone travelling to Banff (and I am very picky). If you stay here, it is much easier to have a car.

• Liked — location, lobby, fridge in room, helpful staff, cheap internet access in lobby
  • Disliked — room could use updating
  • Tips/Secrets — best rate was through hotel directly, need a car, go to Mistaya canyon on Icefields parkway, eat at the bison during happy hour
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank otraveler