5,733 results
All reviewshot springsprimrose restaurantlarkspur loungeprimrose dining roombanff gondolarim rocksulphur mountainbeautiful hotelpremium roomspectacular viewsself parkingfree shuttlebow valleycanadian rockiespool and hot tublake louiseeden
Reviewed September 16, 2006

Bit suprised about some of the previous negetative reviews as this was our favourite Hotel of our 2 week trip across the Rockies.

The check in process was very smooth and the staff very helpful.

We were allocated a room on the top floor and as the room was on the corner we had two windows, both of which gave absolutely stunning views of the Rockies.

Room was massive with very comfortable beds and a good sized bathroom. Also table and 2 chairs in the room.

The hotel is located a little way from the main high street, but this does add to the charm of the hotel as it is located in the mountains, and as the Larkspur Lounge offered us nice food this wasn't a problem when dinning in the evening. The Larkspur lounge was very well designed with a roaring log fire and comfy chairs. The service here was also excellent.

The excellent service continued at breakfast. There was a good choice at reasonable prices (compared to the other North American hotels we have stayed at).

Would very much recommend a stay at this hotel when visiting Banff.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Cladrian
Reviewed August 28, 2006

My wife and I stayed at the Rimrock for two nights in late August during our honeymoon. We arrived at 4pm and were told by the front desk that the room was not yet ready. They gave us two free drinks in the Larkspur Bar by the lobby while we waited. (FYI: They put pickled asparagus in their bloody marys. I was a fan. My wife was not.)

The deluxe room had a king size bed with two chairs and a writing desk. In all, the room was fairly standard, but the view was absolutely incredible. What really set this hotel apart from the hotels in town are its service, location, and unobstructed views of the surrounding mountains.

Our second night there we ate at Eden, the hotel's 5-diamond restaurant. Excellent food and great wine!! Very expensive, but this restaurant should not be missed if at all possible. It was the best meal that I have had in my entire life.

Room service was great, delivered a tasty breakfast right on time.

Highly recommended. We will definitely stay here again.

Stayed: August 2006
5  Thank mb1993
Reviewed August 26, 2006

Got a great rate for August (through the hotel). This hotel is up Sulphur mountain, so a bit away from the crowds in the Banff village, which makes is great b/c it makes it feel more like a secluded mountain resort (I also picked it because it has a/c, unlike many of the other hotels in the area). To be honest, the rooms were pretty average (I guess I expected more from a "leading hotel of the world") but the location and amenities were excellent (including a fridge in the room and really nice views, even for the "low-rate" rooms). The service throughout was also excellent, including the front desk, concierge and housekeeping. We also asked for robes (they are available upon request). The pool area is nice, and we heard the spa was great. We did not get turndown service like some other rooms but when I mentioned it they added this service for our room. We didn't eat at the hotel but can recommend the Maple Leaf and the Bison in Banff very highly (and do not recommend Wild Bills for dinner). Temperature regulation was a bit problematic (we never quite figured it out), but we would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone travelling to Banff (and I am very picky). If you stay here, it is much easier to have a car.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank otraveler
Reviewed August 13, 2006

The Rimrock Hotel is a beautiful hotel with wonderful public areas and rooms. We booked through hotels(--) and prepaid before we arrived. We stayed for 4 nights. A colleague of mine booked through expedia at the same rate. ($322/night). We were there on business attending a conference at the Rimrock itself.

I almost always write positive reviews on tripadvisor but this time I just can not. Perhaps because we booked on the Internet we were in a lower class of room - I'm not sure what happened.

My colleagues's room was not ready at the checkin time of 3pm. When we asked why not we were told "the hotel is very busy" and that the guests in the room "had not left yet." We asked when the room would be ready and he could not give us an answer. When we asked why the above guests were not being asked to leave (checkout being 12pm) our reception person got visibly stressed and said "we can't make them leave." This made no sense to us. Because my room was ready we hung out in my room until both of us were eventually relocated about an hour later to 2 new rooms.

The rooms are beautiful, well-appointed with nice furnishings and seatings and large spacious bathrooms. No complaints with the rooms. Wireless Internet available - good connection. Bar fridge is empty - great for stocking your own stuff. I liked the individual thermostat which, in our room, unlike a previous review, worked great.

For a five star hotel - 3 surprising facts - no daily newspaper, robes must be requested (which we did) and turndown must be requested EVERY night (which we did). These are usually automatics in most hotels of this level. Perhaps they were just not for our rooms but no one else was getting a paper either?

While we were there the ladies change room for the pool was out of service for the week. Wasn't a big deal to me but might have been for some people. The sauna was out of order as well.

The most serious occurrence during our stay was that on the first night we came back at 9:30pm to find our room door propped open - and not just ajar but wide open. A cleaning rag was in the bathroom and turndown had been completed. My laptop was on the desk as were other electronic peripherals. I put the cleaning rag and our (dirty) towels outside our door thinking maybe they had just left for a few minutes. Anyways when I woke up the next morning the cleaning rag was still outside our door. I called downstairs - explained the situation and her only response was "Well is everything still there?" and I said yes nothing was missing but it was a bit unnerving to come and find your room door completely open with no housekeeping or cart in sight. I was told they would let the housekeeping manager know and that was it. No apology.

On checkout - a bar tab appeared on my bill. When I told the reception that this was incorrect she obtained the bill and I confirmed I had not made the charge - my colleague in error had written my room number down. She said to me "well do you want me to remove it"...and I said "of course". She gave me my corrected bill without a smile or a goodbye or anything. I had to say to her "is that it" and she confirmed with a terse "yes".

The Primrose restaurant is very nice and a very relaxing way to start your day with fabulous views. Service in the restaurant was excellent and portions very generous when you order off the menu. We had more than enough to eat and felt no need to order off the buffet.

The Doormen are great and friendly!

We rented a car - but even we were surprised at how far the Rimrock is from Banff. There is the free shuttle but it runs about every 30 minutes. I think it's about 3km to the town of Banff (I'm guessing). If you don't have a car, I would recommend you not stay at the Rimrock.

I loved Banff (loved the Silver Dragon and also had great meals at Giorgios and Miki). We did some great excursions through Discover Banff Tours (horseback riding, hiking, etc.) We also went kayaking through Blast Adventures in Canmore .

Next time we go to Banff I think we will stay somewhere closer to town - so many choices!

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
11  Thank SLin96
Reviewed August 12, 2006

Having just stayed at the Banff Springs and feeling a little let-down I thought I would put in a good word for the Rimrock. I have stayed at this property three times and always enjoyed it. The value has been excellent, the rooms are properly appointed and as a guest I have always felt well taken care of. It has a very private and elegant feeling. While the property is just minutes from town it still has a hide-away from civilization quality that I am looking for in a mountain vacation. The views from every room I have been in have been stunning, and the views from the Primrose for breakfast and the upstairs lounge in the evening are also epic. You are basically looking out at forests and Rundle Mountain from anywhere on the back of the hotel.

In the wintertime they put down a small ice rink and have an open pit fire. The pool is an indoor pool only, however the hotel is right across the street (walking distance) from the upper hot springs, which is a natural outdoor sulfur hot springs.

Stayed: January 2006