“Nice place a little out of town but runs a free shuttle.”

Rimrock Resort Hotel
Ranked #3 of 33 Hotels in Banff
Reviewed June 14, 2013

A very nice hotel, staff are friendly and helpful. We visited here as part of our Rocky Mountaineer experience. The room was comfortable the bed was nice. The restaurant was very over priced. Close to the gondola, a little far out of town but they ran a free shuttle. Loved Banff.

Room Tip: The room we had was a beautiful view as they look over the mountains.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Leann_13

Reviewed June 13, 2013

I recently travelled here with girlfriends and we had the Grandview room, which was very comfortable with great views. We ate at the Primrose and had great service and enjoyed the pasta menu and a good selection of wine. We ordered room service for breakfast and it came promptly and the hot meals were hot and the yogurt parfait with fruit was more than i could eat for breakfast and delicious. Didn't try the spa this time, but used the pool and hottub and enjoyed some quiet time here to read. The concierge was helpful when we were needing a cab and looking for some spots to try out in town for the evening. Check in and check out were fast and easy. Will always come back to this hotel when visiting Banff.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank jo123Alberta
Reviewed June 13, 2013

One of the best hotels I have ever stayed at ... great location, gorgeous views, super restaurants, very good breakfasts, breakfasts, helpful, friendly, courteous and knowledgeable staff, and to round it all off, free transit to and from downtown ...

Room Tip: Try and get a room with a balcony ...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Minarette
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Had a fantastic stay, the service was over the top. All staff were extremely helpful and happy. Our room had a incredible view, room service was great, fast & accurate. Had a 2 year old with us and he loved the pool. Really nice spa and an overall great expierience.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank SpencerV
Reviewed June 11, 2013

I am actually staying at the Rimrock right now - been here for several days and thought I'd share my experience. I do a lot of business and personal travel so here are the pros and cons I've seen:
Pros:
- If you pay for the upgrade, gorgeous view and location (close to the springs and gondola). Further up in the mountains than other hotels
- If you don't have a car, you can take advantage of a free bus service to downtown.
- Beds are comfortable
Cons:
- Restaurant service at the Larkspur is s-l-o-w (with the exception of one server). It is painful so if you plan to stop by make sure you're not on a time schedule and can burn time. The Primrose is dependent on who you get and if the chef is out front, but if you tell them you need to move faster they will - recommend buffet for breakfast. That said, they did overcharge me this morning.
- Internet service is not always reliable esp. if you need VPN
Trying the spa later so we'll see how that goes

Room Tip: North side seems quieter.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank N B
Reviewed June 11, 2013

This is the kind of hotel where you get to know the manager’s name but he doesn’t remember yours.

The best things about this property are the knowledgeable and friendly bell captains, the unbeatable location and views, and the earnest nature of the catering staff. Most everything else about this property falls far short of reasonable standards.

At check-in, the front desk had no record of our request for a king bed, so they had this married party of two slated to go into a room with two queens. So romantic. No problem, they said, we have the same size room available with a king bed for the low, low upgrade fee of $75. You would think the hotel might provide this “upgrade” for free, in light of the mix-up, but they were very content to take our money. Since we were going to be out of pocket anyway, we opted to splurge a bit extra for a more costly but real upgrade that would put us in a bigger king room with two bathrooms and a better view.

The room was a disappointment. The view was, of course, astonishing, but our “suite” was simply two standard rooms with a door that opened between them. Rather than attempting to renovate the space to feel more like one special room and less like two patched-together standard rooms, the hotel relies on you keeping your eyeballs fixated on the outdoors so you will overlook the deficiencies inside the room. The furniture did not fit the room – for example a table sat pinched into a narrow passage near the bed where toes could easily collide with table legs during late-night jaunts to the toilet, a cabinet stuck out awkwardly into a hallway, and the television set was extremely small by modern standards.

The party in the room above us was evidently so displeased with the furnishings that he tossed them over his balcony. I’m not kidding. We were quite alarmed to see a large leather chair, a wooden side-table, a big round glass tabletop, a wooden deck table, and a leather ottoman accelerate down past our window accompanied by yelling and stomping from above. Clearly the hotel has no control over the sanity of its guests, and feeling concerned for the safety of any other occupants of the room above, ourselves, and pedestrians below, I called the hotel operator. Ring … ring … ring … automated recording and then hold music. After about a minute a staff member came on the line. I explained the situation and urged him to alert hotel security to attend the room above us immediately. We waited 15 minutes and when there seemed to be no hotel response we decided to proceed to the lobby to notify someone in person. (Long hold times and unanswered calls were standard any time we needed to contact the staff. On our last day we let the phone ring for 10 minutes before giving up.)

We got to the lobby and were told by staff that security was “on their way”. Fifteen minutes since a guest reported seeing furniture flung off a balcony and security is “on their way”? We decided not to stick around and headed out for a coffee at the Starbucks conveniently located just up the road. Upon our return an hour after the start of the incident, we saw local police were in attendance, which was reassuring.

I asked to speak to a hotel manager to mention our displeasure at the seemingly delayed response and to find out whether it was safe to return to our room. He was surprisingly casual and nonchalant. He claimed security’s response had been immediate, and when I insisted security certainly hadn’t shown up in the first 15 minutes, he demurred that they were “very busy” that morning. I explained that the most important role of the hotel management and security team is to ensure guests feel safe and I certainly didn’t feel safe. He issued a half-hearted and unconvincing apology and we carried on with our day.

Later that night we heard from a friend in another city who was trying to send a surprise bottle of champagne to our room. He was forced to blow the surprise to tell us he had been trying for 3 hours to place his order with room service – apparently no one at the hotel had ever heard of Veuve Cliquot, nor did they know how to accept credit card payment over the phone. Evidently they were going to bill the gift to our room! At some point the champagne was delivered to the wrong room, and eventually, just before midnight, I opened the door in my pajamas to receive the belated bottle. (Note to Mr. H**** C**** – I hope you weren’t trying to have an anonymous stay at the hotel, because the staff told my friend your name when they explained to him that they accidentally delivered my gift to your room. I also hope they didn’t charge you a room service delivery fee!)

Smiles or greetings from housekeeping staff during random encounters in common areas were inconsistent. In the lounge, servers did a great job of delivering water promptly, but placing an order or god-forbid receiving it took ages. As for meals, the catering team tried their best to accommodate my husband’s medical dietary restriction, but it took a few tries for them to really get it. Nevertheless, they were very earnest and I applaud them for trying hard.

The exercise room is well equipped if a bit overstuffed for the allotted space. If you’d like to grab a water to have handy at the treadmill, be sure to bring your three dollars to buy one of the bottles kept behind the counter. And if you’re happy to settle for tap water, unfortunately you’ll need to leave the fitness area to get that slurp from a fountain.

At check-out, there were a couple of minor problems with our bill, and when the clerk told us she couldn’t fix them, I asked to speak to a manager. Lucky us: out came the same manager who “helped” us with the security problem. He showed no recognition that he had previously interacted with us extensively, so I said it was nice to see him again. No reaction. He reiterated his colleague’s assertion that the problems couldn’t be fixed, so I rattled off a few of the other problems we had experienced during our time at the Rimrock, all of which had culminated to an utterly disappointing stay. By this point, I was exasperated, so I suspect there was considerable strain and volume in my voice. I guess he wanted to get us on our way – the unfixable problems on our folio were miraculously fixed by him pronto.

Happily the bell captains were there to send us off with smiles on our faces. One of them who had witnessed the front desk exchange playfully joked to my husband “Is there any other rudeness or disappointment we can offer you folks today?” If only they promoted the bell captains to the front desk, I suspect things would run much more smoothly at the Rimrock. Existing staff and management seem inexperienced. They would benefit from hiring folks with more comprehensive work experience and training in the hospitality industry

As things stand, the ideal guest at the Rimrock has to be very patient, easy-going, and remarkably good-humoured about mix-ups and shortcomings. Those expecting the finer things in life will, regrettably, be disappointed.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
7  Thank TrulyTessa
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Positives-
The setting and views from this hotel are fantastic. The pool area is small but very clean and relaxing. I think we were lucky to have it all to ourselves ! Staff were generally friendly and helpful and sorted out an issue we had very well. There is a free Banff shuttle bus that runs regularly by the hotel which is very handy as it is situated a long way out of town.
But... We both felt that there was just something missing at this place. We are well travelled and are lucky to have stayed in some lovely places. We were really looking forward to our stay here which was part of a longer trip to this part of Canada. The hotel just felt a bit dated and tired. We paid extra for an upgrade and our room was enormous wih a beautiful valley view. The bed was very comfortable and we hoped for a great nights sleep. Unfortunately the alarm clock and radio in the next room went off shortly after midnight, woke us up and very loudly stayed on. We left it for a bit, thinking the occupants would soon switch it off. No luck. So we called the front desk to ask if the room was occupied and to explain the problem. A security guard was sent up to switch it off as there was no one in the room. I specifically went to the desk the next day to ask them to check that the radio alarm was disabled or even unplugged as we needed a good nights sleep due to getting up very early to catch a train. They assured me that it would not happen again... I'm sure you can guess what happened! So two bad nights sleep later I approached the desk again. I said that the first night's incident had been out of their control but that it should not have happened twice. We would have been better staying in our cheaper room with a less spectacular view! They did refund our parking fees- which I don't think should be charged anyway. As I said earlier, the issue was dealt with very efficiently but should not have happened twice. We left the hotel feeling disappointed with our experience. This was not due to the alarm clock incident, more a general disappointment. Not a hotel that we would particularly rush back to.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple