“Beautiful view... But something missing.”

Rimrock Resort Hotel
Ranked #3 of 32 Hotels in Banff
“Beautiful view... But something missing.”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Positives-
The setting and views from this hotel are fantastic. The pool area is small but very clean and relaxing. I think we were lucky to have it all to ourselves ! Staff were generally friendly and helpful and sorted out an issue we had very well. There is a free Banff shuttle bus that runs regularly by the hotel which is very handy as it is situated a long way out of town.
But... We both felt that there was just something missing at this place. We are well travelled and are lucky to have stayed in some lovely places. We were really looking forward to our stay here which was part of a longer trip to this part of Canada. The hotel just felt a bit dated and tired. We paid extra for an upgrade and our room was enormous wih a beautiful valley view. The bed was very comfortable and we hoped for a great nights sleep. Unfortunately the alarm clock and radio in the next room went off shortly after midnight, woke us up and very loudly stayed on. We left it for a bit, thinking the occupants would soon switch it off. No luck. So we called the front desk to ask if the room was occupied and to explain the problem. A security guard was sent up to switch it off as there was no one in the room. I specifically went to the desk the next day to ask them to check that the radio alarm was disabled or even unplugged as we needed a good nights sleep due to getting up very early to catch a train. They assured me that it would not happen again... I'm sure you can guess what happened! So two bad nights sleep later I approached the desk again. I said that the first night's incident had been out of their control but that it should not have happened twice. We would have been better staying in our cheaper room with a less spectacular view! They did refund our parking fees- which I don't think should be charged anyway. As I said earlier, the issue was dealt with very efficiently but should not have happened twice. We left the hotel feeling disappointed with our experience. This was not due to the alarm clock incident, more a general disappointment. Not a hotel that we would particularly rush back to.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Andymac64

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (893)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed June 10, 2013

The staff were very friendly and helpful. The view of the mountains was great and my room had a balcony allowing me to sit back, relax and take it all in!!! The hotel is located outside of the town site very close to the sulphur hot springs.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank chuckles_hall
Toronto
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Very nice hotel located close to gondola and banff springs, a bit of a drive to town. We reserved a mountain view with obstruction and it was definitely obstructed, no view except some trees. Service was outstanding, our four year old was sick during the night and staff promptly brought fresh sheets and remade the bed, it was greatly appreciated.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed June 9, 2013

My Husband booked our little family of 3 for one night at The Rimrock for my birthday in May. My birthday was Saturday followed by Mother's Day the following day. We were on a budget which we thought would do us for our short weekend trip. To our dismay, we arrived at the hotel and they wanted an additional $250 deposit for incidentals on top of the $350 with tax for the price of the room. We've been to resorts and upscale hotels all over North America and have never been requested to pay more than $100 deposit for incidentals so this really dented our budget. We had to cancel our reservation at the Keg for my birthday and instead, split an order of nachos in the Rimrock lounge for dinner. Upon check in, they did give us 3 free drink coupons and a free buffet breakfast for me since it was my birthday. It was a nice gesture, but the $250 deposit they had required at check in was budgeted for the weekend to pay for food. I didn't want to end up eating at the breakfast buffet alone on Mother's Day without my Husband and Son, so my Husband went and asked if we could charge the cost of their breakfasts to the room so it could be taken from the $250 deposit. After about an hour, his request was granted so they could eat with me for Mother's Day. The hotel itself was very nice, very clean. There is a large firepit out back and we asked concierge if someone could get wood and light it for us. We spent the evening chatting with a lovely family we met there. After they left, 6 more people came out and sat around the fire. Everyone was very friendly. If it wasn't for the unnecessarily large deposit and the having to deal with the front desk concerning money, the weekend would have been perfect. Would I return? No.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Belinasha
Coaldale, Canada
Reviewed June 9, 2013

I attended a conference at this location for the first time.
The overall experience was great. The staff are very customer service oriented and always smiled and said hello, whether passing you in the hall or while behind a counter.
Check in was fast and efficient, although, luckily, I did miss the rush by a few minutes.
The bell staff made baggage handling a breeze and by the time I parked the rental car and made my way up to the room, my luggage was being placed in the room.
When i checked in I asked if an upgraded room was available after the conference was over as my wife was going to join me for a couple of days. I got a room with a pretty good view of Tunnel Mountain. Most of my colleagues got a view of the Porte Cochere or the parking garage.
Now for the items that prevent a full five stars....
The 16 dollar per night fee to self park, or the 30 dollar charge for valet parking...really? In a parking structure that is incredible cramped...and crowded, which begs the question.."When people are parking along the road to the Gondola because the garage is full, why is one full level and a partial level of the parkade closed and used to store old furniture, rather than opened up for parking?"
The other concern is gouging an additional charge for "premium" WiFi...I know that Banff is the ultimate tourist trap, but come on...when business travellers are using a hotel of this quality to meet and confer, isn't it realistic to expect to be able to do business properly without being penalized by a surcharge on wifi?
The conference facilities are pretty much average, main ballroom, breakout rooms etc.
I read some past reviews regarding poor quality food and service.
My experience with the meals in the Primrose Dining room and the Larkspur Lounge were very good and the catered food for the conference were exceptional. I will cover those on their pages.
Overall the stay was great and I am looking forward to next year's conference already...

Room Tip: If you can afford it upgrade to a view room if you plan on spending time in your room
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Kermit403
Geel, Belgium
Reviewed June 7, 2013

The hotel was just awesome. Great view from our room, as well as their restaurants. The staff was super friendly at all times. We had breakfast in the hotel, which was very tasty and not overpriced. The chocolate waffles and pancakes were delicious. We used the pool, which is very well equipped, with separate showers, lockers and free towels as well. We just had a great stay in this hotel. Definitely recommended!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Maarten92
calgary
Reviewed June 5, 2013

We adore the Rimrock Hotel, have stayed a few times. Recently, my husband took me for my birthday. It was a lovely surprise. We went in February, so, during ski season - cold and snowy.When you drive up to the hotel you see its Nestled in the Trees and in the mountains. When you walk into the beautiful lobby of the Rimrock, the first thing that you notice is the scent of the wood buring fireplace...delicious. Its a very welcoming relaxing feeling. Its like walking into your home...If your home was a huge Mansion. :-). The staff at the Rimrock are top notch, and professional. Welcoming and helpful.

Our room was spacious and comfortable. Overlooking the valley, its not obvious from the front, but the hotel is on a cliff, so all the back rooms have a great mountain and valley view, and so private, its like you're in a private Chalet.

Before we headed to bed we stoped in the lounge for a glass of port...just warms your innards :-)

Our bed was very very comfortable, and a great choice of pillows and extra blankets. We just lounged for the entire morning. Huge TV, lovely bath, big fluffy towels, tons of extras in the bathroom..dont bring a thing...just your toothbrush and a cute guy.

There was parking, it was mostly indoor, but if you were out late...you may be on the top level (Outside) burrrr but we are Calgarians...we wear shorts when its plus 3.

Banff, of course is a lovely little town, with plenty to do places to eat, Bars, wildlife on the streets terrific sights - just a nice place to stroll and window shop. The newly opened Cave and Basin, also a great place to visit. I used to swim there as a child, hot pool and cold pool. As well as the Upper hot springs...so much fun, and many fun childhood memories spent swimming in the pools with my brother and sisters. If its open and not too socked in a ride on the gondola up Sulpher is a MUST do

Its true when you live close to something so spectacular, you take it for granted..we dont go often anymore, but its always nice to visit, and Staying at the Rimrock, is The cherry on top of a very nice weekend.

Love it there