“Historic hotel in the middle of Banff” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Mount Royal Hotel
Ranked #23 of 32 Hotels in Banff
Marietta, GA
“Historic hotel in the middle of Banff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2010

Comfortable old hotel with a lot of history, right in the middle of town on the main street (Banff Avenue), within an easy walk to most restaurants and shops. Getting a bit overdue for a remodeling with worn carpet in my room and decades-old laminate vanity top and fixtures in bathroom. The hotel and rooms were kept very clean and tidy, so that somewhat made up for the worn look of things.

Very comfy beds with good quality pillows and sheets....I had no trouble sleeping whatsoever, and I'm usually a light sleeper.

Good shower with plenty of hot water, but rather dim lighting in the bathroom and with a solid color shower curtain, the shower/bath was especially limited in light.

Older tube-type TV's...adequate and with a good selection of channels, but I've been spoiled with so many hotels converting over to flat screen LCD or plasma screens with HD programming.

Fairly-fast wired Internet (free) in rooms. Wireless is also available but I did not try that since there was a wired jack right at the desk in my room with a plug strip for charging laptop and accessories.

Most rooms do not have refrigerators, but I had requested one before arriving and they had a room equipped with one ready for me (no microwave though, however coffee and tea makers are in each room with all supplies).

I had breakfast in the hotel the first morning at Tony Romas, and it was good but pricey for breakfast ($12-15) and way more food than I needed. There is a McDonald's right next to the hotel, so I had breakfast there the rest of my stay. Room service is available from the Paddock Bar and Grille, but I never got around to trying that with so many other great restaurants nearby. I was very impressed with the St James Gate Irish Pub, along with Elk and Oarsman (great elk steak) and Coyotes Southwestern Grill. There is also a food court in the small Cascades Mall that offers reasonable lunch selections.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank Freq_business_travlr

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
south of england
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2010

My sister and I stayed for a few days before visiting family. it was a wonderful centre for shopping, walks and views. I would thoroughly recommend it.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank camelSouthOfEngland
Bath
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2010

I have just stayed here. I fully agree with the long review below. This is a great hotel with one exception - Noise - This is not the place to stay if you want to sleep well overnight. The hotel atrracts a young crowd, stags etc- including local canadians - through cheap room deals. The noise in the corridors can be horrendous and security is not inhouse - They have to call someone in.
Great location and all the places mentioned in the review are good. The Keg is great and also the Elk and Oarsman across the road has loads of cheap deals including a spectacular $8 steak night on a Tuesday.....and its good steak too.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank pme100
Basingstoke
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2010

I stayed at the Mount Royal with my family and some friends as we planned to ski at Sunshine and Lake Louise over the course of the week. The most pleasing thing about the Hotel is its location. It is in downtown Bannf and ideally located for access to the Restauarants, shops and bars. Everything you could need is within walking distance and the main ski bus stops right outside the hotel in the large car park to the rear. The Mount Royal is one of the early pick ups on route to the the ski resorts so there is normally some seats available. This is important as it is seating only so once it is full it does not pick up any more passengers meaning that one has to wait for the next bus (every half hour on the dot). The hotel itself is well run and clean and boasts two restaurants/bars along with a hot tub and sauna but no pool. The restauarant is Tony Roma's which normally serves a buffet breakfast which is not bad value at $13.99 for all you can eat although the food seemed a little dry. The other option for a lighter cheaper breakfast is either McDonalds or Subways which are about 100 yards away incase you dont want much to eat and or you are in a hurry. The hot tub is quite large and warm although not too bubbly. It was always a good place to chat with other guests and talk about their experiences and tips if they had been in resort longer than you. The rooms we had were quite large although my bathroom was a little small but all our party commented on how comfortable the beds were and there was a reasonable amout of space for clothes and hanging etc. The cupboard included a safe too. They were generous with the tea and coffee although only powdered milk was provided. As per other reviews there was a little noise from the street late at night from people leaving bars and clubs etc but it was not that annoying really and did not interrupt our sleep at all. I would say that the corridoor outside the room was a little noisy though with banging doors and people running up and down (our first two nights had a coach load of schoolchildren on our floor so there was lots of scampering about outisde which was pretty audible from the room). Once they had gone things were pretty quiet although from time to time there was the occasional door bang and the thump thump thump of ski boots but to be fair it is hard to hide this wherever you are. In conclusion I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone and would also recommend staying at Bannf as it is a well set up resort with plenty to offer in terms of restaurants and shops etc. My tips are "The Key" for Steak and the "Magpie and Stump" for Mexican. We were advised that the Saltlick was great for steak lthough a little pricey and that upstairs in Melissa's was good for pub grub and atmosphere although we did not get to go to either of these places. Finally I would heartily recommend a visit to the Hot Springs bath in Bannf and also that you go at least once to the Buffet Dinner in the Bow Valley Grill Restauarant at the Fairmont Bannf Springs Hotel which is about half a mile out of town. The per head price is $30 which is reasonable compared to the main places in town but the selection is superb and the food quality is even better. We went on two different nights and I cannot recommend it high enough - you must go! They are on Thursday, Friday and Saturday I believe and each night has a theme which I think are Italian, Asian and Candadian respectively.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank Travel4fun0164
yorkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2010

Finally saving up enough money for a trip to the slopes myself and a buddy bagged a bargain with Inghams to Bannf.After a painless flight with Monarch and transfer we rocked up at The Mount Royal in Bannf.I could of wept with joy at the large clean room we were given after the last rat hole of a chalet i stayed at in Tignes.
The Hotel was full of friendly helpful staff,the room and bathroom were kept immaculate by the cleaners.
The Hotel is superbly situated in the middle of what is a very small town ,so handy for eats,wets and shops.
All the Ski Buses stop a rear of Hotel,with really friendly bus staff and big enough buses to make sure you get to right slopes so unlike the bus nightmares of Chamonix!
I read previous reviews and took earplugs and banged them in a couple of times as there is a lot of shouting from drunk kids at kicking out time from a club very nearby,not the hotels fault and its not every night just be aware.
The quality of North American accomodation shames the industry in Europe,i didnt pay anymore for this holiday than i would for a holiday in France etc.We just put up with it like muppets.
I would quite happily return to this hotel and hope to take along my partner next time.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank bigchrislucky66
Ryde Isle of Wight
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2010

Situated right in the centre of Banff you can not get any closer to the shops and town centre.

We had a huge room with two queen size beds that were fantasticly comfortable, a sofa, big tv, desk, chair and coffee machine. The bathroom was of a good size and nice and clean with loads of crisp white towels. Although we were at the front of the hotel fronting onto the main street, we noticed no noice at all from outside. The hotel has an ice machine (free) on each floor and also a snack vending machine (round $2 per item) We had a wondeful view of the mountains from our room.

The bar downstairs is nice. We did not eat breakfast in the hotel but drunk in the bar which was nice which very friendly and attentive service and had one meal in Tony Romas the steak and rib resturant attached. We found this good value with good portions and quality with good friendly Canadian service. In the foyer there is free wi fi but you must get the code from reception.

A great place to stay in Banff close to everywhere.

We were part of a tour so can't comment on the room price as we don't know what it was.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank caulkheadmatt
calgary
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2010

The room we had booked was not available. We got "upgraded" to a suite, what a joke. A small double bed and TV only could fit the room and the living area was so small and not practical we could not go through with our 1 luggage without banging in every piece of furniture. It only had a single chair, a TV and a small desk though.
We requested another room and got move to a super small room at the far end of the hallway. At least it had a king size bed. TV not working, bathroom ventilation not working, strong cigarette smell, view on a wall through a very small window, surely this room must have been used as storage before. The staff was useless and a little arrogant. you would think they would try to make you as happy as possible after such a disappointement, but not at all.
I stayed there once before. We had a nice double queen standard bedroom and the location is really nice. Unfortunately this time was a whole different story.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank 94travelerCalgary

Travelers are raving about these Banff hotels