“Very clean and staff were well manerred. Hotel restaurant excellent. Vgood”
Review of Mount Royal Hotel

Mount Royal Hotel
Ranked #23 of 33 Hotels in Banff
Banff
“Very clean and staff were well manerred. Hotel restaurant excellent. Vgood”
Reviewed February 23, 2010

The rooms were clean and made up each day. Staff were helpfull and friendly. We ate in the bar when first arrived it was good. Had a meal in hotel restaurant and it was excellent and good value for money. Would definately stay there again. Perfect for pick up and drop off to go to ski areas and central to everything. Local buses also pick up outside and very raliable and give precice times for attending.
Would recommend this hotel as good, central and friendly.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank SamthedogBanff

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Walney Island
Reviewed February 18, 2010

I was a little apprehensive in booking this hotel as some of the internet reviews were somewhat critical. In the event we stayed in the hotel for a week and found the hotel to be most acceptable. The location in the center of town was just brilliant and the fact that Tony Roma's diner was in the same building was very useful. I would single out the staff for being very warm and friendly and it was a pleasure to be acknowledged in the lobby and corridors by a freindly welcome that really did seem to be genuine - well done staff. The rooms were adequate, warm and kept clean and well supplied with toiletries, coffee and tea etc. One grumble would be the bottled water left in the room - over 2 dollars for a small bottle of water - come on hotel that's a bit steep - you should do away with that or even have a complimentary bottle in the fridge. I would certainly use this hotel again and would have no hesitation about recommending it to friends.

1 Thank Walney-Geoff
Calgary
Reviewed February 17, 2010

We had stayed here before and had a nice room with all amenities at a reasonable price.This time we booked through the internet. The checkin clerk was robotic verging on rude. The room was tiny with barely room to walk around the bed. It was at the end a long weird hall. Maybe used to be a storage room? There was some contraption in the bathroom that used to be a hair dryer/razor plug in/makeup light. It no longer worked. As there was no plug in the bathroom I had to plug into a wall outlet and stretch across the room to see the mirror. The TV armoir doors would not stay open so we could not watch the non- functioning TV. For 2 days running we had to call to ask for towels and the ones they brought were like shredded rags. The view was of the roof vents and a brick wall. There was no window to open and we thought we would suffocate in the night. The heat control/airconditioner did not work .This hotel advertises that it's historic and rustic. Maybe they should say old and decrepit. The owners should be ashamed to rent out this room.

2 Thank MontyCalgary

Travelers are raving about these Banff hotels

Hadleigh UK
Reviewed February 16, 2010

We have just arrived back from Banff after a wonderful week skiing.we were a bit concerned after we had read the mixed reviews about the hotel before we went but we were on a package deal so we went with an open mind.When we arrived we were part of large group checking in but the staff were very friendly & helpful considering the amount of people trying to check in at the same time, our room was not ready so we nipped into Tony Romas for a drink when we returned all our luggage had been taken to our room (as we were skiing there was alot ,ski`s, boots ect) this was a nice touch & throughout the holiday the staff could not do enough for us. We were on the second floor our room was spotless ( and kept that way throughout the week) & very comfortable, the bathroom was a bit dated but everything worked, good shower & plenty of hot water.The only thing i will agree with is Friday ,Saturday & Sunday nights there was alot of noise outside of the front of the hotel when the pubs & clubs kicked out but this is a small price to pay for a hotel in such a perfect spot with the ski buses picking up in the car park just behind the hotel (2 min walk) & lots of good bars & restaurants located within 5 min walk from the front door.
We can recommend Melissa`s for breakfast (big breakfast half serving $7.95 enough for me & i can eat for England). For a nice high end evening meal try the Maple leaf opposite the hotel or the Bison both offer a nice setting & superb quality food at a price,the Spaghetti factory for good value chain food or the Paddock, Elk & Oarsman for good pub grub.We did not eat or drink in the hotel as we wanted to experience as much of Banff as we could so we can not comment on this aspect & Tony Romas as far as we can tell is not part of the hotel?
In conclusion you get what you pay for if you want 5 star hotel book the Fairmont ,we loved the hotel the staff (its a shame everyone is not as friendly as all the Canadians we met) & Banff so we will be back.

2 Thank DoctorDom
Alberta
Reviewed February 15, 2010

I stayed in the Mount Royal Hotel over a weekend in February. I'd been a little apprehensive after reading the reviews, but wanted to give it a try.

The rooms are a bit elderly, but it IS an older hotel. Mine had one desk lamp and two floor lamps, but only one really worked...the other two blinked on an off (in addition to a ceiling lamp and a bedside lamp). A whole lotta lamps going on.

The bathroom was clean and comfortable...a nice tub for soaking. I didn't really understand why there was a telephone in there, but, well...okay. And it sounds silly, but the toilet paper was so far away from the toilet that you had to take some with you before you went...you'd need to be a gorilla to be able to reach! I found it kind of funny, actually.

The bed was a bit too springy and it sagged in the middle, but I slept well.

The window didn't open, which was a drawback for me, and my view was of a wall and the back parking lot if I craned my neck. The ventilation worked well, but it was a bit too noisy for my liking. I turned it off one night only to be woken by skiers clomping down the hallways. Left it on the rest of the time, and all was well. The TV remote was held together with a bit of tape, which I found amusing...we've done the same thing at home. No movies for the room, no mention of room service (though I gather it was possible - not really sure, though), and the bottled water was $2.75 (skipped that!). The room did come with a mini-fridge, though, and you could have easily stocked it with your own beverages. No mini-bar. The single armchair looked a bit sketchy, so I stretched out on the bed to read. The hotel binder - you know the one with the information? - was stained and sticked...ick!

Internet access was a stunning $10 per day! I suggest heading over to the Second Cup with your laptop - access there is free.

I had a bed and breakfast package, and the desk gave me vouchers for the restaurant. It wasn't really much of a breakfast, though - I would have done better heading down the street to Melissa's. I don't recommend the hotel breakfast unless you're in a hurry. Blech.

I would say this about the hotel: the staff are friendly and helpful. The concierge looked into a dog sledding package for me - ultimately, I didn't go, but I appreciated the assistance and research. It's clean, reasonably comfortable, and a good value compared to some of the other rates in Banff. It is not a luxury hotel by any stretch of the imagination, but it does well enough. I was on the third floor and there was a half flight of stairs, but it wasn't a problem - and not many stairs, either! It was a looooong way from the elevator to my room, though, and I asked for help with my bag. Bellman (bellperson?) was very helpful and didn't mind at all.

There are a lot of tour groups heading through, too. But that's a bit of a bonus, I think - they're all too tired to be noisy.

Would I stay here again? Um, probably not. I think I'd probably head for a more upscale hotel like the Rimrock. But if you're on a budget, or just passing through, or if you don't plan on hanging around the hotel (and who would want to, being in Banff?), it's a safe choice.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
4 Thank justmeAlberta
Yeovil
Reviewed February 11, 2010

We stayed at this hotel for a week at the end of January and thought it was a very nice hotel. Our room was really spacious and clean and the bed was very comfy. It is really convenient for skiing as you can catch the buses in the car park at the back of the hotel and collect your skis from the storage room on the way. The location is brilliant, close to all the shops and restaurants. The jacuzzi in the hotel is nice and a nice warm temperature.

I cannot understand some of the negative reviews I have read on here as we had a really good holiday and thoroughly enjoyed our stay at this hotel. Don't be put off staying here as we had nothing to complain about.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Yeovilwall
Cheltenham, UK
Reviewed February 1, 2010

We stayed at the Mount Royal Hotel for a week while skiing and it was ideal - the rooms were spacious and clean, and the staff were really friendly. The coaches that go to each ski resort pick you up right outside the back of the hotel, and there's good storage for skis and snowboards. It's right in the centre of Banff so perfect for getting to all the restaurants and bars.

The jacuzzi was great, nice and hot. I thought the bathroom in our room was a little dark at first but the shower was really powerful and there was a big mirror so it was good. We asked for a room at the back and were really glad as the view of the Rockies was amazing. It is an old hotel but the rooms looked recently refurbished.

We went to see why people complained about the stairs to the fourth floor... there were four of them (the horror) so the following rooms were on a slightly lower level (which is why they're labelled as on a different floor). There is a lift from the side entrance of the hotel to these rooms as well. Looking at the negative reviews for this hotel - it seems to be the people who stay on this floor, so maybe ask for a different floor if you're worried (we were on the third).

The majority of other people seemed to be there for skiing too, so you can expect tours etc to be staying - the hotel has a quiet policy after 11pm and security so if you experience any noise, reception will sort it out.

We booked the hotel and flights through Inghams so I'm not sure how much the rooms are normally, but it was great value for money for us. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends