Mount Royal Hotel
Douglas Fir Resort & Chalets(Banff)(Great Value!)
$151
$147
Hidden Ridge Resort(Banff)(Great Value!)
$228
$209
Rundlestone Lodge(Banff)(Great Value!)
$246
$209
$349
$267
  • Pool
Fox Hotel & Suites(Banff)(Great Value!)
$234
$216
Banff Caribou Lodge & Spa(Banff)(Great Value!)
$193
$434
$388
Fairmont.com
  • Restaurant
Banff Aspen Lodge(Banff)(Great Value!)
$256
$218
Orbitz.com
$255
$245
Orbitz.com
1,104 results
All reviewstony romasgreat locationcentral locationthe main streetmiddle of townbanff avenuean older hotelthird floorhistoric hotelstandard roomhot tubfridgeskicanadasunshinesnowgondola
Reviewed September 24, 2008

I am one of the 'living dead' as someone has so eloquently expressed it. One of the tour bus crowd! We aren't all able to travel independently, however I still expect quality. We stayed three nights at this hotel, the room was dark, dingy with badly stained carpet, paper thin sheets and towels with holes in. The bathroom had really 'black grouting' between some of the tiles. The list goes on. When we arrived we had been up for at least 24hrs we were exhausted but I would gladly have gone home rather than stay in the room. I cried for ages. Anne

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family
6  Thank youngatheartUk
Reviewed September 4, 2008

We stayed 4 nights at the Mount Royal and we loved it. Great central location, easy to find and ample free car parking. The staff were friendly and helpful. The room was clean and the beds were very comfortable. A very decent sized room safe. Clean and well equiped bathroom.
We breakfasted at Tony Romas and found it to be reasonably priced all you can eat. Staff very pleasant. All in all a very enjoyable stay and we would definately go back.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank majorshrl
Reviewed August 29, 2008

Wow, where do I start -

(1) There are two very different sections to this Hotel - a new/ refurbished section and a downright dirty and decrepit section. All marketing and sales for the hotel pretends to be the former while 90% is the latter.

(2) Very rude staff at the front desk. Remember the airline chick from "Meet the Parents". This was her only - on steroids. When we tried to change rooms she went ballistic on us saying that it was impossible - 2 hours later, we asked the same question to a different staff member and they happily complied.

(3) Major safety concerns with the hotel. My little boy pushed the elevator button while we were on the 2nd floor and when the doors opened (so that we could get on) the bottom floor of the elevator was literally two feet below the level of the floor. When I contacted the manager to let him know he responded "yeah, doesn't surprise me a bit" WTF?

(4) Adjacent restaurant (Tony Roma's) provided the most offensive experience of my life. When the greeter asked how many children we had and we responded "3" she gave a disgusting smile and said - "I'm not sure that we can accomodate children right now - you know it is getting kind of late". I said "So, you would rather not serve a young family with children right now?" She smiled again and said "Yes". [--]?

(5) Although the location for this hotel is right down town, you can travel down the road 3 blocks to "Fox Hotel & Suites" and for an extra $25 per night have a wonderful stay at real hotel with a charming atmosphere, wonderful staff, and amazing service.

Banff is an awesome place to visit and I am sure to go back, but I will never stay at the Royal Pain again and I warn all who read this entry - stay very very far away.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank SantaBarbaraStyle
Reviewed August 25, 2008

If you like stained, worn carpet, thin bed linens, and dingy comforters you'll be right at home here. This place is a rip-off and certainly not a 3+/4 star establishment. We paid over $250.00/night for a room I didn't want to walk barefoot in. Unbelievably overpriced and over-rated! We requested a new room and got one of similar filth. Finally we were upgraded and the room was satisfactory; however, the windows didn't open and there was no air conditioning! Oh well, we at least had a clean bed. (I hope).

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank rebabee
Reviewed August 20, 2008

After reading the reviews on here I was dreading our 3 nights in this hotel, but I was pleasantly surprised.

There is free parking with direct access to reception from the carpark, and there is plenty of space too.

On check in the staff were pleasant, if not overly enthusiastic. We had a great room (superior), it was on the 2nd floor overlooking the main street and with good mountain views. We were worried about noise but it was very quiet. It was clean and well maintained and had enough storage for all our luggage.

We had 2 big comfy beds and a decent sized bathroom.

We stuck our heads into the bar and resturant but decided to give them a miss as it was like the night of the living dead, as a tour bus had just arrived full of very tired looking people! Due to the location of the hotel you have all the restaurants and bars just a stones throw from the front door and an excellent wine shop just on the side street.

One night we tried to order room service, it was like they had never heard of such a thing. They took our order sounding rather confused, then rang back about 5 minutes later saying they didnt have what we wanted, and asked what menu were we looking at?! (it ws the room service menu from the room!). We told them just to forget about it, as it all sounded a bit dodgy! The person on the phone was very polite however.

Independant travellers should note that this hotel is FULL of the tour bus crowd, who shuffle in for one night and out again. This usually makes for bad service and low standards, however we didn't encounter anything dreadful on our stay.

I would gladly stay in this hotel again as apart from the room service incident it all went exceedingly well, the room was great and the location was the best in town.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple