Mount Royal Hotel
$446
$649
$529
  • Restaurant
Banff Caribou Lodge & Spa(Banff)(Great Value!)
$354
$268
TripAdvisor
  • Restaurant
1,104 results
All reviewsgreat locationthe main streetmiddle of townbanff avenuethird floorhistoric hotelhot tubfridgeskicanadasunshinesnow
Reviewed February 25, 2014

We have just returned from a 10 day skiing holiday to Banff. Staying at the Mount Royal certainly made sure it was a wonderful trip.
The staff were so friendly and always helpful. Breakfast the adjoining restaurant was very good value for money, and the staff especially Tom ensured each day started on a high note.
The rooms were well equipped, the beds were very comfortable. I would go as far as saying the most comfortable of any hotel I have stayed in.
It is in a perfect location, right in the middle of town. The ski bus stops just outside, so there are no long walks to catch the bus.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
MRHGuestServices, Front Office Manager at Mount Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2014

Dear A M,

Hearing that our beds were the most comfortable of any hotel you have stayed in is wonderful praise! Thank you for your feedback and we are so glad that we could play a part in your trip being a wonderful one. This is what a holiday is all about.

Your praise of our staff has been passed along to them and they are ever grateful.

Hope all your ski holidays are wonderful

Reviewed February 19, 2014

After spending seven nights at MRH these were our impressions:

Let's start with the negatives, so we can finish off with the good stuff

- The Internet (WIFI) was the slowest we ever encountered in any hotel. Our room didn't have any signal so we had to change rooms after one night (we're travelling for a while and really need the net to book our next destination) Luckily one of the tech guys lent us an ethernet cable which we plugged in and were finally able to access the net.

- The water pressure was sure great (like many people rave about on TA), but the shower made this really loud, high-pitch, annoying noise which made it quite hard to take a shower and relax

- The hotel can be quite noisy, especially on weekends and many of the rooms look over the main road (not really the hotel's fault, but something to be aware of).

The good stuff:

- Customer service was well above average. Staff were helpful and willing to make a difference to our stay

- The free shuttle bus (if you purchase a ski pass valid for all three Banff ski resorts) stops right behing the hotel and the hotel offers free ski storage

- The spa pool (didn't try the sauna) was great after a hard day on the slopes.

I guess the internet being so slow and temperamental made us drop our rating by one star. Unfortunately we rely on good internet to stay in touch with our family and to organize the next leg of our trip, so that is something we are quite picky about.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room and try your WIFI connection before you unpack your bags
1  Thank el_ser83

Thank you so much for providing your feedback on your recent stay. We value your comments and use them in our quest to ever-improve our service.

We have heard the recent comments about our usually reliable Wi-Fi and we have spent the last 3 weeks trouble-shooting with our wireless service provider on what was making our network ineffective in certain areas of the hotel. I am happy to report that we have made some adjustments to the network that are now making the signal more reliable in all areas. But I do apologize for the issues you encountered during your stay and assure you that we will continue to keep close tabs on the network.

I would also like to thank you for your warm commnets about our staff and your recognition of their willingness to make a difference. They greatly appreciate hearing such remarks!

We hope to see you again one day and thank you for staying with us

Reviewed February 19, 2014

We stayed here the week of February 17th.

Location: Great!! Right on Banff Avenue, if you're coming to ski/snowboard the shuttle picks you up right at the back of the hotel. There is a hotel restaurant as well as a Tony Roma's in the same building, if that suits your fancy.

Staff: Excellent!! Staff are very friendly and always helpful.

Rooms: We were on the 2nd floor in a premium room with 2 queen beds. They do have a limited amount of rooms with king beds in them. The pillow top mattress was very comfortable. The room was quite large, no complaints in terms of space. The rooms and hotel building for that matter are dated and could use some significant updating. Our main issue was the noise, the walls and floors of this hotel are thin. So thin in fact that they provide complimentary earplugs in your room, you can hear people walking thru the hallways as well as hear footsteps from the room above you. My best advice here is to get a room on the top floor.

If you're looking for average accommodations at a reasonable price, aren't too fussy and are not a light sleeper I would recommend staying here.

Room Tip: try to get a room on the top floor
1  Thank JonM80
Reviewed February 18, 2014 via mobile

Very disappointed with staff. I have stayed here before and the rooms are average but fantastic location.
The staff repeatedly lies. When I asked for a room with a fridge they said that the building is old and can't handle fridges. The room I stayed in before had a fridge and their room service staff said there are fridges in some rooms. Then they said I couldn't switch rooms because the hotel was fully booked when their sign in the front clearly says there are vacancies.

Stayed: February 2014

Dear Sara L

I was sorry to read of your disappointment with our staff. We strive to train our staff thoroughly to be able to meet every potential situation and anticipate each guest's need, but I think in your experience there must have been a misunderstanding, and I apologize that my staff were not properly prepared for that. In point of fact, about 20% of our rooms accommodate a fridge and depending on the type of room you have booked, the availability of a vacant room with a fridge will decline greatly when we are nearly full. It sometimes happens that room types with a fridge can be sold out while the hotel itself may have vacancy overall. I am extremely sorry that this was not properly communicated to you, and I will see to it that all front desk staff are prepared for this in the future.

Wishing you the best in your travels

Reviewed February 17, 2014

Ok at first glance this hotel seemed great, and it could have been. It is an awesome location right in the middle of everything and if you request a room away from the road it is very quiet. The hotel room is very nice, comfortable everything you need. My major problem(and this really ruined our stay) was that the room we stayed in was sooo hot(i mean 25 degrees or higher) and the internal thermostat didn't work. We also had a room that we weren't able to open the window too. We stayed family day weekend so the hotel was booked up and we thought that when we first go to the room someone had turned the heat up, so we turned the thermostat down and went out for our evening. When we returned at 11:30 pm the room had not cooled down at all. We couldn't sleep with the covers, and luckily we brought our own fan(as we often do for white noise) so that helped, but it was so hot we woke up in sweats and both got a terrible nights sleep. And since I rate a hotel on my sleep quality I found this to be poor. I imagine it was just this wing of the hotel, and if we had said something earlier we could have been moved rooms, but this ruined our stay. It is a good price for downtown banff and I might stay again if I was able to see the room before I booked(to confirm that it wasn't a sauna inside).

Room Tip: Ask for one that has a window you can open.