Mount Royal Hotel
$428
$324
Official Hotel
Savings alert! 18% below average rates

The price you found is 18% lower than this hotel's average rate of $394/night.

$337
$465
$376
  • Restaurant
Savings alert! 21% below average rates

The price you found is 21% lower than this hotel's average rate of $478/night.

$359
  • Pool
Brewster's Mountain Lodge(Banff)(Great Value!)
$269
$262
  • Breakfast included
Savings alert! 10% below average rates

The price you found is 10% lower than this hotel's average rate of $292/night.

$225
$209
$225
Savings alert! 33% below average rates

The price you found is 33% lower than this hotel's average rate of $337/night.

1,104 results
All reviewsgreat locationthe main streetmiddle of townbanff avenuethird floorhistoric hotelhot tubfridgeskicanadasunshinesnow
Reviewed February 19, 2014

We stayed here the week of February 17th.

Location: Great!! Right on Banff Avenue, if you're coming to ski/snowboard the shuttle picks you up right at the back of the hotel. There is a hotel restaurant as well as a Tony Roma's in the same building, if that suits your fancy.

Staff: Excellent!! Staff are very friendly and always helpful.

Rooms: We were on the 2nd floor in a premium room with 2 queen beds. They do have a limited amount of rooms with king beds in them. The pillow top mattress was very comfortable. The room was quite large, no complaints in terms of space. The rooms and hotel building for that matter are dated and could use some significant updating. Our main issue was the noise, the walls and floors of this hotel are thin. So thin in fact that they provide complimentary earplugs in your room, you can hear people walking thru the hallways as well as hear footsteps from the room above you. My best advice here is to get a room on the top floor.

If you're looking for average accommodations at a reasonable price, aren't too fussy and are not a light sleeper I would recommend staying here.

Room Tip: try to get a room on the top floor
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JonM80
Reviewed February 18, 2014 via mobile

Very disappointed with staff. I have stayed here before and the rooms are average but fantastic location.
The staff repeatedly lies. When I asked for a room with a fridge they said that the building is old and can't handle fridges. The room I stayed in before had a fridge and their room service staff said there are fridges in some rooms. Then they said I couldn't switch rooms because the hotel was fully booked when their sign in the front clearly says there are vacancies.

Stayed: February 2014
MRHGuestServices, Front Office Manager at Mount Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2014

Dear Sara L

I was sorry to read of your disappointment with our staff. We strive to train our staff thoroughly to be able to meet every potential situation and anticipate each guest's need, but I think in your experience there must have been a misunderstanding, and I apologize that my staff were not properly prepared for that. In point of fact, about 20% of our rooms accommodate a fridge and depending on the type of room you have booked, the availability of a vacant room with a fridge will decline greatly when we are nearly full. It sometimes happens that room types with a fridge can be sold out while the hotel itself may have vacancy overall. I am extremely sorry that this was not properly communicated to you, and I will see to it that all front desk staff are prepared for this in the future.

Wishing you the best in your travels

Daren Hill
Front Office Manager
Brewster Hospitality

Reviewed February 17, 2014

Ok at first glance this hotel seemed great, and it could have been. It is an awesome location right in the middle of everything and if you request a room away from the road it is very quiet. The hotel room is very nice, comfortable everything you need. My major problem(and this really ruined our stay) was that the room we stayed in was sooo hot(i mean 25 degrees or higher) and the internal thermostat didn't work. We also had a room that we weren't able to open the window too. We stayed family day weekend so the hotel was booked up and we thought that when we first go to the room someone had turned the heat up, so we turned the thermostat down and went out for our evening. When we returned at 11:30 pm the room had not cooled down at all. We couldn't sleep with the covers, and luckily we brought our own fan(as we often do for white noise) so that helped, but it was so hot we woke up in sweats and both got a terrible nights sleep. And since I rate a hotel on my sleep quality I found this to be poor. I imagine it was just this wing of the hotel, and if we had said something earlier we could have been moved rooms, but this ruined our stay. It is a good price for downtown banff and I might stay again if I was able to see the room before I booked(to confirm that it wasn't a sauna inside).

Room Tip: Ask for one that has a window you can open.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 17, 2014 via mobile

We came to check in and were told that their check in time isn't until 4. We were a bit surprised, but left our stuff locked in their closet and went for a walk around the town. When we came back at 4 we were told that our room still wasn't ready. The lady helping me searched around and found us a different room that was ready. Thankfully, since the gent on the other side of her walkie talkie was saying it was going to be over an hour until our room was ready. When we walked into our room, we were confused. Modern furniture combined with poorly painted walls, and a severely stained and fraying carpet. Our bathroom was small, but I expected that, since we were staying in a very old hotel. What I didn't anticipate was the filth in the bathroom. Where the counter, tub and floor met the walls was a thick layer of dirt. (It was so bad that I snapped some pics on my phone) The water coming out of the sink stunk like rotten eggs, to the point that we used bottled water to brush our teeth. We also had no towels. We called down about the towels and were informed that we had no towels, because there were none clean. We left at one point to go check out the hot springs, and came back to find no parking. We called in and were told that we were going to have to try to find street parking then. That's right, they only have about 50 parking spots to support well over 100 rooms. When we got back from the hike from our car to our room we discovered that someone had brought us 2 towels. More were offered to us at 9pm, when we were already hanging out in bed. We love staying in Banff, and usually stay at the Ptarmigan, but thought we'd try somewhere new, since we loved the building and the reviews were decent. We've learned our lesson now.

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank TrishRom
Reviewed February 16, 2014

Nothing special but fairly priced and in the hustle and bustle of Banff. Staff were helpful and friendly. Was disappointed with the cleanliness of the sauna/jaccusi area. Tony Roma's that's connected to the hotel had great service and food. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2014
MRHGuestServices, Front Desk Supervisor at Mount Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2014

Dear Stacers77

Thank you for your most recent review of the Mount Royal Hotel. We are pleased that you enjoyed our helpful and friendly staff.

We take all feedback very seriously and sincerely apologies that you were disappointed in the cleanliness of the sauna and jacuzzi area. I have passed on your comments to our Executive Housekeeper to ensure this does not happen again.

Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to welcome you back in the future.

Meaghan Young