“avoid unless you're with a coach tour”
Review of Mount Royal Hotel

Mount Royal Hotel
Ranked #23 of 34 Hotels in Banff
Reviewed October 1, 2011

This place is owned by Brewster, which seems to own nearly all the hotels in Banff and run all the coach tours, so it's used mainly by coach parties.

We stayed here four nights. We were kept awake on the first night, firstly by a noisy group next door (walls seemed to be very thin), then by someone getting ready to leave early the next morning, probably because they were leaving on a coach tour. We got moved to an upstairs room without any problem, but were woken early on another night by people from another coach party leaving early.

The place is in need of modernisation, though our first room was better than the second.

Oh, and a black mark for service - I stupidly left my adaptor for UK plugs in a previous hotel, and managed to borrow one from a previous hotel without any problem, but the receptionist here just directed me to the nearest department store. Cheers.

At least the location was good - right in the centre and near plenty of good restaurants. We didn't have breakfast or dinner in the hotel.

Room Tip: go for the top floor - no creaking floorboards above
Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
MRHGuestServices, Manager at Mount Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2011

Thank-you for taking the time to send us your feedback regarding your recent visit at the Mount-Royal hotel.

I was very sorry to read that your most recent stay with us did not fully meet your expectation. You are correct in saying that the hotel is own by Brewster, but we are the only hotel that Brewster own in Banff. We do have a sister hotel at the Glacier ice field near Jasper. Like most hotel in Banff, we are extremely busy with tours and individuals during the summer season witch unfortunately means that at time those individuals tends to wake up early. I’m glad to see that our front-desk staff was able to provide you with a different room after your first night.

Once again thank-you for your comments, we do take them to heart.

Hotel management.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,104)

Reviewed September 27, 2011

Stayed here for 2 nights. Position excellent and looked o,.k. from outside. Room we had was large and rated "superior". Bathroom was dingy and dark and had signs of mold around bath and sink. Plumbing in bath was dire and water did not drain away quickly Did not complain as was only there for 2 days, any longer and I would have. Breakfast was disappointing for a full buffet and was not appetising. Also do not like the glass mugs, much prefer china, although, of course, that is a personal taste. Not sure, apart from position, would consider staying here again, as not very cheap.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
MRHGuestServices, Manager at Mount Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2011

Thank-you for taking the time to send us your comments regarding your last visit at the Mount-Royal hotel.

I am sorry to see that your stay did not fully meet your expectations. I will personally pass on all of your concerns to our department heads. We do take comments like yours very seriously and we use it as a tool to improve our overall product. I will also take a look at the breakfast buffet for myself.

Once again, thank-you for your feedback.

Reviewed September 25, 2011

The mount royal gave us a great rate on a double room, it was well proportioned and clean. One point only - there was not an opening window in the room which coupled with the air con made the air in the room rather dry!
Certainly didn't spoil our stay however, a great hotel!

• Stayed: September 2011

I was very pleased to see that you’ve enjoyed your visit with us. We do take great pride in our product and staff training, we always try to improve. It’s always nice to read such positive feedback.
I will pass on your comments to our staff.

Once again, thank-you for your comments and we hope to see you again.

Reviewed September 25, 2011

The hotel is right on the main street of Banff, a very convenient location with free parking and free wifi, but that is where the good things finish. Room is average but clean. The rooms are stuffy and most with very small windows that cannot be opened. The noise from the water pipes is very loud, every time the shower or toilet is used in another room you know about it. When we stayed the air conditioning broke down at 3.30pm in the afternoon and was not fixed until 11am the next day, no note or message to guest from management explaining the fault and the estimated time it would be fixed. Mentioned to front desk and they were, yes we know about it, it's fixed now. Also the bed was made with the wrong sized sheet, it only just tucked in on either side but only one end of the bed could be tucked in so either a lose sheet at the head or toes. It wasn't pleasant.

Room Tip: Rooms along the front street have larger windows.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple

Thank-you for your comments in regards to your last visit at the Mount-Royal hotel.

Our location is for sure unbeatable, seconds away from all the shops and restaurants. We are one of only a handful of hotels in Banff that do not charge for parking, it’s complementary for all guests. I will pass on your concerns to the appropriate department head. We do have several room categories at the hotel. Some have windows that open, some don’t. We are always willing to try and help our guest with their concerns once you are on site. Providing occupancy permits, we can offer you a different room.

Once again, thank-you for your feedback, it does help us improving.

Reviewed September 21, 2011

I have been visiting the Mount Royal Hotel for several years now (not by choice - I travel as part of a group) and this is by far the worst room I have had.

The king size bed was very saggy and neither my partner nor I slept well. We were at the end of the corridor (Room 247) and had almost no natural light as the room had a tiny window which looked out over what appeared to be the AC system. Added to this was what sounded like a clog dancer in the room above who was up and about by 5am, and a tiny, scruffy bathroom with thin, rough towels and you get the picture.

I appreciate that this is an old hotel - a fact that the owners are very proud of - but in this day and age a decent level of light, soundproofing and maintenance should be the least that a traveller can expect, even in the expensive location of Banff.

The staff are pleasant and helpful and the hotel is in a great location, but given the choice I wouldn't stay there again.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are protected from street noise, but not that of your neighbours stamping around
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple

Thank-you for taking the time to send us your comments regarding your most recent stay at the Mount-Royal hotel.

You are correct in saying that we are very proud of the heritage of the hotel, also we do take great pride in providing outstanding customer service. It’s nice to read that you thought our staff was very pleasant. I was sorry to read that you did not enjoy your room. If possible we are always happy to provide guest with a room move. I will pass on your concerns to the appropriate departments regarding the bed and the A/C unit in the room.

Once again, thank-you for your feedback.

Reviewed September 18, 2011

Great location, but doesn't matter much when you don't get much sleep. Because it's such an old building, there's no soundproofing, and there are big gaps under the doors. So you can hear everyone walking by, every elevator, every footstep above or below. The beds were too firm for me (unless you like firm beds). But the jacuzzi and sauna were very nice. There are tons of places on the same street - I'd look at those first.

Room Tip: If you have to stay here, ask for a room at the end of the hall where it might be quieter
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family

Thank-you for taking the time to send us your feedback regarding your most recent stay at the Mount-Royal hotel.

I was sorry to see that your stay did not meet your expectations. We are right in the middle of town and at times, depending on the location of your room it can get a little noisy. We are an historic hotel, having said that, we do try to improve our product every year. We have done so this year, new flat screen TV, new bed accent , etc.. I’m glad you took the time to go enjoy the Jacuzzi area.

Once again, thank-you for your comments.

Reviewed September 12, 2011

My best friend and I stayed here for 4 nights in AUgust. We have stayed before, and came back mainly because of the location. It is right in the center of town. The hotel itself is interesting, because of its history, however needs an update. Our room had poor light, and non working electrical outlets. The bathrooms are small, and the showers are not good. The plus side, are the beds, they are super comfortable, and the staff is very friendly. I am not sur eif I would stay again, mainly because the rooms are small and need some work.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
MRHGuestServices, Manager at Mount Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2011

You are correct in saying that we are a big part of Banff’s history, we are the second oldest hotel in town. We do try to improve our product yearly, for example, we now have flat screen TV in all of our rooms along with white bedding and red accent. I’m glad you like our beds, we do get a lot of positive feedback on them. You said that our staff were friendly, I’m glad to hear this because staff training is one of our primary goal at the hotel.

Once again, thank-you for your comments and we sincerely hope to see you again.

Hotel management