“DONT DO IT!!!!!”

Ranked #23 of 32 Hotels in Banff
Calgary, Canada
“DONT DO IT!!!!!”
Reviewed May 22, 2011

Seriously... Dont do it....
It is terrible and the staff are rude!
We were given a TINY room with a view of the roof. We had to switch rooms.
It is old and dirty and just not plesant at all.
The location is amazing. you are right in the middle of all of the night life and shops.
If it was only $80.00 a night to stay there it would be worth it. But $150.00 is way to much to pay for what you get.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Palmtrees94
MRHGuestServices, Manager at Mount Royal Hotel, responded to this review, June 4, 2011
Thank-you for taking the time to send us your feedback regarding your most recent stay at the Mount-Royal hotel.

I was sorry to read that you did not have a pleasant stay. We do take great pride in insuring that all of our guest needs are met at all times. We have different room category, some rooms are smaller than others just like most hotels in Banff and price do vary depending on how a guest makes his or her booking.

Once again, we do apologize if your stay did not meet your expectation and hope that you will try the hotel one more time

Hotel management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 20, 2011

On the front desk is a electronic brochure with very attractive refurbished looking rooms. It seems that many of the rooms are in need of refurbishment and small by Canadian standards. There is a charge for local and free 0800 numbers. This is in the centre of town and therefore in a noisy location and does attract noisy guests. The outlook of some rooms is poor but they are quiet as not facing the main street.

Room Tip: you will have to pay extrafor superior and up room
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank theairtraveller
MRHGuestServices, Manager at Mount Royal Hotel, responded to this review, May 21, 2011
Good morning and thank-you for taking the time to send us your comments regarding your last visit here at the hotel,

I was sorry to see that your experience was not to your liking. In regards to the phone charge, we do charge for all outgoing calls, this practice is quite common in most of Banff hotels. We try to upgrade our room décor as often as possible. For example, we now have white bedding in all of our rooms now, and we will have flat screen TV in all of our rooms in the next couple of months. Like most hotels in Banff, some rooms are quieter then others. We are quite happy to room move you if the room is not to your liking.

Once again thank-you for your feedback

Hotel management

Travelers are raving about these Banff hotels

Houston, Texas
Reviewed May 8, 2011

Our room was hot and stuffy with no way to cool it down. Were told by staff that air conditioning had not been turned on yet. Since we were unable to open a window we asked to be moved to a room that had windows we could open. We were relocated to a room above the back entrance and even though we could open a window to cool the room down, we had to endure the noise of diesel buses idling bellow us and noise of people coming and going. Didn't sleep very well because of all that. On the upside the hotel is conveniently located on Banff ave, and is reasonably priced. Would not stay there again however due to not being able to control the temperature of the room.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Russ H
MRHGuestServices, Manager at Mount Royal Hotel, responded to this review, May 10, 2011
Good morning and thank-you for taking the time to send us your comments regarding your most recent stay at the Mount-Royal hotel.

I was sorry to see that you did not fully enjoy your stay her at the hotel. In regards to the heating issue you’ve experience, we are in the process of rectifying the problem. We are an historic hotel and we do face challenges like this one from time to time. We are always doing everything possible to make sure that our guest are comfortable at all times.
I would hope that you would consider giving us another chance in the future.

Once again, thank-you for your feedback

Elgin, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 28, 2011

Arriving at the hotel early we couldnt checkin but they gave us a parking pass that meant we could park up and go for some lunch. The rooms are comfortable but I found the bed a little soft however my wife and daughter felt they were fine. The room was very clean and in a good state of repair. The only thing was we were in the new wing which is quite a walk away from the lifts, if you are less mobile ask for a room close to the elevators. The good thing and the bad thing about the hotel is its location, on the first night a saturday it was noisy outside until about 2 am not helped by our room being almost over the entrance to a night club, however the subsequent nights it was fine. However to be in the centre of Banff this is a small price to pay. The concierge Ryan is one of the most helpful people we encountered on our trip and is really knowledgable and professional. We would happily recommend this hotel and would stay again.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank jockboyo
MRHGuestServices, Manager at Mount Royal Hotel, responded to this review, May 3, 2011
Good afternoon and thank-you for taking the time to send us your comments regarding your most recent stay at the Mount-Royal hotel.

I’m pleased to see that you had such a good time here at the hotel. I do agree with you, our location is unbeatable, right in the heart of Banff, difficult to top this. I will pass on your nice comments to our concierge Ryan. And just on a side note, we are in the process of purchasing new mattresses for the entire hotel so hopefully you will find the beds more comfortable on your next visit.

Once again, thank-you for all of your feedback and we hope to see you again.

Scotland
Reviewed April 25, 2011

On my next trip to Banff I would stay here again as it is located right in the middle of the town, easy access with the shuttle from Calgary airport and the rooms were clean and comfortable. The only things are that housekeeping came to clean the rooms at 8:00am - a bit early and the staff were unable to provide good options for eating out which were not located in the hotel.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Alkenna
MRHGuestServices, Manager at Mount Royal Hotel, responded to this review, April 26, 2011
Thank-you for taking the time to send us your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Mount-Royal hotel,

I’m thrilled to see that you had such a positive experience here at the hotel, I couldn’t agree with you more regarding the location of the hotel. It’s central, right down town and minutes away from all the shops and restaurants, very convenient. I will pass on your comments to our Executive housekeeper regarding the 8:00am start, thank-you for letting me know. As for breakfast, I personally will make sure that all of our front line staff at front-desk are familiar with all breakfast restaurants.

Once again, thank-you for your comments and we sincerely hope to see you again.

Widnes, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 10, 2011

I stayed at The Mount Royal with my 20 year old daughter - we were skiing (conditions end March beginning of April were awesome!)
The Mount Royal is a prefectly good hotel. As previously stated, its location is prefect for downtown shops/restaurants/bars.
I have stayed in Banff twice previously but at uptown hotels. This was our first stay at The Mount Royal and I am so glad we did! The main reason being that the ski bus for Sunshine Village, no longer picks up at uptown hotels (of which there are many!). This means that residents of these hotels had to walk (or get a taxi/local bus) to The Mount Royal which is where the ski bus picks up. Some hotels are a good 20 minute walk away which when carrying boots & skis/boards, would be a real pain !
The Mount Royal is clean and perfectly adequate. The bathroom in our room was small and a bit dated. The spa is also a bit dated but the hot tub was great after a day on the mountains (prefectly hot enough). The shower in our room was fantastic and the beds are so comfy you will not want to get out. We stayed at the back of the hotel, overlooking the car park - it was quiet and was probably better than staying at the front which I guess might get a little noisy at the weekend. Also, a lot of the uptown hotels have a trainline running along the back which can be noisy at night.
Breakfast is $15 each which for us would be a waste of money as a couple of pieces of toast are our limit. Alternatives to the hotel breakfast are McDonalds/Subway which are both very close by or Melissa's which is a couple of streets away which is always busy at breakfast time.
The staff at the hotel are helpful and the maids did a great job.
Thanks for a great stay at The Mount Royal. We will definately consider staying with you again.
TIPS FOR UK SKIERS/BOARDERS: If you are considering booking through one of the major winter sports travel companies, drop me an email BEFORE you book lift passes/equipment hire as I have a couple of websites that we used that saved us over £500!

Room Tip: ask for room at rear of hotel - quieter
  • Stayed April 2011
1 Thank ladybird2254
MRHGuestServices, Manager at Mount Royal Hotel, responded to this review, April 12, 2011
Good morning and thank-you for sending us your feedback regarding you visit at the Mount-Royal hotel,

First, I would like to thank you for choosing us for your most recent holiday. I’m thrilled to see that you had such a good experience while you were here, it’s certainly is nice to read such positive comments. Our location is one of our biggest asset, as you said yourself, seconds away from the ski bus. Staff training and guest satisfaction are also big assets here at the hotel. I’m also glad to read that you’ve enjoyed the Jacuzzi area, it is nice to have a soak after a long day of skiing. I will pass on all of your comments to the appropriate department.
Once again, thank-you for your comments and we certainly hope to see you next year.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 9, 2011

We stayed at Mount Royal for ski holiday and loved it.

This is the perfect hotel for Skiers as bus stops outside- very punctual.

I felt very at home at this hotel and right in heart of everthing (shops and bars)
Elk and Oarsman over the road is great value for food and has specials on each night.

The beds are the most comfy I have slept in

The spa-pool was fabously hot and perfect after skiing in -32, aslo showers and bath (only took about 1 minute to fill bath)

Only negative comment was Ray the maintenance man who spoke to me like a naughty child when I dared to say sauna was cool.

I would not let this put me off staying at this hotel again though.

All other staff curtious and polite

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank samsupersam
MRHGuestServices, Manager at Mount Royal Hotel, responded to this review, March 15, 2011
Good morning,

Thank-you for taking the time to send us your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Mount-Royal hotel.
I’m very happy to see that you had such a good experience in our facility. Our location is for sure one of our biggest asset, minutes away from all the restaurants, shops and seconds away from the ski bus pick-up. The Jacuzzi and sauna are very relaxing after a hard day of skiing, I’m glad you went and had a nice soak. I will pass on your nice comment regarding our beds to our executive housekeeper.

Once again, thank-you for your comments and we hope to see you again.