“Right in the middle of Banff”
Review of Mount Royal Hotel

Mount Royal Hotel
Ranked #23 of 34 Hotels in Banff
Reviewed April 28, 2011

Arriving at the hotel early we couldnt checkin but they gave us a parking pass that meant we could park up and go for some lunch. The rooms are comfortable but I found the bed a little soft however my wife and daughter felt they were fine. The room was very clean and in a good state of repair. The only thing was we were in the new wing which is quite a walk away from the lifts, if you are less mobile ask for a room close to the elevators. The good thing and the bad thing about the hotel is its location, on the first night a saturday it was noisy outside until about 2 am not helped by our room being almost over the entrance to a night club, however the subsequent nights it was fine. However to be in the centre of Banff this is a small price to pay. The concierge Ryan is one of the most helpful people we encountered on our trip and is really knowledgable and professional. We would happily recommend this hotel and would stay again.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank jockboyo
MRHGuestServices, Manager at Mount Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2011

Good afternoon and thank-you for taking the time to send us your comments regarding your most recent stay at the Mount-Royal hotel.

I’m pleased to see that you had such a good time here at the hotel. I do agree with you, our location is unbeatable, right in the heart of Banff, difficult to top this. I will pass on your nice comments to our concierge Ryan. And just on a side note, we are in the process of purchasing new mattresses for the entire hotel so hopefully you will find the beds more comfortable on your next visit.

Once again, thank-you for all of your feedback and we hope to see you again.

Hotel management.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,104)

Reviewed April 25, 2011

On my next trip to Banff I would stay here again as it is located right in the middle of the town, easy access with the shuttle from Calgary airport and the rooms were clean and comfortable. The only things are that housekeeping came to clean the rooms at 8:00am - a bit early and the staff were unable to provide good options for eating out which were not located in the hotel.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Alkenna
MRHGuestServices, Manager at Mount Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2011

Thank-you for taking the time to send us your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Mount-Royal hotel,

I’m thrilled to see that you had such a positive experience here at the hotel, I couldn’t agree with you more regarding the location of the hotel. It’s central, right down town and minutes away from all the shops and restaurants, very convenient. I will pass on your comments to our Executive housekeeper regarding the 8:00am start, thank-you for letting me know. As for breakfast, I personally will make sure that all of our front line staff at front-desk are familiar with all breakfast restaurants.

Once again, thank-you for your comments and we sincerely hope to see you again.

Reviewed April 10, 2011

I stayed at The Mount Royal with my 20 year old daughter - we were skiing (conditions end March beginning of April were awesome!)
The Mount Royal is a prefectly good hotel. As previously stated, its location is prefect for downtown shops/restaurants/bars.
I have stayed in Banff twice previously but at uptown hotels. This was our first stay at The Mount Royal and I am so glad we did! The main reason being that the ski bus for Sunshine Village, no longer picks up at uptown hotels (of which there are many!). This means that residents of these hotels had to walk (or get a taxi/local bus) to The Mount Royal which is where the ski bus picks up. Some hotels are a good 20 minute walk away which when carrying boots & skis/boards, would be a real pain !
The Mount Royal is clean and perfectly adequate. The bathroom in our room was small and a bit dated. The spa is also a bit dated but the hot tub was great after a day on the mountains (prefectly hot enough). The shower in our room was fantastic and the beds are so comfy you will not want to get out. We stayed at the back of the hotel, overlooking the car park - it was quiet and was probably better than staying at the front which I guess might get a little noisy at the weekend. Also, a lot of the uptown hotels have a trainline running along the back which can be noisy at night.
Breakfast is $15 each which for us would be a waste of money as a couple of pieces of toast are our limit. Alternatives to the hotel breakfast are McDonalds/Subway which are both very close by or Melissa's which is a couple of streets away which is always busy at breakfast time.
The staff at the hotel are helpful and the maids did a great job.
Thanks for a great stay at The Mount Royal. We will definately consider staying with you again.
TIPS FOR UK SKIERS/BOARDERS: If you are considering booking through one of the major winter sports travel companies, drop me an email BEFORE you book lift passes/equipment hire as I have a couple of websites that we used that saved us over £500!

Room Tip: ask for room at rear of hotel - quieter
  • Stayed: April 2011
1  Thank ladybird2254
MRHGuestServices, Manager at Mount Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2011

Good morning and thank-you for sending us your feedback regarding you visit at the Mount-Royal hotel,

First, I would like to thank you for choosing us for your most recent holiday. I’m thrilled to see that you had such a good experience while you were here, it’s certainly is nice to read such positive comments. Our location is one of our biggest asset, as you said yourself, seconds away from the ski bus. Staff training and guest satisfaction are also big assets here at the hotel. I’m also glad to read that you’ve enjoyed the Jacuzzi area, it is nice to have a soak after a long day of skiing. I will pass on all of your comments to the appropriate department.
Once again, thank-you for your comments and we certainly hope to see you next year.

Reviewed March 9, 2011

We stayed at Mount Royal for ski holiday and loved it.

This is the perfect hotel for Skiers as bus stops outside- very punctual.

I felt very at home at this hotel and right in heart of everthing (shops and bars)
Elk and Oarsman over the road is great value for food and has specials on each night.

The beds are the most comfy I have slept in

The spa-pool was fabously hot and perfect after skiing in -32, aslo showers and bath (only took about 1 minute to fill bath)

Only negative comment was Ray the maintenance man who spoke to me like a naughty child when I dared to say sauna was cool.

I would not let this put me off staying at this hotel again though.

All other staff curtious and polite

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank samsupersam
MRHGuestServices, Manager at Mount Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2011

Good morning,

Thank-you for taking the time to send us your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Mount-Royal hotel.
I’m very happy to see that you had such a good experience in our facility. Our location is for sure one of our biggest asset, minutes away from all the restaurants, shops and seconds away from the ski bus pick-up. The Jacuzzi and sauna are very relaxing after a hard day of skiing, I’m glad you went and had a nice soak. I will pass on your nice comment regarding our beds to our executive housekeeper.

Once again, thank-you for your comments and we hope to see you again.

Reviewed March 3, 2011

We were a party of 7 staying in 3 rooms at the Mount Royal for 7 nights. We had read some of the negative reviews on here but needn't of worried. The hotel staff were great very helpful in getting us rooms together and booking taxi's or restaurants for us. The rooms were very clean and bright with 2 large comfy beds and plenty of wardrobe space. We had rooms on both front and back of hotel but were never woken by the buses and any street noise was over by 10pm. There was a group of noisy guests but the hotel staff were very good at getting them to be quiet. There were free tea and coffee facilities in the room. The bathroom was small but clean and with loads of hot water for a nice soak in the bath. We used the jacuzzi every night and it was always hot with plenty of clean towels. The free internet did get to be a bit slow at busy times but was available in all of our rooms.
This hotel is in a great central location for shops and ski bus right outside. We had some fantastic meals in the hotel restaurant Tony Romas and also across the road at The Keg and the Elk & Oarsman.
We would definitely go back to The Mount Royal and cant wait to book next year

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank minione21
MRHGuestServices, Manager at Mount Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2011

Good day to you,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Mount-Royal hotel. I’m trilled to see that you had such a positive experience during your stay, we do take pride in providing outstanding customer service trough out the entire hotel. I’m also glad to see that you’ve enjoyed all of the amenities that the hotel has to offer. I will pass on to our staff your positive remarks. The next time you visit our hotel, you will find that the internet will be faster and more reliable. We are currently in the process of updating our system.

Once again, thank-you for your kind words and we hope to see you next year.

Reviewed February 26, 2011

I definitely think that for a quick stay in Banff, this is a nice, affordable, and perfectly located hotel.

We had two complaints,

1. The hot tub was barely luke warm, you might as well take a shower if you're looking for hot water. It was disappointing.

2. The staff did not seem too eager to cater to their customers, we called down to front desk to find out if they could send us a bottle opener. The girl on the phone seemed annoyed and said she "didn't think they had any of those", not only is it a very common place small appliance but she didn't even offer to actually find out. Too bad, left us with a bit of a sour taste in our mouths...

Either way, if you're looking for affordability and location, this is a good choice.

Ps, there are no warnings about this - But they're check-in isn't until 4:00 pm, so make sure you're not too early as that can be a very dissapointing surprise!

• Stayed: February 2011
MRHGuestServices, Manager at Mount Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2011

Good afternoon and thank-you for taking the time to right a review regarding your last stay at the Mount-Royal hotel. I’m happy to see that you think our hotel is affordable and very well located, I do agree with you on both count. I will personally make some inquiries to see what happened in regards the your request for a bottle opener. As for our check in time, it is standard and quit common in Banff, however we will be more diligent in the future in informing our guest at the time of reservation. We do strive to be better day in day out and with comments like yours it gives us tools to do just that.

Once again, thank-you for your comments and we hope to see you soon.

Reviewed February 11, 2011

I stayed at the Mount Royal for a ski weekend. The location is incredible, as you are right in the heart of Banff Ave. It's a bit dated, but it was clean and the staff was friendly. The only complaint I have is that the hot pool was not hot. If you are looking for upscale lodging, this is not the place for you. If you are looking for decent value for a convenient place to stay in Banff, this is perfect. I will certainly stay there on my next trip to Banff.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo
MRHGuestServices, Manager at Mount Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2011

Good afternoon and thank you for taking the time to send us your feedback regarding your last stay at the hotel. I agree with you that our location is unbeatable. Right in the heart of Banff and seconds away from all the ski bus pick up. Here at the hotel, we always try to improve our product. You will be happy to hear that the temperature of the Jacuzzi is now warmer, this issue has been resolved thanks in part to comment like yours. On your next visit, make sure to ask our guest service agents for a list of our new add on.

We hope to see you soon.